Discuss the Real Illusions: Reflections Previews!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Message
Author
wackyjackie21613
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:59 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Contact:

#46 Post by wackyjackie21613 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:52 pm

you go girls, i agree with you whole heartly tiff :wink:

also iam happy for ya kitz, i've got mine and iam
excited as hell :wink:

me :wink:

User avatar
cbr1000f
Member
Member
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:37 am
Location: ARDOOIE, BELGIUM
Contact:

#47 Post by cbr1000f » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:04 pm

Sounds f*cking great! My favourite part for the moment is the snippet of Freak Show Excess. But I like them all.

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

#48 Post by lydian7 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Prezidentman wrote:Great stuff!!!! I actually think it's sort of got the heavy S&R vibe, which I like.
I think it sounds like Sex & Religion in places too (especially Under it All), only more focused. My favourite clips are 'Building the Church' as you can visualise the church being built through the canonic, descending guitar melodies! Also I love the ancient percussive vibe of 'I'm your secrets', which seems to show a (dare I say) subtle side to Steve. :)

wackyjackie21613
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:59 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Contact:

#49 Post by wackyjackie21613 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:25 pm

i have a question though, if you buy cd 1, then the
next cd, then the third one, do you have to buy the
whole box set to get the fourth one? iam a bit confused?

maybe, my bad, lol
me :wink:

Petie
Member
Member
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 4:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

#50 Post by Petie » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:56 pm

wackyjackie21613 wrote:i have a question though, if you buy cd 1, then the
next cd, then the third one, do you have to buy the
whole box set to get the fourth one? iam a bit confused?

maybe, my bad, lol
me :wink:
Yeah, that was a bit confusing. It sounded like the whole thing will be re-released on a box set with 4 discs with all the songs rearranged in the order of the story. Is that true Mikey?

I hope this isn't like David Bowie's Nathan Adler Diaries, which he abandoned after one album instead of making the six he had planned...

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

#51 Post by lydian7 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:03 pm

Petie wrote:I hope this isn't like David Bowie's Nathan Adler Diaries, which he abandoned after one album instead of making the six he had planned...
If you look back thorugh Steve's Diaries, you'll actually see that he has been planning this for some time. He was at a musical show in mexico or Spain (I can't exactly remember where), and he had a sudden flash of inspiration. I think he's planning to release the Real illusions stage show (or whatever it is) sometime in 2007.

Then again I hope this isn't another 'Fire Coma' idea ('Fire Coma' was the album soundtrack to an accompanying film project, later renamed 'Fire Garden'), or like the Passion & Warfare novel (that never materialised, or half materialised in the form of the short stories found elsewhere on this site). I have a feeling Steve will actually see this idea through though. ;)

droopy
Newcomer
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:32 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Oh my !!!

#52 Post by droopy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:25 pm

One more time Steve probes us why he's what he's musicaly speaking and with the instrument itself.
The wait it's worthy.

Saludos !!!

Gabriel.

the K
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: FRANCE
Contact:

#53 Post by the K » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:12 am

I really like waht I listen to…
Looks like the great Vai album since long time…really creatif and weird

That's all I love
thanks Steve
the K

polpa
Newcomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:46 am

#54 Post by polpa » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:21 am

i feel 1000 times,

steve vai music 100% tm.!!!!


che dio ti benedica!!!!!!!

vooooolareeee hooo ho

cantareeeeeee ho ho ho ho

nel blu dipinto di blu.........

wintonsmith1984
Member
Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:11 pm
Location: France

#55 Post by wintonsmith1984 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:14 am

It's sounds really,really great !
I can't wait for the album !
A thing i love in Steve's music is that he 's never doing the same album twice but every time you can feel he's strong personality ...
Some of the clips are very rock/groovy with some funk influences and i'm am very happy with that !
As always, i wish i had the english words to express what i feel !

s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:20 am

#56 Post by s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:04 am

shacks wrote:Fantastic clips! Big thank you to whoever put together the preview page. What a great idea! Bring on Monday 21st (UK date)...:D :D

Cheers
shacks

(Shame that AGAIN its only people from the US that can pre-order the signed CD!??)
that aint true, I just ordered mine and I live in holland and im getting the autographed one, the sony website only ships to usa but theres a link on that same page that links to:
http://www.shopbootlegs.com/store/btq/s ... e-stevevai
and u can order an autographed one over there and have it shipped anywhere, I just ordered mine, i'd advise u to be quick, the first 500 get the autograph good luck man!!

about the cd preview..
AMAZING!!! Fire Garden was my favorite album of Steve and these previews remind me of it, I'm so happy that he has turned this album in sumkind of fire garden II because its the best:)

s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i
Member
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:20 am

#57 Post by s_t_e_v_e_n_s_i_r_o_v_a_i » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:08 am

Seraph wrote:
jimgardner1973 wrote:I'm more than a little upset with myself for expecting something totally off-the-wall and different from Steve when the sound clips appear to confirm this is yet another big reverb, synth pad, ego-fest with little in the way of the actual guitar playing style that made Steve who he is. I love the guy like a member of my family - that's why I'll still buy it and play it over and over. There's no doubting his spirit and passion for all things music, hell I wouldn't make a living as a musician and enjoy the lifestyle I have today if it where not for my being exposed to his music at the impresionable age I was circa 1985, but it's almost like he stopped being able to reach into that other place his music seemed to come from a la Flex Able, PIL, Eat and Smile, Touching Tongues, Call It Sleep etc. Steve, shut up and play yer guitar some more. Listen to Michael Hedges (again?). There are plenty of people on this forum who will shoot me down in flames and continue to polish your ego because they are either not as good at playing the guitar as you or wealthy enough to use the equipment you do or because they imagine that being into "difficult" music makes them more intelligent that people who dig the latest MTV bands - the fact is, being happy in life don't make for good rock music - eat some grit, get a drink problem - ANYTHING - just find that place again - we want to hear it played OUT like that! Didn't Robert Fripp teach you anything?

I love ya, Jimmy.
I can see why this post would attract flames for a couple of reasons - but none of them because of your opinion, but more because of what your opinion is based on.

I'm really excited to hear these clips, but there is no way I can tell from listening to them whether they represent the entire record. We're talking about thirty second at the most from each song which could average up 5 or 6 minutes in length (and hopefully more). What I can hear, however, is ripe with Vai-isms, and it's immediately apparent to me that this is his music. You have mentioned only one side of Steve's many facets in your post above - but it's not just those that made Steve the player he is today.

I also think that your put-down of people who like what they hear is likely to attract some reaction too. Just because I like it doesn't mean that I'm polishing Steve's ego, or because I'm not rich enough to play the same gear as him and all the other nonsense you wrote. What a stupid and baseless argument!

As far as "finding that place" - from what I've already heard of the record, "Lotus Feet" is at home within the stable of other tracks you have mentioned. From reading Steve's writing about "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" it would seem that it could also fit nicely in there. "Dying For Your Love" also sounds like it came from a pretty dark place too - even if it's a vocal song. But your suggestion that Steve develop a drinking problem to help him find a deeper emotional and creative level, while probably made in jest, is also just stupid. Then we'd be listening to the alcohol.. not Steve. Your romanticized view of the "tragic artist" is quaint, but completely irrelevant.

My take is this: Steve is an artist, and as such, continues to explore different realms and express himself in different ways. If you want Steve circa 1985, keep listening to Flexable. That was indeed a wonderful time, but that time has long since past. I personally have been satisfied with Steve constantly evolving body of work, and I'm really exciting to hear how this record is different.

I'm reserving my judgment or complete opinion of the album until it's released. Ultimately though, I still feel it's pointless to sit around here writing about what you WISH Steve would do. If he spent his time fulfilling your vision, what would be the point? As an artist, he's compelled to write about and create what moves HIM. We can either choose to come along for the ride or not.
exactly, u r so right:) because the video preview on the vai site shows something that we cant hear on the preview site, and that video was AWESOME man, we dont know what the entire album sounds like, and just like on Fire Garden you have to listen to the entire record in 1 session, only then you can get the true album feeling/emotion

jimgardner1973
Newcomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:11 am

#58 Post by jimgardner1973 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:16 am

Seraph wrote:
jimgardner1973 wrote:I'm more than a little upset with myself for expecting something totally off-the-wall and different from Steve when the sound clips appear to confirm this is yet another big reverb, synth pad, ego-fest with little in the way of the actual guitar playing style that made Steve who he is. I love the guy like a member of my family - that's why I'll still buy it and play it over and over. There's no doubting his spirit and passion for all things music, hell I wouldn't make a living as a musician and enjoy the lifestyle I have today if it where not for my being exposed to his music at the impresionable age I was circa 1985, but it's almost like he stopped being able to reach into that other place his music seemed to come from a la Flex Able, PIL, Eat and Smile, Touching Tongues, Call It Sleep etc. Steve, shut up and play yer guitar some more. Listen to Michael Hedges (again?). There are plenty of people on this forum who will shoot me down in flames and continue to polish your ego because they are either not as good at playing the guitar as you or wealthy enough to use the equipment you do or because they imagine that being into "difficult" music makes them more intelligent that people who dig the latest MTV bands - the fact is, being happy in life don't make for good rock music - eat some grit, get a drink problem - ANYTHING - just find that place again - we want to hear it played OUT like that! Didn't Robert Fripp teach you anything?

I love ya, Jimmy.
I can see why this post would attract flames for a couple of reasons - but none of them because of your opinion, but more because of what your opinion is based on.

I'm really excited to hear these clips, but there is no way I can tell from listening to them whether they represent the entire record. We're talking about thirty second at the most from each song which could average up 5 or 6 minutes in length (and hopefully more). What I can hear, however, is ripe with Vai-isms, and it's immediately apparent to me that this is his music. You have mentioned only one side of Steve's many facets in your post above - but it's not just those that made Steve the player he is today.

I also think that your put-down of people who like what they hear is likely to attract some reaction too. Just because I like it doesn't mean that I'm polishing Steve's ego, or because I'm not rich enough to play the same gear as him and all the other nonsense you wrote. What a stupid and baseless argument!

As far as "finding that place" - from what I've already heard of the record, "Lotus Feet" is at home within the stable of other tracks you have mentioned. From reading Steve's writing about "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" it would seem that it could also fit nicely in there. "Dying For Your Love" also sounds like it came from a pretty dark place too - even if it's a vocal song. But your suggestion that Steve develop a drinking problem to help him find a deeper emotional and creative level, while probably made in jest, is also just stupid. Then we'd be listening to the alcohol.. not Steve. Your romanticized view of the "tragic artist" is quaint, but completely irrelevant.

My take is this: Steve is an artist, and as such, continues to explore different realms and express himself in different ways. If you want Steve circa 1985, keep listening to Flexable. That was indeed a wonderful time, but that time has long since past. I personally have been satisfied with Steve constantly evolving body of work, and I'm really exciting to hear how this record is different.

I'm reserving my judgment or complete opinion of the album until it's released. Ultimately though, I still feel it's pointless to sit around here writing about what you WISH Steve would do. If he spent his time fulfilling your vision, what would be the point? As an artist, he's compelled to write about and create what moves HIM. We can either choose to come along for the ride or not.
Lotus Feet is an old Mahavishnu Orchestra title that comes from so deep in the territory of "that place" I can only presume Steve was hoping some of the McLaughlin magic would somehow rub off and give some depth to to yet another formula Vai track seven. Boring. Like I say I love the man deeply, because I know he can do so much more than this. I saw him tear the heart out of thousands of people with ONE note from the sticker strat back in the Roth days. There's something unforgettable about an entire arena symultainiously taking a deep breath and going "SHEESH!" that any amount of pro-tools plug-in's and clever programming just can't begin to match.

Your point about alcohol was well made and I hope people realise I was just being a dumb Brit desperate to make the point that all great musicians take "it" beyond where they found it. Steve did that a long time ago when he picked up the wand from Frank, Jeff, Howe.. and he ran with it.. ..until Passion, then he just sort of stopped (with the exception of a few choice moments on Fire Garden). It's not sad, or a criticism of him as a person, it's just that his music isn't "vital" anymore. Sorry Steve, but this is Michael Lee Firkins on a bigger budget and a MUCH better hair cut. I'm digging the hair straighteners thing big time by the way.

Jim.

merlinlake78
Member
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:07 am

the new album

#59 Post by merlinlake78 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:13 am

Ahh man ..Sill have to wait 24 days?? .. for the album to be released.
The samples on the mini site .. sound absolutly amazing and incredible
huge ..A wide variaty of sounds .. and perfect guitar tone..

Could this be his greatest album yet? .. I like to think so.
Cheers to Steve Vai.. Sure like to see his band tour Europe..


Greetz
Merlinlake78

:D :D :headbang :guitar

sushi
Newcomer
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 9:21 am
Location: Providence, RI

#60 Post by sushi » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:11 am

It's just me or someone else find it very Passinon and Warfaresque?
I just heard the samples so is a little premature but I think I'm going to like it a lot, is going to be difficult to get all the sounds he's putting down but I'll be happy to try, I used to do almost all PAW back in the days.
Warm Regards
Stefano :wink:

Post Reply