Sex and Religion tour

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
zappadons

Did anyone on this board attend any shows of the Sex and Religion tour?

If so, what was it like compared to other shows?

What songs were played on the tour?

Was Zappa's bassist Scott Thunes in the band?
tyky

Sex and Religion tour was my first time to see Steve Vai live. They played most of the songs from the S & R album. But they played tracks from Passion & Warfare and Flex Able too.

The show was more like a heavy metal show compared to vai show these days. It wasn't as enetertaining as the show is today. At one point they did some sort of improvisation with steve conducting the band. Devin also played guitar during the instrumental tracks. At one point steve and devin traded licks:) Scott Thunes was there.

I found this set list from net:

# An Earth Dweller's Return / Hear & Now
# Greasy Kids Stuff
# Sex & Religion
# The Animal
# Touching Tongues
# Thunder Kiss '65 (White Zombie) / Dirty Black Hole
# Drum Solo / State of Grace
# Survive
# Still My Bleeding Heart
# I Would Love To
# In My Dreams With You
# Call It Sleep
# Deep Down Into The Pain
# Pig
# For The Love of God
# Liberty
# The Attitude Song
# Sisters
# Answers / Band Intro
Bryceybhoy

I saw the VAI band in Brussels when they were supporting Aerosmith. They were pretty good. I believe Scott was the bass player (I remember he broke a string and it almost took his eye out).
That was the first time I had ever heard For the Love of God. Pretty special, I have to say. Here and Now was a brilliant opening song, a real crowd pleaser. They went down a treat that night.
shacks

I cant remember much from that tour (I cant remember what I just had for lunch nevermind a show 12 years ago!) but what I do remember is Devin jumping off the stage into the crowd and running a lap right around the hall like a nutter...oh and Steve played like a demon.

shacks
PSD

The set list looks complete. I saw this tour in NY. Abe Laboriel Jr. was on drums and was a monster. Terry Bozzio is my favorite player but Abe certainly didn't disappoint. BTW, I noticed Abe was playing behind Paul McCartney at the Super Bowl halftime show last month. As for the Sex & Religion tour, it was a relentless assault. All of the tunes were played very aggressively. I was a bit disappointed in In My Dreams because it lost all of the "feel" of the album track. Scott Thunes was on bass but was rather subdued. Seemed like he was there to do the job and that's it. Devin, on the other hand, was an animal. At one point, while Vai was ripping through a solo, Devin was off near the amp stack on one knee writhing and smacking himself in the head getting off on the whole thing. I turned to a friend and said that is what I always envisioned Gollum to be like. Vai meets Tolkien! The duel leads Vai and Townsend played were real highlights. The energy was unbelievable but after about 2 hours into the 2 1/2 + set, I felt like I was being bludgeoned with an axe. Another BTW - I sat a few seats from TM Stevens (Shaka Zulu) and we had a great talk for about 15 minutes as we were leaving the theater. A very memorable evening.
Trendmonger

How could the NY attendees not remember Ashes To Ashes.
For me this particular track has been one of Mr. Vai's most inspirational live performance of his touring career.
zappadons

Did Steve have a Passion and Warfare tour?

If so what was the set list there?

WHat about Alien Love Secrets and Fire Garden?
R1FSR

I got to see Vai a few times on the S & R tour..although i dont recal the Ashes to Ashes (did he do that here in the UK ?) i do remember the Thunder Kiss track.
He didnt play any dates in the Uk for the ALS tour or the P&W tour either...although i did see Vai on the P&W tour..just him on stage with a DAT player. 8)
Leo
Newcomer

I think that Steve almost did not tour for the PAssion record.

I did see the Sex tour in Hollywood at the Palace (at the time) He actually smashed a guitar to bits. I got the spring, which was forced out of my hand by a huge black dude/fan, who was willing to kill me for a piece of metal, so I just gave it to him. I wish I'd decked the bastard too. Anywho.

This was Steve's unshaved, dread-locked, and nipple-pearced phase. He played like a mofo, but I think he'd mentioned that at the time he was going through some personal stuff too. It was my first time seeing him live, and he of course blew me away.
hartfolk

<snip: Discussion on bootlegs are not allowed, see the forum rules. Mod7VWH>
Zongadude

I saw Steve Vai for the first time during the Sex & Religion tour. It was in Mulhouse, a small town in the North-East of France.

Not only it was the first time I ever saw him on stage, it was also the first time I got to chat a bit with him (outside the venue, in the cold night after the show - we were a small bunch of people). I made him sign on my vinyl copy of "Flex-able leftovers", and also on the 1st page of "Answers", in the P&W songbook. :) That's when I discovered that not only he was an incredible musician/composer, but also a sheer madman on stage and a very nice and gentle person in reality.

As for the show, it was unforgettable, very intense, very heavy, and crazy and.... For the last 7 days I was walking on air, like in a dream. Scott Thunes was here, and Devin was very impressive, both on vocals and guitar parts.

At one point in the show, I shouted 'Salamanders in the sun !". Steve looked pretty amused: "Salamanders in the sun ?". He couldn't belive it :)
In 2000, when I saw him for the second time, it was the Ultra Zone tour, and guess what ? "Salamanders in the sun" was in the setlist. :D

8)
Ekim

Zongadude wrote: At one point in the show, I shouted 'Salamanders in the sun !". Steve looked pretty amused: "Salamanders in the sun ?". He couldn't belive it :)
In 2000, when I saw him for the second time, it was the Ultra Zone tour, and guess what ? "Salamanders in the sun" was in the setlist. :D

8)
And wasn't that the coolest? I love that song and the arrangement they did. I think Keneally said it's his favorite Vai song. It showed, I think.
Legma

I don't think there was a P&W tour, I read somewhere that this was one of Vai's biggest regrets.......