REAL ILLUSIONS: REFLECTIONS REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Blade Runner

I think it's a great album. I've read some reviews saying that this album is a dissapointment, but I can't understand how anybody can think of it as any less than a good album. It's a consistently good album with good sound. Steve's playing is amazing, as usual. My favorite songs in particular are Building the Church, Glorious, Lotus Feet, and Freak Show Excess. Midway Creatures and Dying For Your Love are good, too. Actually, all the songs are good. I'm not digging Yai Yai as much as the rest, though. It's kind of like.. meh.. I guess that's a little cool... w/e. And I have to admit, before I knew it was Steve singing on the album, I thought it was MacAlpine because I thought he sounded like a black person, which is not a bad thing at all. :lol:

I give the album 4 stars out of 5.
Willie

I'm listening the entire albumn now I am lovin every moment of it :), some very nice riffs and licks there :)

Another good thing as well it, there's a good variety os different feels to the songs and I'm enjoying it :)

Thank you Steve for giving another JEM of an album, YOU ROCK 8) :guitar :headbang :peace
Willie

I've just finished listening to the album and I was wondering what you guys thought about 'Yai Yai', I was listening to it and I actually found it to be a kinda funny little track :), it's as if there was a bit of humour involved in making it in some way and it's a pretty cool track 8)

I look forward to hearing what you guys think :)

Peace Everyone :peace
Matthew

This is my favorite Vai CD so far. Even if all the cd consisted of was "Building The Church" it would still be my favorite. :lol:
Sliver

"Firewall" is "Here I Am" on steroids. :twisted:
fineweather

It's about one year since RI:R was released.
Now I remember what I felt when I listened to RI:R at the first time...still now I feel RI:R is awesome!
My taste in music has been spread more widely in this one year but Steve's music is always the best for me.
It'll never change. :)
GuitarStrings

fineweather wrote:It's about one year since RI:R was released.
Now I remember what I felt when I listened to RI:R at the first time...still now I feel RI:R is awesome!
My taste in music has been spread more widely in this one year but Steve's music is always the best for me.
It'll never change. :)

Yeah well said dude, I feel exactly the same way. :)
Steve is Steve. :)
He's my dad...

... well, I mean artistically speaking. :lol:

:)
Orchid
Newcomer

point blank, the album is fantastic and breaks a ton of ground in guitar playing
ranbena
Newcomer

I'm really thankful that I found you in my life time and get to enjoy your amazing music!
Every song I listen to makes me smile - knowing that the guy playing has special, creative and original thoughts and shares them with me..

I LOVE YOU MAN! :oops:
Ran
Van Halen
Newcomer

I wish the record could be less complicated. I think there's too much of showing us what he can do on his guitar, seems a little bit like showing off for the sake of showing off. I think the album should be more straightforward rock, more melodical like he was on "The slip of the tongue" when he replaced Adrian Vanderberg :roll:

The Ultra Zone was better in my opinon
Jet444

I've been listening to Steve's new album for about 4 months, (yes I know it's been out longer) when I first listened to it my thoughts were, "That's just...wow..." Now my opinion is still, "That's just...wow..."
Steve, if I were old eneough to drive I would waste money on petrol driving all over town playing RIR full ball over the four-stacker in the back.
Words can't express...
Jet
Steen

I have listened to this album a couple of weeks now.

Building the Church: I heard this song from the G3 in Tokyo DVD before I heard the "real" version. I loved the G3-version, but when I heard the version from RI:R it didn't sound nearly as good. The guitars didn't sound as good and the whammy bar w/ sustainer ending wich rocks on the G3 sound really sloppy here to me. So I'll go with the G3-version.

Km-pee-du-wee: Same thing here, the G3-version with the great intro is way better than this version.(This seems to apply to most of Steve's songs, they sound much better live) :)

Firewall: Another nice intro. :P
A bit "strange" that it uses almost the exact same riff as in Bad Horsie though..
Good song otherwise!

Freak Show Excess: This is my new favorite song! I love the different style and I really love Steve's guitar in this one. The thing that starts at 3:40 really rocks my socks or whatever. The only drawback in this song is the arpegios and tapping at the end, doesn't really sound that musical.

Glorious: A nice sond that I didn't like at first, but it grew on me.

Lotus Feet: A good "evening"-song when you're getting tired and don't want to listen to loud and fast music.

Songs that made it into the playlist:
Building The Church(G3-version)
Firewall
Freak Show Excess(almost added it twice! Well, not really)
Glorious
SRVoodoo

I was just listening to "Sweet Lady Luck" & realized that the keys at the end sound very similar to the beginning of "Building The Church"
...things that make you go "hmm"
Woodrow3131
Newcomer

RI:R is very disappointing. I have tried to find the time to put in the CD again, but I cannot. Several listenings ago it became apparent this CD must be some kinda joke SV is playing on us, tossing out drivel and then offering some deep, twisted explanation. Cut the crap and show us how you can play, Stevie.................
Gulliver

Woodrow3131 wrote:RI:R is very disappointing. I have tried to find the time to put in the CD again, but I cannot. Several listenings ago it became apparent this CD must be some kinda joke SV is playing on us, tossing out drivel and then offering some deep, twisted explanation. Cut the crap and show us how you can play, Stevie.................
You are full of shit man. Better go and kill yourself NOW 'cuz you are hopeless.