vai vs petrucci

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
GuitarSlinger

vai vs petrucci

#1 Post by GuitarSlinger » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:44 am

ok as ive had complaints about this thread i guess ill change it

which guitarist do u prefer and why?

u should write about

technical ability
composition
experience

note this is only a comparison and not a debate of which guitarist is overall better
Last edited by GuitarSlinger on Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick.

#2 Post by Nick. » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:49 am

overall i reckon Vai is better but Petrucci does seem to be better at rocking riffs in a progessive sort of way.

in terms of speed..hard to tell but Vai may have the edge
musicanship..very close again
technical ability...possibly Petrucci
entertaining people....Vai
anything else??

Plook

#3 Post by Plook » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:56 am

Vai is better. Period.

Virulent

#4 Post by Virulent » Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:57 am

I don't really know if there's a point debating it. These "who's better" threads that you see on other forums are kind of pointless.

Vai is Vai.

Petrucci is Petrucci.

They both got to where they were because of their enormous talent - and because they are different from each other. Of course people on the Petrucci forum are going to think Petrucci is better - they are Petrucci fans! Just like people on this forum will probably say Steve is better.

In the end it's a matter of taste. I won't for a moment suggest that I know what Vai or Petrucci think, but I might guess they'd probably be embarassed by a "who's better" debate. They are friends and have enormous respect for each other. I doubt "who's better" ever entered their minds.

Perhaps the question should be "Who do you like better" - but I think if you're posting here rather than there - that question has already been answered for you.

Just a thought...

GuitarSlinger

#5 Post by GuitarSlinger » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:01 am

well im a bit sensitive to ppl who diss vai it was kind of a thread in defense but i guess it should be seen as more of a debate and not whos better but hey 8)

Virulent

#6 Post by Virulent » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:11 am

I'm a bit sensitive to it also... only because you read the same comments by people just repeating what they have heard others say.

I personally like Vai. Dream Theater doesn't grab me quite as much, but it doesn't mean it's not good too. That said, I always go to Dream Theater shows, but I find Vai about 10 times more entertaining and engaging.

Perhaps it's too strong to say the debate is pointless, but I think you get what I'm saying. Not a criticism of you by any means, just an observation.

:)

pri0531

#7 Post by pri0531 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:12 am

Since this is a silly thread:

Petrucci has some big biceps that could lead to some serious punching power, but I think that Vai has more cardio ability and could dance around the ring. John would get tired and Vai could do the one-two combination. I could see it going maybe 5 or 6 rounds. Do you think that Vai and Petrucci could be in the LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT (175 LBS) Division?

Ambition Bites the Nails of Success,
GP

Mr. Canadian

#8 Post by Mr. Canadian » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:14 am

vai absolutely destroys petrucci in overall musicality, imo (of course :wink: ). the proofs in the puddin' too...just look at all the different contexts Vai's been in outside of his solo albums. his scope is far wider too, not to mention his actual playing is WAY more colorful and exciting. petrucci's music and playing does absolutely nothing for me. when i saw him perform on the G3 bill i almost fell asleep, the compositions where so un-interesting, derivative, contrived, cliche ridden and well, um...just boring. dream theater, to me, sounds like a bunch of pretentious geeky white school boys trying to play like their prog-metal favorites. Ugh.

Just my opinion. :)

Ricky Garcia

#9 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:24 am

sorry but nonsense topic in my opinion...

GuitarSlinger

#10 Post by GuitarSlinger » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:30 am

Ricky Garcia wrote:sorry but nonsense topic in my opinion...
if u ppl dont like it why post on it? its a simple comparison between two good guitarist i dont see the big deal i think it raises good points of debate to ppl who no petrucci and vai well as guitarist bloody hell whats the big deal :x

Ricky Garcia

#11 Post by Ricky Garcia » Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:53 am

GuitarSlinger wrote:
Ricky Garcia wrote:sorry but nonsense topic in my opinion...
if u ppl dont like it why post on it? its a simple comparison between two good guitarist i dont see the big deal i think it raises good points of debate to ppl who no petrucci and vai well as guitarist bloody hell whats the big deal :x
I dont know how long you have been arround on the msg boards but I have seen this topics so many times and the ALL finisehd the same... big flame war... but go ahead I will not stop you.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#12 Post by Mikey » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:00 am

Ricky is correct. Most posts like this do descend into flame wars. Why? Because people's personal taste is important to them.

One guy loves industrial gospel death polka, another guy calls it crap. Cue flamewar.

By all means, keep the discussion going :) But keep it civilized.

Like another poster pointed out, it's all about taste. Both Steve and John are very gifted artists - and yes, I'm sure neither of them ever entertained the idea of who was "better".

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

Viper

#13 Post by Viper » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:04 am

I reckon Petrucci's got the technical edge, but Vai is more of an entertainer... has more stage presence. But I feel Dream Theater as a band is fantastic, and listen to both in equal amounts.

Texter

#14 Post by Texter » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:26 am

Yeah it's not like listening to Vai would decrease the lust for Dreamtheater 8)

Reaper

#15 Post by Reaper » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:35 am

I'll probably get killed for this, but I have to confess that I like Petrucci's playing better. It's not anything against Steve, it's just that I find something in JP's that I really like. They're both awesome musicians.