Steve French interview.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Big Bad Bill

The only plausible explanations for this interview are-

Perhaps it was actually an episode of that awful MTV show 'Punked'?

Perhaps the actual interveiwer was suddenly taken ill and the janitor had to step in and come up with some 'interesting' questions (because he had a guitar when he was at Janitor College!).

Maybe the interviewer was so insanely jealous of Steve's abilities that he decided to wind him up?

Perhaps the interviewer was going to be the guitarist that Zappa favoured for his band, when suddenly Steve's transcription appeared in the post and the rest, is history! But, the jilted guitarist decided to seek vengence, many years later (afterall, vengence is a dish best served cold) and hoped that Steve would get so mad with his infantile questions that he lose it and beat the interviewer up which could then be placed on the magazine CD and discredit Steve around the world!

The balding interviewer was jealous of Steve's lush hair.

:wink:
jemgirl

what if it was not a reall interviewer,but a fake one,a loser?
it looks like it was a loser.lol
EyesOfFire0221

I dont blame steve for getting pissed off like he did...... it makes steve look like an iidot and wat was the interviewer thinking he was treating it more like a Hang out time with steve vai rather than an interview.... there where no refernces to steve or his music........ but i did find the Bobby Brown song quite funny........

Peace

Tiffany
kenny_u

We are the lucky ones to be enlightened. To many many others in the world, Steve Vai is "just another guitarist".
RAI

I think that interview was a perfect example of how cool of a guy Steve really is.
Steve didn't mind at all just hanging out, goofing around, and being silly.
I mean, Steve could have been like "OK, I don't really have time to just chat. Let's get going on the interview now!".

It's when Steve realizes that the interview is already underway, that it becomes interesting.....

"This is the interview????"
"This is what you're going to put on your CD???????????"

Can you imagine how he felt once he realized how much of his precious time he had wasted on these absolute morons?

No wonder he wanted it stopped immediately!

Go Steve!

:lol:
Big Bad Bill

I suppose the other side of it is that Steve ultimately does need these people! After all they're the ones who publicise his new albums and interview him on tour etc, so they're a vital part of the whole music business!

It seems that most musicians in the mainstream have a love/hate relationship with the music press. They're aware that without their patronage and endorsement they could end up selling 40 CDs a day out of the back of a van and eventually not be in a position to get their craft heard anywhere. But, if they use their charm and humour the interviewer, they're more likely to get a positive review and the general public will buy their music in large quantities! It must be like having the sword of Damocles hanging over you-one wrong move and down it comes!

You occasionally see the sheer attention fatigue and then irritation on the faces and voices of film stars when they're forced to do repeated 10 minute telly interviews when promoting a film. They have a false smile on their face (you can tell this type of smile from the way the eyes don't join in with the smile-just mouth and teeth!) and can bearly stop themselves seething angrily after hearing, "What was the motivation behind the character" for the thousandth time! I saw Tom Hanks do this only the other day and I hoped to see him punch the interviewer in the face (he didn't, by the way)

Most of us mere mortals can't understand this-surely it must be great being on TV talking about yourself and staying in swanky hotels? But I'm sure it becomes a bind especially for musicians who want their music to be the focus-and yet they have all these people talking about how they 'dislike his new hairstyle' and how 'he looks 'like a wuss' etc etc. It must become tiresome......................

I wouldn't mind experiencing it for a few weeks, but with the option of fading into obscurity when I got fed up of it!
JinJo

does anyone know what song it was that he played after the first time he played smoke on the water, it had fast strumming in it.
Pi2plank

i hope the interviwer doenst come across malmsteen...caused he might get a whack in the head w/ an electric guitar if he p!sses malmsteen...anyway Frank Zappa couldnt have said it better....
Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.
-Frank Zappa
8)
loran333

maybe I can help you ...
I m french and I have the magazine and the cd interview.

this is an each month interview ( always the same) name "autoroots"

Satriani did it , lukather , and many many other.

some guitar player did it with pleasure ,steve lukather is awesome he play this crap guitar like one of his luke.
and some like steve vai didnt want to play.

however it is very interesting to heard these people play another music.

I think for everybody there is a good or bad day.
these guys (vai satch etc etc..) are always challenging by other guitarist or somebody.

I have a discussion of that with patrick rondat a french guitarist who play in french g3 with satch and shencker.
satch choose and remember patrick because when they meet patrick is the only one who have not challenged joe.

so only steve vai know is state of mind when he did the interview.

the crap guitar is a takamine.
Big Bad Bill

This really does put things into perspective. It sounds like 'Autoroots' is a kind of a spoof interview. Silly questions that poke fun at authority figures (in the guitar world)-in a slightly gentler way that Ali G does (you have Ali G in USA now, don't you?)!

So maybe Steve was in a bad mood that day or he has no sense of humour and is terribly arrogant about his standing in the guitar world. Hmmmmm which do you think it is?

(the is a rhetorical question-it's wuite obviously the former!)
EirikHH

what a dumbass interviewer ! Steve deserves a little more respect than that....

He playes good though...bobby brown yeah ! very funny :D
kenny_u

This interview is like one of those bite-sized regular articles in guitar world where they get guitarists to talk about their experiences, first song learnt, best gig, worst gig, influences stuff like that that you won't read in feature length articles. I quite like it, it's more personal than reading about Steve Vai in G3, or his newest album whatever. I don't see why Vai should find it so condesceding.

If this was a feature article, then obviously anybody would be pissed, but from what loran333 said, it doesn't seem like one.
Rochus

loran333,

could you upload the Satch and Lukather interviews by any chance..I'd love to hear those :P
loran333

advice me on a mp3 hoster and I post them.
RAI

Big Bad Bill wrote:This really does put things into perspective. It sounds like 'Autoroots' is a kind of a spoof interview. Silly questions that poke fun at authority figures (in the guitar world)-in a slightly gentler way that Ali G does (you have Ali G in USA now, don't you?)!

So maybe Steve was in a bad mood that day or he has no sense of humour and is terribly arrogant about his standing in the guitar world. Hmmmmm which do you think it is?

(the is a rhetorical question-it's wuite obviously the former!)
I think Steve would have loved to do a totally silly interview, if they had just told him about it.
Is that too much to expect....?