Discuss the Real Illusions: Reflections Previews!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Roy Boy

#16 Post by Roy Boy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:07 am

Building The Church :headbang
Firewall :headbang
Midway Creatures :headbang
Under It All :headbang

This is gonna be sa-weeeeet :D

lydian7

#17 Post by lydian7 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:54 am

I have a very strong feeling that this record will excell anything Steve has ever done before. It epitomizes the essence of Steve's music beautifully, and I think this example of flamboyant musical excess will convert a whole new generation of Steve Vai fans. If Sony music has any brain cells, then they should clinch the niche market that are craving for great instrumental music (but have not yet been exposed to it), and make this the grandest release of a Vai album to date!

And for those that are saying that they feel Vai is too wierd, or not predictable enough for their young ears, then they must at least realise that genius is uncompromising, and it is almost always misunderstood in it's own lifetime (sadly). I hope Steve's true genius will be understood in his lifetime though. :)

'Freak Show excess' is such a funny OTT pastiche of all those jazz-fusion/Zappa type synchronised songs! I'm glad he did that, it reminds me alot of a sort of updated version of The Attitude Song. Also, wasn't 'Building the Church' the heaviest most intense music you've ever heard? I almost wish I was a new Vai fan, discovering his music for the first time through this incredible album! :D
Last edited by lydian7 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

lydian7

#18 Post by lydian7 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:13 am

Don't you think it has the same kind of feel to it as Fire Garden did? :)

Btw, someone ought to tell http://www.sonymusic.co.uk to update their website information. This is all the information they have about Steve Vai, let alone the new album release!
The new album from Steve Vai The Ultra Zoneis out now. Look out for tour dates throughout the year.
:shock:

disaxster

#19 Post by disaxster » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:44 am

just placed my order... :)

sonny sixshooter

#20 Post by sonny sixshooter » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:27 am

shacks wrote:(Shame that AGAIN its only people from the US that can pre-order the signed CD!??)
Hey Schacks! Check out : http://www.shopbootlegs.com/store/btq/s ... te=bootleg

shacks

#21 Post by shacks » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:09 am

sonny sixshooter wrote:
shacks wrote:(Shame that AGAIN its only people from the US that can pre-order the signed CD!??)
Hey Schacks! Check out : http://www.shopbootlegs.com/store/btq/s ... te=bootleg
Cheers mate. I didnt look there as I thought it was only the Live In London CD available! I have mine ordered too! (although I will getting another signed booklet in the Evo package)! I owe you a beer!!

Big Thanks Mate!

shacks

fineweather

#22 Post by fineweather » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:30 am

Fantastic! :D :D :D

...I ordered mine, because the price of the US-made,
though including the shipping cost, is cheaper than the Japanese-made!
In Japan, it's about $25!! :x

GreenMeanie

#23 Post by GreenMeanie » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:46 am

disaxster wrote:just placed my order... :)
ME TOO! Image

Joanne

shacks

#24 Post by shacks » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:47 am

fineweather wrote:Fantastic! :D :D :D

Thats the reason extra tracks are often added to CD's to encourage Japanese fans to buy Japanese CD's. I can understand it because the Imported CD wont count the same as far as record sales go! So buy the Japanese CD too and support Steve in Japan! I will be buying the RI CD in the UK too (cause I have more money than sense! HA!) to support him with UK sales! 8)

shacks

Rico

#25 Post by Rico » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:15 am

Woo Hoo!!!

Signed copies for all!!! And it's still cheaper than buying it normally than here in rip-off Britain!!! Thank you Steve!!!

fineweather

#26 Post by fineweather » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:20 am

shacks wrote:
fineweather wrote:Fantastic! :D :D :D

Thats the reason extra tracks are often added to CD's to encourage Japanese fans to buy Japanese CD's. I can understand it because the Imported CD wont count the same as far as record sales go! So buy the Japanese CD too and support Steve in Japan! I will be buying the RI CD in the UK too to support him with UK sales! 8)

shacks

I orderd and will buy the Japanese-made, of course. 8)
The new-released CD(one disc album) price is usually around $25($1=103 yen) in Japan,
though the bouns tracks is added or not...
The Japanese-made RI has no bouns track as far as I know.

JCM

#27 Post by JCM » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:27 am

Just heard them... seems more eclectic than before but gathers all the good traces from his career. Always nice to here Steve push the boundaries on guitar tone and focuses the instrument in the new millenium. Lydian is what still drives Steve to express himself (solos) which is almost a SyVy trademark in guitar history.

Lot's of orchestrated stuff too... it also reminds me a lot of Ultra Zone, v.2 now?

Can't wait to hear the songs... good work Steve! 8)

polpa
Newcomer

#28 Post by polpa » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:35 am

wow,steve is magic!......wow!!!!

-25 days

wow!!!

jimgardner1973
Newcomer

#29 Post by jimgardner1973 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 am

I'm more than a little upset with myself for expecting something totally off-the-wall and different from Steve when the sound clips appear to confirm this is yet another big reverb, synth pad, ego-fest with little in the way of the actual guitar playing style that made Steve who he is. I love the guy like a member of my family - that's why I'll still buy it and play it over and over. There's no doubting his spirit and passion for all things music, hell I wouldn't make a living as a musician and enjoy the lifestyle I have today if it where not for my being exposed to his music at the impresionable age I was circa 1985, but it's almost like he stopped being able to reach into that other place his music seemed to come from a la Flex Able, PIL, Eat and Smile, Touching Tongues, Call It Sleep etc. Steve, shut up and play yer guitar some more. Listen to Michael Hedges (again?). There are plenty of people on this forum who will shoot me down in flames and continue to polish your ego because they are either not as good at playing the guitar as you or wealthy enough to use the equipment you do or because they imagine that being into "difficult" music makes them more intelligent that people who dig the latest MTV bands - the fact is, being happy in life don't make for good rock music - eat some grit, get a drink problem - ANYTHING - just find that place again - we want to hear it played OUT like that! Didn't Robert Fripp teach you anything?

I love ya, Jimmy.

Shy Boy

#30 Post by Shy Boy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:31 am

Eh, I would pre-order it to get the autographed booklet, but that means I wouldn't get it on the day of release (shipping takes at least two days with this), and I'm already getting an autographed booklet with my Evo tour package.