REAL ILLUSIONS: REFLECTIONS REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Zongadude

FINGERS76 wrote: Not new. Not original.
ahem... Surely you did press the 'Play' button on your cd player before posting your review, right ? Then... maybe it's because you didn't turn the volume up. :wink:

All kidding apart, I must be stupid. Can you indicate me what are the other albums or artists where I can hear music like 'Under it all' or 'Dying for your love' ? because I never heard any. If those songs are not new and original to your ears, man, you must have an incredible collection of cds. Please enlight me: Give us names ! :)

;)
sonny sixshooter

To be honest, I don't feel that much for Under It All. He is tryng too much, and those Dream Theater-like voice overs are a bit too "pure" for my taste. The album is nothing special coming from Vai. I mean Alive in an Ultra World really kicked ass, and this, well, just doesn't.

When that is said, it must also be stated that Firewall and Lotus Feet are soooo great! I love them! I can't get enough of them.

In all honesty, I think Steve should have just released the Metropole show instead. Because that was truly amazing!
Vaituoso

Damn, I just realized how f*ckin' great this album is! I listen to it everyday and it's better everytime. Real Illusions is going to age like fine wine. You're a genius, Steve. So, when's the next album coming out? :D
Aqcst33

I think this album shows how Steve evolved trough the years as a composer and musician. I don't know what it is, but this album has a cool dark superman vibe to it. There are also some new innovating guitar sounds. And that's what i like so much about Steve.. He is one of world's greatest innovators.
Kamenrider Ryuuki

Zongadude wrote:All kidding apart, I must be stupid. Can you indicate me what are the other albums or artists where I can hear music like 'Under it all' or 'Dying for your love' ? because I never heard any. If those songs are not new and original to your ears, man, you must have an incredible collection of cds. Please enlight me: Give us names ! :)
;)
i am more than happy to name a few!!!

Building The Church - ripping off from one of Linkin Park's popular riffs and also a little bit reminiscence of Darren Housholder's classic riffs ...dont tell me you never heard of Darren!!!

Dying For Your Love - Britney Spears???

Lotus Feet - this one is evident!!! ever heard Crying from Joe Satriani???...even better, hey, check this one out!!! Cause We Ended As Lovers by the legend himself...Jeff Beck!!!!

Under It All - ripping off from Passion And Warfare..."The Riddle"

but anyway...the only original thing i heard on the CD is Freak Show Excess and Firewall...that is new Steve Vai!!!
nomorenamesleft
Newcomer

I don't feel like going through all 30 pages of this, but did anyone notice the cover and the pic on the back line up? Steve's probably under the mask hence the reflections....my guess anyways.
Birdman

I love it. Yai Yai, is just f'kin awesome if you ask me. It's what Steve is all about. There's always ONE track like that on his cd's. It makes me laugh, it makes me feel sick at stages with the tones that are made, like when the doctor puts that tongue stick into your mouth to check your throat. :shock:

The rest of it is great also, but I've only listened to it in the car so far. I need to get time to sit down and give it a good floggin'. :headbang
And then listen to the CD a few times. :twisted:
vinccenzzo

I don't think anybody mentionned it yet, but on Freak Show, at 4:40 the bass just kicks ass !
wangximo
Newcomer

I got the cd a week ago and only listened to it twice as a whole. I listened to K'eem P'ee Du W'ee a couple of times and to Lotus Feet as well. Well, normally a new Vai CD would be on all the time. But somehow I jus not into this one. Yet?
Well, I don't think I will start to like "Gloriuos". I just don't like the thick layers of synth and their sound straight from the 80's. Also, I had to crank up the volume quite high to get a good sound. I fear at the usual live volume this song will be just a mash of sounds.
"Building the church": I like it.
"Dying for your Love": Maybe if I listen to it some more...
For me the album starts with the 4th song.
"Lotus feet" is great, of course. But it was better live. The orchstra was a lot louder, the sound actually blew you away and not few people started to cry openmouthed. Somehow it does not seem to belong to the rest of the album.
"Freak Show Excess": Aptly titled. This must be so great to play! But while listening to it I found myself thinking about the grocery list. There are just so many black dots.
"I'm your Sectrets": My favourite. I like everything about this song.
If I had to compile an album of the songs from Real Illusions and Ultrazone, apart from "Alive under an Asian Sky" all the Ultrazone songs would be on it plus "K'eem P'ee Du W'ee", "Lotus Feet", "Yai Yai" and "I'm your Secrets" from Real Illusions. I guess it will not be my favourite Vai album. Still, before I get ripped apart (critical remarks seem to border on blasphemy in this forum): Vai is a musical genius.
LucySorets

lydian7 wrote:
LucySorets wrote: As a whole, this album has an amazing musicality, I absolutely love Steve's vocal performance more than ever; all that you

unconsciously desire to hear of Steve (classic Vai) is here and what you can't imagine too.
Great variety, strong contrast between song and song, preciosity and what I love THE MOST as a music lover I am: how Steve's

tremendous talent as a composer, producer, orchestrator, sound engineer shine so much as his superb guitar playing more than

ever.

And the fact that it's a part of a trilogy (?) it's exciting!
I'm feeling the Vaimania again :P

STEVE, COME TO MADRID!!!
I'm glad you were inspired so greatly by Real Illusions, and if you're relatively new to Vai I hope that you continue to be
inspired my his music in the future. You're in very safe hands ;)
I'm not new at Vai's music, I'm a fan since Passion, but I'm so thrilled with this album that I really feel like that :D
In my humble opinion, his best with P&W, Fire Garden and The Ultra Zone.
I can't wait to see the new show!

And to the people who says that some songs sound "rehashed", I totally disagree. What I perceive is that they capture "the essence" of classic Vai combined with new sounds and structures and I find this delightful.
For example, Midway Creatures has the magic of The Riddle and the strength of Bad Horsie with futuristic sounds and oriental touches that make it exquisite.

Yes, I love this album 8)
Zongadude

Kamenrider Ryuuki wrote: Building The Church - ripping off from one of Linkin Park's popular riffs and also a little bit reminiscence of Darren Housholder's classic riffs ...dont tell me you never heard of Darren!!!

Lotus Feet - this one is evident!!! ever heard Crying from Joe Satriani???...even better, hey, check this one out!!! Cause We Ended As Lovers by the legend himself...Jeff Beck!!!!

Wow. I know The riddle by heart, and I'm getting quiet familiar with Under it all: I don't see ANY connections between those two songs (except that there are guitars and speaking voices on both of them.)

Ok. The Jeff Beck track, the Satch one and Lotus feet are all ballads with beautiful guitar melodies. Does that mean they are the same songs ? I don't think so.

And whenever Brittney Spears comes out with a melody similar to Dying for your love, it will rain frogs from the sky ! :lol:

Just a matter of opinion, as always. But I'll check out Darren Householder, as I never heard him.
V41

Kamenrider Ryuuki wrote: i am more than happy to name a few!!!

Building The Church - ripping off from one of Linkin Park's popular riffs and also a little bit reminiscence of Darren Housholder's classic riffs ...dont tell me you never heard of Darren!!!

but anyway...the only original thing i heard on the CD is Freak Show Excess and Firewall...that is new Steve Vai!!!
Steve Vai has probably played just about every note progression you can think of. Does that mean when a band like Linkin Park decides to have some guitars in their songs, they're ripping it off from him? :?

There are 12 notes in the Eastern musical scale. 7 modes. Some stuff is going to sound similar.

And I've heard most of LP's stuff, and I don't really recall what you're talking about.

I've never heard of Darren.

How does Dying For Your Love sound anything like Britney Spears? I mean, what the f*ck? She's like, a young woman, and Steve is a 45 year old male. The progression behind him and the guitar fills are things that have never even been in a Britney song. Seems like you just wanted something to say about that one. :roll:

Lotus Feet has a very immediately noteable melody that sounds nothing like Crying. Plus it has an orchestra!

Steve can't rip off from his own music.

Even still, I hear nothing similar. "The Riddle" picks up where "Answers" leaves off, and holds on a chord, whereas "Under It All" begins an immediate progression. I've listened through P&W hundreds of times, and it didn't strike me that they were similar at all.

What a strange bunch of things to say. Poor Steve... :(
FINGERS76

Zongadude wrote:
FINGERS76 wrote: Not new. Not original.
ahem... Surely you did press the 'Play' button on your cd player before posting your review, right ? Then... maybe it's because you didn't turn the volume up. :wink:

All kidding apart, I must be stupid. Can you indicate me what are the other albums or artists where I can hear music like 'Under it all' or 'Dying for your love' ? because I never heard any. If those songs are not new and original to your ears, man, you must have an incredible collection of cds. Please enlight me: Give us names ! :)

;)
I meant it sounds like any other Vai album since 95. Nothing new. Nothing original.
ROCK KITTEN 76

I would like to give a review

must listen more and alone in the solitude of my room
1, at a ghastly volume 2, with insense burning
then again on my headphones

so far i've enjoyed this album alot..

so far

Building The Church . excellent, wild intro its so juicy! it took me all of 6 seconds to be truelly impressed by this song, some of this reminds me of war of the worlds from some of the content.(or is that just my wackyness)
it breezes through my ears, and engages many of my senses
I can't help falling in love with this track.

Dying for your love: Basssssss, twisted it seems more of a eerie kind of piece and in its deviations i think this will seduce in all its peculiarity.
eventually.
high synth, its pretty cool for myself i've more of an embracement towards something thats eccentric as it drives the curiosity in me.

Glorious: haha what can i say this is great! if anyone remembers me saying i wail like a cat to bad horsie, i guess then this one suits me great.
it gets some serious thumbs up midway too this has me drawn in evertime i listen to it, allthough my neighbours think i'm insane!lol

k'm-pee-du-wee: EXCELLENT! you have to have utter solitude and really listen,
at this point i'm thinking to myself steve's mind is a multilayered, mutidirectional,mystery. where does imagination end and reality begin what is reality where are the illusions this is a real mindblower and at this point, i'm now in a place away from my own reality, or is it..wooshh

Firewall: ...its cheeky jazzy, we have trumpets!. you know i have a positive attitude to this. and i'm not just saying that because i'm a vai fan, i've found myself singing along to it, this is catchy.

Freak show excess: I like it sorry yes its another one i find captivating, i guess by this time i'm just absorbing all thats passing through it melodic, its not static, theres so much going on 2.58 meltdown point... serious bass Billy! :D go BILLY goooo, and into a raging build. i love the acoustics
and of into a beautifull melodic and culterous rythm,again Billy's bass shining through. that digereedooish bass and steves fast nooodling..haha and thats enough of my nonsense too... on this track anyway.

LOTUS FEET: When i first heard this version on the webcast i sat in that chat room and words could'nt describe.
I still don't think my words could describe what beauty i find in this piece, my thoughts and feelings that I could not possibly give this justice.if it be
a release from pain, a enlightenment a point of which you see something behind the superficial, a peace. and much more. To me this gives my most intamate and long standing thoughts, feelings spiritual boost.
I first played this very loud and i found myself sobbing like a baby!
if this was ever a time where everything that was rooted inside fear, love sorrow, joy, pain etc i found it seep out through my tears and a smile.
in that i must congratulate all involved in the making of this composition as for me at least this is truelly within divinity.

Yai Yai:a smile reaches my face everytime i hear this, the effects are brilliant. near the close of this piece its like fluid. flowing.

Midway Creatures: This is more heavier that the others so far.
its almost alien, a wild drama. at this point i'm imagining this as a stage play.
this visually would be awesome
allthough..ok ok ok (my tangient)

I'm your secrets: i love the lyrics to this and its whole meaning so utterly associated
its again a very beautifull song,
leading onto
Under it all...this is really where everything hits home, wooo blown away! good job!

and at this point i ask you who sat thinking deply for a fair while afterwards? about the meaning the music what you have inside what you know what you wish to know, who will understand.If,how,why,when......
and oh thats the beauty of this album folks.

I'm not reviewing where this riff was where, what effect was used,etc as you've noticed.
And i've noticed that a few people who have disliked this album and within their own given right of course, those more expert in the whole theory of being a guitar player. i'm not all that good at playing and you know what? i kinda feel i don't want to be an expert guitarist, why? i dont want to ruin my listening pleasures to the point of missing well the point, and the whole experience of listening.
I enjoyed the entire album and I have my reasons for doing so.
and hopefully I have explained why.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

peaceeee

kitzz
lydian7

Zongadude wrote:
JamieLeeBLues wrote: lets have another great classic album like Passion & warfare,
But to me, that's exactly what "Real Illusions: Reflections" is !!

Aah, "everyone hears music differently". Indeed. ;)
I personally thought Ultra Zone was closer to passion & warfare in terms of complexity and intensity. There was far more variety in terms of dynamics (by far and away!), and the originality and depth of almost every song seemed alot more sincere to me. Real Illusions is a good rock album, but there is little tonal substance under the many layers of low rhythms guitars and synth-guitar lines, and whenever I listen to it it fails to sustain my interest (excluding the artistic excellence of Under it all). I personally feel he made this album to please his fans, or he was at least subconciously driven by this looming pressure.