REAL ILLUSIONS: REFLECTIONS REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
coolnnine
Newcomer

new lp

#346 Post by coolnnine » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:23 pm

I wont be hard to spot at Steve's up coming Filmore show in SF. Just look for the guy who is bald-er than Joe.

What Im saying is Steve's new LP is tear your hair out good!!!

I would definitly sudgest wearing a helmet the first time you listen to it.

GreenMeanie

#347 Post by GreenMeanie » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:33 pm

I have just listened to the album thru headphones Image as suggested in an earlier post. OMG! My jaw dropped to the floor! Image I have goosebumps all over and my heart is racing. Image This is the most amazing CD I have ever heard! I cannot wait to hear these songs performed live!

Joanne Image

GuitarStrings

#348 Post by GuitarStrings » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Man, I've got sooooooooooo moved, both by your "review" and the album.
The album is definitely growing on me. I can't stop listeninng to it now!

jabo77
Newcomer

After Further Review......

#349 Post by jabo77 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:43 pm

....THANX SRVoodoo for the headphone advice, but it did not help, what did help though was listening to the album at a place where I am truly at peace and for me guys, thats the driving range...(YES SRVoodoo with headphones.) This album IS A PIECE OF.......ART!!!! What did ya think I was gonna say, my earlier review was just based on a quick runthrough on the way home from the store. Anyways, this a curve ball Stevie threw us....but a pleasant one to try and handle. I am not one to look for philosophy in music, I look to be moved and when Steve lets that first squeel go in Building the Church, you cannot help but get goosebumps, thats what I look for in music. Freak SHow stands out, the Sitar.....the upbeat sitar is genius. Midnight Creatures is an extremley haunting song that hit me as well. Then there is Lotus, a great song to practice my swing rythm to....it is a masterpiece. Other than that folks, not much more that I can say. But compared to what is out there these days, who can find anything in this album to complain about? I am betting that some marketing company is gonna try to buy Yai-yai rights!!! Enjoy the Illusions!!

funkalicious
Newcomer

#350 Post by funkalicious » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:12 pm

I just listened to this CD the first time through. I am speechless. I cannot begin to describe my feelings about this record. It is quite possibly the best album Vai has ever produced. I'm still in disbelief. I expect it will all sink in eventually. I feel like I have so much more to say about this music, but I can't seem to bring it out of myself. It goes to deep to describe accurately. Oh well. I'll go give it another listen.

Grundbegriff
Newcomer

#351 Post by Grundbegriff » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:54 pm

I'm a little dissapointed. This album sounds like snippets and phrases from all of his other albums cut up and pasted back together. Some songs have sections that don't even sound like they belong together, like Vai just wanted to put this cool thing in somewhere and smashed it in there- like squishing together a couple of different colored clay balls. There are a couple of songs that sound exactly like past songs, and the songs he sings on are almost completely ridiculous.

I have bought and listened to repeatedly nearly every album Vai has appeared on. I think Flexable, Passion and Warfare and Firegarden are all that anyone interested in Steve Vai should bother purchasing. At this point, and with the cut and paste songwriting of his new material, you get all of what makes Vai, Vai in those three albums. If I never heard Vai, and purchased the Ultrazone or this new album, I would wonder what all the fuss was ever about. He's got new electrical gizmos and fretless guitars, wah pedals and multitracks galore- but he has spent his melodic ability on those three albums.

Revontulet777

#352 Post by Revontulet777 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Hi! I received my 2 copies of RI today (one signed and other with the picks) and after listen the whole thing all I can say is a really great album! :lol:

Thanks for all, Steve! You're a truly inspiration for us.
Hope to see you soon here in Chile with The Breed

Carlos

lydian7

#353 Post by lydian7 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:12 pm

Grundbegriff wrote:I'm a little dissapointed. This album sounds like snippets and phrases from all of his other albums cut up and pasted back together. Some songs have sections that don't even sound like they belong together, like Vai just wanted to put this cool thing in somewhere and smashed it in there- like squishing together a couple of different colored clay balls. There are a couple of songs that sound exactly like past songs, and the songs he sings on are almost completely ridiculous.

I have bought and listened to repeatedly nearly every album Vai has appeared on. I think Flexable, Passion and Warfare and Firegarden are all that anyone interested in Steve Vai should bother purchasing. At this point, and with the cut and paste songwriting of his new material, you get all of what makes Vai, Vai in those three albums. If I never heard Vai, and purchased the Ultrazone or this new album, I would wonder what all the fuss was ever about. He's got new electrical gizmos and fretless guitars, wah pedals and multitracks galore- but he has spent his melodic ability on those three albums.
I strongly disagree with you about Ultra Zone, I think it will be vai's crowning achievment in years to come (possibly next to Fire Garden).

Btw my autographed copy of Real Illusions came today (finally!). Cheers to steve for taking the time to sign 500 copies, and cheers for providing me with 2 covers! (one signed, one not) :D

Grundbegriff
Newcomer

#354 Post by Grundbegriff » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:21 pm

Vai's crowning achievement will always be Passion and Warfare. Firegarden is a distant second with the godawful songs with poor vocals/lyrics deflating an otherwise top virtuoso album.

V41

#355 Post by V41 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:54 pm

Listening to Real Illusions all the way through on headphones left me crying and stunned and unable to move.

But I've posted my reviews.

solojett
Newcomer

#356 Post by solojett » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:55 pm

wow are you even really a fan?

solojett
Newcomer

#357 Post by solojett » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:57 pm

grundbegriff that is

GotVai?

#358 Post by GotVai? » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:26 pm

Call me a Vai sheep, Vai can do no wrong guy (doesn't bother me); but I think this may replace The Ultra Zone for me as my favorite Vai release. It sonically is as good as anything he has released so far and I loved it immediately after listening to it.

I hope he does the entire cd live on this tour. I would be so happy. :lol:

Thank you also Steve for taking the time to sign the cd cover (as well as the other releases before this you signed) and not charging extra for it.

Real Illusions just confirms (to me) that Steve will always be my musical hero and his music just seems to touch my heart more than anyone else who plays music and writes songs.:P

Hakky

Wow, pretty good

#359 Post by Hakky » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:05 am

Yup.
Pretty WICKED!!!!

All round, very very very good.
Cant wait to crank it before I jam tomorrow!

Love it and cannot wait for the EVO experience....

Just got it today, some stores didnt have it, lame
so I had to track it down...

Then I special ordered some FZ dvds!!

Now for some Under It All,
its choice!!
So is it all!

litlgrnman

#360 Post by litlgrnman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:48 am

Grundbegriff wrote: I think Flexable, Passion and Warfare and Firegarden are all that anyone interested in Steve Vai should bother purchasing.
:roll: