Guthrie Govan NAMM Live Show Video Clips

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
singleton33
Newcomer

Tone Merchants just posted this page of video clips of Guthrie Govan playing there duing NAMM week. Check 'em out. Really cool!

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Go ... _Clips.htm

That country tune clip (#7) is just insane. :shock:
Melodic Dreamer

Guthrie Govan is a guy who could easily make Vai fans jealous. I'm not saying anyone should make music a competition or anything, but these people make Vai out to the most amazing nuance/vocal guitarist must have not heard Guthrie Freaking Govan!

It's like he is a mix of, Steve himself/ Shawn Lane/ Greg Howe/ Brett Garsed/ Steve Morse. lol

Playing anything and everything from Rock/Metal/Prog/Classical/Jazz/Fusion/Country and Rockabilly

Amazing speed/alt,econ,Hybrid picking/ 8-finger tapping/amazing bar work from Vai - Beck - Henderson and so on. The man can almost do anything. Plus he is a freaking awesome improviser.
tim_knox

yah guthrie is probably my favorite solo guitarist at the moment, he is absolutely amazing!!! I think he would be the best candidate in my mind for G3, and i think he would be perfect for Vai's label, I hope Vai has heard him.
Gregocide

tim_knox wrote:yah guthrie is probably my favorite solo guitarist at the moment, he is absolutely amazing!!! I think he would be the best candidate in my mind for G3, and i think he would be perfect for Vai's label, I hope Vai has heard him.

Guthrie is great, I'd love to see him on G3.

The other guy I'd like to see on a G3 is Marcel.
Trimb

Does this guy have albums available to buy then? I've read his tutorials in Guitar Techniques(?) and never realised he had a fan base of his own. Also I once spotted him at Southampton train station and my guitar teacher said that he was probably there for some convention/festival (can't remmber now). I was shocked at how tall the man is - he's giant!
Ant711UK

Guthrie is renown for being able to play exactly like any player.

I've played with guys who studied under him and they say he is incredible, however I'm interested in hearing what 'Guthrie' sounds like and not what he's capable of copying. I think composition is equally as important as technical ability. So if his compositions are great then there's no reason why he can't be the next big thing in guitar.

I'm looking forward to hearing his solo stuff.
Real_Confusions

Damn. He really has some amazing stuff.
Melodic Dreamer

His album should be out this year. I got two dvds of him just throwing down some of the coolest licks ever. His songs "Wonderful Slippery Thing" and "Erotic Cakes" are just awesome.
Real_Confusions

Melodic Dreamer wrote:His album should be out this year. I got two dvds of him just throwing down some of the coolest licks ever. His songs "Wonderful Slippery Thing" and "Erotic Cakes" are just awesome.
Cool, I might to get some.
treeduck

tim_knox wrote:yah guthrie is probably my favorite solo guitarist at the moment, he is absolutely amazing!!! I think he would be the best candidate in my mind for G3, and i think he would be perfect for Vai's label, I hope Vai has heard him.
Yeah I totally agree Tim :D

(hey is that the same Melodic Dreamer from the greg Howe discussion board?)
tim_knox

I think composition is equally as important as technical ability. So if his compositions are great then there's no reason why he can't be the next big thing in guitar.

oh man i just wish i could send you his sturdio recording of Wonderful Slippery Thing, i think any Vai fan would like it, it is just amazing. Also you all should (if you are interested in Guthrie) contact the guys at Tone Merchants, www.tonemerchants.com and buy his DVDs, I think mine was like 6 bucks or something, it has his Erotic Cakes set, and his The Fellowship set. Erotic Cakes is him, his brother on bass, and another guy on drums, and it is really great original, unique stuff, and trust me you will see things on there that you have not seen anyone else do. And then The Fellowship is more traditional jazzy songs, and includes a sax, and that set is great also.

good luck
Melodic Dreamer

treeduck wrote:
Yes, I am everywhere. :lol:
:wink:
Melodic Dreamer

tim_knox wrote:
I think composition is equally as important as technical ability. So if his compositions are great then there's no reason why he can't be the next big thing in guitar.

oh man i just wish i could send you his sturdio recording of Wonderful Slippery Thing, i think any Vai fan would like it, it is just amazing. Also you all should (if you are interested in Guthrie) contact the guys at Tone Merchants, www.tonemerchants.com and buy his DVDs, I think mine was like 6 bucks or something, it has his Erotic Cakes set, and his The Fellowship set. Erotic Cakes is him, his brother on bass, and another guy on drums, and it is really great original, unique stuff, and trust me you will see things on there that you have not seen anyone else do. And then The Fellowship is more traditional jazzy songs, and includes a sax, and that set is great also.

good luck
Yea that is where I got mine from as well, plus I have the Asia dvd too.
Massacre

Yeh he's awesome.
treeduck

Melodic Dreamer wrote:
treeduck wrote:
Yes, I am everywhere. :lol:
:wink:

me too :)