Vai, New look?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Quikman4315

#46 Post by Quikman4315 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:03 pm

guitar_mage wrote:He should shave his head.
He would look like a freakin alien !! No offense to Steve of course...

A.M.P.

Samuele

Steve's appearance

#47 Post by Samuele » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:35 am

I don't know why this happens, but I always end up enjoying what Steve looks like. :) Really, I can't help it. If I only could look as cool as Steve does (new Ibanez photo as well), well... He also keeps changing his appearance - compare his today's image to that of the G3 DVD and then to that of the London DVD. It looks like he's always changing. Looking at the new Ibanez shot made me think of some interview Steve did in the past where he mentioned his teenage years - acting like a chameleon between different groups in town.
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, in that photo he looks fresh (did I write fresh?) and young - some of the things official shots/ads/catalogues call for. :wink: Or maybe he just wanted to look 'exotic', like Jimi Hendrix did. I think that Jimi is a big influence to Steve regarding clothes as well.

V41

Re: Steve's appearance

#48 Post by V41 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:23 am

Samuele wrote:I don't know why this happens, but I always end up enjoying what Steve looks like. :) Really, I can't help it. If I only could look as cool as Steve does (new Ibanez photo as well), well... He also keeps changing his appearance - compare his today's image to that of the G3 DVD and then to that of the London DVD. It looks like he's always changing. Looking at the new Ibanez shot made me think of some interview Steve did in the past where he mentioned his teenage years - acting like a chameleon between different groups in town.
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, in that photo he looks fresh (did I write fresh?) and young - some of the things official shots/ads/catalogues call for. :wink: Or maybe he just wanted to look 'exotic', like Jimi Hendrix did. I think that Jimi is a big influence to Steve regarding clothes as well.
Totally. Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn, he dressed real eccentrically and gypsie-like, and Hendrix was also a big influence on him.

lydian7

#49 Post by lydian7 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:40 pm

guitar_mage wrote:He should shave his head.
Why don't you just ask him to wear shades, play more bluesily, and call himself Satch in the process! :roll:

No, I think the new look really suits him. Steve's image has always been one of an artistic, flamboyant genius...and besides this new hair-do goes well with his frilly shirts :wink:

shacks

#50 Post by shacks » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:14 am

Four pages and 49 replies about Vai's 'new hair'???!!! :shock:

shacks

V41

#51 Post by V41 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:29 pm

Make that 50. :lol:

Mr. Canadian

#52 Post by Mr. Canadian » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:46 pm

what the hell is this thread? i'm almost embarassed to be a member of this forum sometimes....people tripping all over vai's latest hairdo etc? if you're a guy doing this i think you should seriously re-examine your orientation. and i often wonder if the ladies in the audience have more of a crush on vai's "look" as opposed to his actual music. who the hell cares how he looks!!! i wouldn't care if steve was a big fat toothless tranny with one eye missing, as long as he made great music. when it comes to music, looks don't mean shit.

Quikman4315

#53 Post by Quikman4315 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:56 pm

Mr. Canadian wrote:what the hell is this thread? i'm almost embarassed to be a member of this forum sometimes....people tripping all over vai's latest hairdo etc? if you're a guy doing this i think you should seriously re-examine your orientation. and i often wonder if the ladies in the audience have more of a crush on vai's "look" as opposed to his actual music. who the hell cares how he looks!!! i wouldn't care if steve was a big fat toothless tranny with one eye missing, as long as he made great music. when it comes to music, looks don't mean shit.
Ya, getting a little to obsessive on this thread...lol. I think I agree with Canadian, doesnt really matter what Steve looks like. Just as long as he keeps making his AWESOME music. Its fine to talk about the look he has going on and everything but 4 (almost 5) pages of it? Thats just my opinion...

A.M.P.

V41

#54 Post by V41 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:08 pm

Mr. Canadian wrote:what the hell is this thread? i'm almost embarassed to be a member of this forum sometimes....people tripping all over vai's latest hairdo etc? if you're a guy doing this i think you should seriously re-examine your orientation. and i often wonder if the ladies in the audience have more of a crush on vai's "look" as opposed to his actual music. who the hell cares how he looks!!! i wouldn't care if steve was a big fat toothless tranny with one eye missing, as long as he made great music. when it comes to music, looks don't mean shit.
There's nothing wrong with a guy examining the physical appearance of another guy.

If you think something's wrong with doing that, you should seriously re-examine your Freudian "subconscious psychological constructs."

GreenMeanie

#55 Post by GreenMeanie » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:18 pm

Mr. Canadian wrote: and i often wonder if the ladies in the audience have more of a crush on vai's "look" as opposed to his actual music.
Speaking as a female Vai fan (and I am only speaking for myself) I was a fan of Steve's for a long time before I even thought he was good looking and I did not think he was good looking until I met him. (and that was not until last year) Just because I think Steve is good looking does not make me less of a fan. I am sure Steve appreciates all of his female fans (and male too) and does not care if we think he is good looking or not. I am sure all of the guys that go to a Christina Aguilara concert are only there to hear her sing not see her dance around in her skimpy outfits.

Joanne

sonny sixshooter

#56 Post by sonny sixshooter » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:29 pm

V41 wrote:There's nothing wrong with a guy examining the physical appearance of another guy.

If you think something's wrong with doing that, you should seriously re-examine your Freudian "subconscious psychological constructs."
I'm sorry, but blah blah f****ing blah! It's "in" to behave like that. And Freus is norhing but in. Everyone interested in psychology starts with Freud as basic knowledge, but hopefully moves on...

And I agree, what does it matter what he looks like!? 5 bloody pages of comments!? (I know I'm now another one in the flock, but still...)

V41

#57 Post by V41 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:37 pm

sonny sixshooter wrote:
V41 wrote:There's nothing wrong with a guy examining the physical appearance of another guy.

I'm sorry, but blah blah f****ing blah! It's "in" to behave like that. And Freus is norhing but in. Everyone interested in psychology starts with Freud as basic knowledge, but hopefully moves on...

And I agree, what does it matter what he looks like!? 5 bloody pages of comments!? (I know I'm now another one in the flock, but still...)
I'm actually taking a Psychology course, we didn't start with Freud.

And it's in to behave like what?

It's unnatural to act like you're not interested for fear of having your "orientations" questioned, in my opinion.

If you have a problem with people worrying about what Steve looks like, talk to the site administrators who put the photoshoot on the website in the first place.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#58 Post by Mikey » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:40 pm

Let's end this silly nonsense now.

Thanks,

Mikey
vai.com

Mr. Canadian

#59 Post by Mr. Canadian » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:45 pm

V41 wrote: There's nothing wrong with a guy examining the physical appearance of another guy.

Maybe where you're from it's the norm to sit around with a bunch of your friends discussing what musicians "look" like or even give each other beauty tips and evaluate each others attire, hair etc.? I've never been prone to such behaviour myself and it does seem odd that it shows up at a VAI FORUM. I would have expected to see such lengthy discussions on inane topics maybe at a some pop princess' or boy band's site where the emphasis on the music and listening to it is always secondary.

now if you'll excuse me, i have to re-examine some "useless freudian jargon". :P

Psychlone

#60 Post by Psychlone » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:52 pm

I like the shirt. I like the hair. I like the guitar. I like the guitar music the guy with the guitar makes. I like the green color of the back drop.

I like this picture.