Goin' to see Satch tonight

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Birdman

I'm off to see my first Satch gig tonight. Never really been a fan since the Surfin days, but anyway. I'll give anthing a go once. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Only bad thing is , it's at the same venue Steve played at a few months back. Hope the sound is better than that, or I ain't gonnalike it. Anyone else going?
jemgirl

have a good time birdman!!

cheers,
patricia :wink:
Bono

I'm not jealous...honest! :lol:

Have a good time though :) I've yet to see either Steve or Joe in a solo concert...if the rumour of a September tour is true for Steve, it will be one hell of a 20th Birthday present lol...
lucky7

I'm off to Joe's Melbourne gig tonight at The Forum. 8) :D
Birdman give a review of the show! :lol:
Steve when in town usually plays at The Palace, so if anyone remembers the reviews from the July show it was a crap venue (great show though!)
I have never seen Joe live or been to The Forum, it's gonna be great.

Joe has an aftershow contest too, but only three people chosen for each gig. One chosen was a guy called OZ_Connection, he offered myself and a lot of other people the chance to purchase one of his passes, I mean the cheek of some, he is lucky enough to win two passes, and now wants to make money off them. I wish his passes were revoked.
I am jealous but people like that just p. me off!
8)
Birdman

If I were you, I'd sell your ticket and stay at home. Whatever is on TV will be FAR more entertaining. I'm not joking. It was at the same place as Steve played, and it did SOUND way better than Steve's show. M<y opinion on this is that Steve's show right now has too much to it. Satch just had him, Matt Bissonette , Campitelli on drums, and a rhythm guitar that you could hardly hear anyway, but it made for a very clear sound that you could hear everything, where Steve just has too many things fighting for noise space, and it just gets lost, too loud etc. SIMPLIFY Steve, the shows at the Coogee bay were astounding, and I believe this is the reason.......much simpler.

Anyway, like i said I'd never been into Satch in any real way, but I wanted to go and prove myself wrong. I like walking away being surprised and happy. Unfortunately, I walked away knowing that I had been right all these years. He plays the same 4 or 5 licks over 11ty chord progressions (songs) and it just gets so f'kin boring. It got to the point where I'd watch him play his standard pentatonic repetitive lick that anyone here could and probably does play on their ear every other night, and I'd think "OK, this is the 9th time I've heard this tonight, I bet next, he does.............. " and before I could finish my thought, yep, he went into his "pick/tapping Satch signature lick". Then he'd play a scale at 11ty miles an hour, then the pentatonic lick again. Wait, he raised an arm in the air, and the crown goes nuts, simply amazing, NOT. Then just for something different ( that word hardly seems to apply to this gig, from anywhere after the 4th number) he'd hit his "squeal" pedal and make stupid ooooooowiiiiiiii noises. About half way through, me and my mate went to the foyer and drank beer for the rest of it and talked about how much better Vai was, and that I'd much rather listen to my old teacher play than anything I'd heard tonight. Yes, he can play fast, yes he's clean................ no he doesn't conjure ANY emotion in me at all, as much as I tried to like it. Everything he did in the 3 hours he played, he'd done by the 4th tune in. Sorry guys, you MIGHT love it, but I'm betting you won't. Have fun, and let me know what YOU thought.
bbkane

awesome man
I saw satch over the summer
he's so much fun to watch
did he play hands in air?
you know whats awesome about him
he plays a huge variety of different scales and chords
it would take an idiot to say that he plays only pentatonic scales
EyesOfFire0221

well lets put it this way

Satch = morte bluesy rock

Vai= more virtuostic rock

Any Questions ?

lol
Birdman

Cool, I'm not an idiot then, coz I NEVER said he plays ONLY pentatonic scales. Only an idiot would comment like that when they obviously can't comprehend what they're reading before they open their mouth. :roll:

I said he played "A scale" very fast. Yes he played many, but in the sameorder of "scale, tapping lick, pentatonic lick, scale, ooowii button, scale" , with the same feel, and monotony over and over again. To me, it was just a backing track, with someone that could play scales very well, and had a cool "effect" that they loved using, and the backing track was on a loop.

Like I said, I have never DISLIKED Satch, and I wanted to come away pleasantly surprised, but I didn't. I'd go and see Vai every other day of the week, but if I never see Satch play agin, I won't be dissapointed.
realgreenfire

dam im jealous! we were supposedto have band practice last night and there was only 2 people including me!!

hope you had a KICK ASS time

steve
Bono

I was really suprised when I saw Satch for the first time last year at the G3 show...I really thought that he wouldn't be energetic at all and I thought he was going to be a dissapointment after watching Steve. I was soo wrong lol...although he's not half as eccentric as Steve is, Joe definatley fills the room with the groove...what Joe may lack in stage prescence he definatley fills the atmosphere in...he's not as laid back as I thought he'd be...he was jumping around everywhere and he was having loads of fun. I remember a few people rushing right to the front when Steve came on, but when Joe came on, loads more people did lol...& by the way his tone is just awesome through those new peaveys.
GuitarStrings

Bono wrote:I was really suprised when I saw Satch for the first time last year at the G3 show...I really thought that he wouldn't be energetic at all and I thought he was going to be a dissapointment after watching Steve. I was soo wrong lol...although he's not half as eccentric as Steve is, Joe definatley fills the room with the groove...what Joe may lack in stage prescence he definatley fills the atmosphere in...he's not as laid back as I thought he'd be...he was jumping around everywhere and he was having loads of fun. I remember a few people rushing right to the front when Steve came on, but when Joe came on, loads more people did lol...& by the way his tone is just awesome through those new peaveys.
Yeah I totally agree... on last year's G3 he was SO energetic, jumping around everywhere, but hitting the notes so precisely at the same time.. it was literally jaw droppin. His tone is so good, and he really has feeling when he plays.
People just analyse too much when they listen to guitar music... "scales"... "chord progressions"... "oooowiiii botton"... "tappin"... "pentatonic"... hey man listen to the Music!
Well, it may be really "boring", as I was not at THAT show, but I have the impression that this guy analyses too much, that he was there to hear the "difference"... anyway I am not saying that he is wrong. Just my impression. :)
Birdman

I was there to get into it and walk away feeling surprised. i'm not normally the guy at the back with my arms folded looking serious and saying "we're better than them". Haha But it got to the point where I HAD to anylise, coz I was gonna go to sleep otherwise. I have spoken to others that are lovers of music too, all music, not just guitar or heavey etc, and a few said the same thing. BORING.

Yes Satch is a GREAT player, not arguing that, YES his tone is f'kin KILLER, I loved it. Yes he is a very cool dude, and the atmosphere was great. So then why did I endup at the bar drinking beer? (besides the fact I'm an aclo? Haha) where as at Steve's show, I had seen that exact show 100 times on the astoria dvd, but I was quite happy to sit there and watch it again, live, and get emersed in the whole feel of it all etc?

Like I said on Nuno's site, even if what I'm saying is wrong, and he never played the same thing twice (which is total bs in my opinion) it still SEEMED that way, and you know what they say, perception is reality.
bbkane

and if you're an alcoholic that would explain your perception
Birdman

I was KIDDING. HERRROOOOOO??? 8)
Roy Boy

lol :lol: I didn't drink anything all afternoon so I wouldn't have to leave my spot near the front :D