Discuss the Real Illusions: Reflections Previews!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
pauldlr

#61 Post by pauldlr » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:22 am

Just listened to the clips, track 4 very Boston Rain Melody, rest can't wait for cd need to listen to it all! On order, as per others here much cheaper to buy from the States plus its signed. Great value for money!

Naffis-kun

#62 Post by Naffis-kun » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:57 am

That freak show excess was my favourite :).
And Building the church rocked as well.

Zongadude

#63 Post by Zongadude » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:05 am

I've just listened to the preview, and I'm extremely happy. I have to say that I always prefered Vai at its W.E.I.R.D.E.S.T. , and I guess it's exactly what I am going to get with this new album. Hooray !

I pre-ordered it, and although I live in France, I think I'll get the autographed booklet as well. (just follow the correct link on the newsletter).

Thank you for allowing us to pre-order, and also for this ridiculous small price.
(And a HUGE THANKS to Steve for being so creative and funny and... you will never be too weird to me, so please continue: your weird music is soooo beautiful ! )

Herve Marchetti (a.k.a. Zongadude).

Invisibo86
Newcomer

#64 Post by Invisibo86 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:30 am

I am most definitely diggin it. It's very reminiscent of Passion and Warfare but with everything else mixed in. All the guitar tones sound really crisp and clear and everything is definitely nice. And I'm diggin Steve's vocals as well. Steve as always comes on top!! :D

DrCode
Newcomer

#65 Post by DrCode » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:38 am

Awesome, as I expected. Yai Yai made me laugh, sounded like someone burping a melody :)

I pre-ordered mine based on these clips - cheap too! I thought it was hilarious that on the check-out page, the other recommended titles were:
Passion And Warfare (cool)
The Infinite Steve Vai: An Anthology (very nice)
Celine Dion - Miracle (WTF???) :shock:

R1FSR

#66 Post by R1FSR » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:05 am

ALL autographed copies have now been sold

Dany_Vai

#67 Post by Dany_Vai » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:31 am

Wow thats`s is very cool :D :D
I want to be a February 22 now!!!!!

I love it!!! :P

Building the Church , Amazing Riffs :shock:
Dying for your love , cool Steve singing , great !!! :P
Glorius , I love it!
Firewall , more Steve singing , Amazing! :P
Freak Show Excess , I love the song is as progressive melodies :o 8) :P
Yai Yai , cool , only Steve can play this :) , Make me a laugh :P
Midway Creatures , excellent change of the riifs , Very cool 8)
I`m Your secrets , I love the Melody :P :wink:

Thank Steve for this new album , I want now!!! :D

Cheers !

GTR-MAN

#68 Post by GTR-MAN » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:30 am

I loved the snippets, and have heard Yai-Yai all the way through on the Guitar World disc, though I thought that one was kinda wierd, a song written around a single effect. Anyhoo..

I was wondering what happened to "The Blob " ? I read on another thread that the name was changed. So what to ?

By the way already pre-ordered yesterday.

shacks

#69 Post by shacks » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:30 am

R1FSR wrote:ALL autographed copies have now been sold
They are giving away a free Vai pick with the CD now! *goes to order another copy* LOL!

http://www.shopbootlegs.com/store/btq/s ... e-stevevai

BTW Mikey do you know what kind of pick it will be? Will it be a standard Ibanez Vai sig pick or maybe something Real Illusions themed???? Cause I REALLY do have more money than sense and will buy another!!

Cheers
shacks

shacks

#70 Post by shacks » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:37 am

GTR-MAN wrote:I was wondering what happened to "The Blob " ? I read on another thread that the name was changed. So what to ?
Midway Creatures.

shacks

GTR-MAN

#71 Post by GTR-MAN » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:58 am

shacks wrote:
GTR-MAN wrote:I was wondering what happened to "The Blob " ? I read on another thread that the name was changed. So what to ?
Midway Creatures.

shacks
Thanks shacks!

shacks

#72 Post by shacks » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:00 pm

No problem mate. 8)

shacks

musicvisitor
Newcomer

#73 Post by musicvisitor » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:53 pm

Heard the previews, read some of the discussion going on here, wanted to react a little, so here I am...

First of all, I am not known with all of Vai, in reality there are always boundaries :cry: (money, things, and there is always coming up interesting other music everywhere to grab you attention most urgently besides Vai :wink: ). But when someone says, Steve can't hit an enormous audience with one (or more) pick of a string, that's totally untrue. I've seen him this year, and it's breathtaking, emotionally as well.
I always also used to think good rock had to have a dark source. Step out of it! There's more, and definively more to it. Steve Vai is a person, with a life, and he is playing out of that life and the reflections, as should any musician ideally :? . O and by the way, the Lydian mode doesn't allow drunk feelings :P .

Well, I'll stop filling up the place with bladder (though meant). Just have to say, Tiffany, that was truly spoken :D .

greetings and let music grab and binge(?) your ears anywhere, anytime, anyplace
Brt

jade totem
Newcomer

#74 Post by jade totem » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:27 pm

The clips sound great, although really, 25 seconds out of a 5 minute song... is hard to judge cause Steve builds his songs so well with arcs and intro outros etc... I bloody well can't wait!!

As for the quality of Steve's music posed in this topic... I think it's healthy to not just have a blanket "I adore EVERYTHING no matter what" policy with artists that we love. We as an audience are challenged just as much as the artist is in creating music. We have opinions as much as I'm sure Steve does about his own music. He makes the choices of HIS favourites and puts them on a record... we are then able to judge based on our own sensibilities and personal tastes what we feel about what we hear.

I have been a HUGE fan since 1990 and I love my Steve Vai "Ughh list" as much as my Steve Vai "I was born to hear this music list". I expect that on the upcoming album a few tracks will end up falling onto each list with the leftovers in the Steve Vai "Yup... that's Steve Vai list". And that's what I love about his music... the ups the downs, the opinions.

Hey, I loved "Sex and Religion"... So... :wink:

s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i

#75 Post by s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:29 pm

lets make a poll, which cd do u want, the one with the autograph or the one with the pick hehehe, id go for the autograph;)