Vai v.s Friedman v.s Yanni v.s Kitaro

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Post Reply
hopeless
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm

I dont know guys if you knwo about Yanni or Kitaro.. or at least if you ever tried to hear their music.. I've watched the best of in a dvd last week and ever since i keep watching Yanni's and Kitaro's dvd.. it's one of the greatest peices of new music that you might feel or hear.. NOthing has such a mood of Kitaro's keyboard as well as Yanni's perfection. They both are so great to an extent that they make you feel that Vai and Friedman are really inferior to Yanni and Kitaro. Am not saying that they aint good.. we all know how vai and friedman are good.. but when you listen to Yanni or Kitaro or hear them, you feel that there's a very huge space or separation of levels between the music that Yanni or Kitaro play and the music of Vai and Friedman. AM not talknig about the kind of music, but about the quality. Well the draw back of Kitaro's music is that he plays the same mood but this is because he lived in once place.. and Yanni usually changes the moods. I believe that if Yanni and Kitaro would do something together (am not sure if they already did) then this would be the peak of the music.\
Btw, tyr to listen to Friedman and Kitaro playing together and you will see how great it sounds.. so how would it be when the 4 of these compose one song...
User avatar
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher
Member
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 am

Kitaro is great, love his music. Not sure if you know this, but Jon Anderson from Yes does some vocals on Kitaro's "Dream" cd.

Not too much into Yanni. Heard some of his stuff, just don't have any of it.
hopeless
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Oh i didnt know that about Anderson.. i relaly envy him frankly.. i've realized that really few ppl know about kitaro or yanni ...
I believe the essence to compose good music is to listen to all kinds of music... :S
User avatar
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher
Member
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 am

As a musician, I can definitely attest to the fact that all of the different styles that I'm into have made me a much better player, especially when it comes to odd time signatures. I doubt if I would have become the player I am today if it weren't for the diversity in my listening preferences.

I really enjoy incorporating all of the different styles I've been exposed to, into the music I've played in bands in the past & into the music I'm currently helping to create now. To me, that's one of the most interesting things about being a musician & songwriter.

As for the essence to composing good music being in listening to all kinds of music, I don't think it always applies, but it definitely helps when it does apply. I've been in a few bands with musicians that have somewhat narrow musical tastes, & they still made very worthy contributions all across the board & imo, we still were able to right good songs.
Gulliver
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 pm

hopeless wrote: They both are so great to an extent that they make you feel that Vai and Friedman are really inferior to Yanni and Kitaro. Am not saying that they aint good.. we all know how vai and friedman are good.. but when you listen to Yanni or Kitaro or hear them, you feel that there's a very huge space or separation of levels between the music that Yanni or Kitaro play and the music of Vai and Friedman. AM not talknig about the kind of music, but about the quality.
I think you don't know yourself what are you talking about. :roll:
hopeless
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm

well...i assure you i do know what am talking about man :S .
bbkane
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:29 pm

Gulliver wrote:
hopeless wrote: They both are so great to an extent that they make you feel that Vai and Friedman are really inferior to Yanni and Kitaro. Am not saying that they aint good.. we all know how vai and friedman are good.. but when you listen to Yanni or Kitaro or hear them, you feel that there's a very huge space or separation of levels between the music that Yanni or Kitaro play and the music of Vai and Friedman. AM not talknig about the kind of music, but about the quality.
I think you don't know yourself what are you talking about. :roll:
agreed
yanni is a joke
User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am

Kitaro has done some nice stuff. Silk Road is a record I remember as being ok. As far as Jon Anderson, btw, I prefer his work with Vangelis (because I prefer Vangelis, that dude is a monster player, or at least used to be and musically some striking parallels with Vai..although I don't think of Vangelis music as 'New Age' where as Yanni & Kitaro are). I guess as far as New Age goes, I kinda like Some stuff by Andreas Vollenweider, especially "Behind the garden, behind the wall, under the tree".

Any comparisation as to who is better and all that is ofcourse crappe le bull ;)
Gulliver
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 pm

hopeless wrote:
AM not talknig about the kind of music, but about the quality.

well...i assure you i do know what am talking about man :S .
So you are saying that the quality of Vai's music is lower than that of Yanni and Kitaro, right? Well, you may like Vai's music less, that's understandable, but insisting that it's lower in quality is a total bullshit, man.
hopeless
Member
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:46 pm

Gulliver wrote:
hopeless wrote:
AM not talknig about the kind of music, but about the quality.

well...i assure you i do know what am talking about man :S .
So you are saying that the quality of Vai's music is lower than that of Yanni and Kitaro, right? Well, you may like Vai's music less, that's understandable, but insisting that it's lower in quality is a total bullshit, man.
Well why do u guys take it so personal when we say that there's someone who plays better music than Vai.. i didnt insult him pft. All what i've said is that with respect to me i think that the creativity of musicians like Yanni, Kitaro, Marty, BECKER outways that of Vai. I find in their music other essence than that's of Vai. It's my point of view and it's not "bullshit".
Gulliver
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 pm

Well, hopeless, I have news for you... IMHO, Yanny's music sucks.

I am saying this because you obviously didn't get my point. You quoted my reply, yet the only word you noticed was "bullshit". How cute.
User avatar
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher
Member
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 am

I don't get the whole "lower in quality" thing either. :? It's totally different music & it's not really fair to either one to compare them. Yanni does what he does & that's fine, but I just could never get into the stuff I've heard by him, didn't make me want to go out & buy anything by him.

Now Kitaro, I really dig his stuff, he's got some really cool music, & as for Vai & Friedman, well anyone that's a member of this site is well aware of Steve's great music & ability, & probably Marty's accomplishments too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with the "bullshit" part. :wink:
Gulliver
Member
Member
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:33 pm

@ CymbalSplittingSkinbasher: :wink:
User avatar
miker
Member
Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:38 pm

Yanni and John Tesh like... totally rock. Totally. Why, Yanni is to music, what Fabio is to fashion! Gag me with a spoon, he's totally tubular! Totally. Fer sure, fer sure.

oh... i'm sorry. i was channeling moon unit for a minute there... must get my... medication.
User avatar
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher
Member
Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:59 am

I think Yanni's greatest accomplishment was breaking the Greek national record in freestyle swimming at age 14!!! Now that's cool! 8)

I'm a bit familiar with Yanni's debut, "Keys to Imagination," which is a really good listen & probably his best studio work & I'd recommend that one for sure, but the rest of his stuff doesn't really appeal to me.
Post Reply