Live At The Astoria, London DVD Discussion

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
stevo

#31 Post by stevo » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:20 am

lol!!

John

#32 Post by John » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:05 pm

LMAO
Don't know if you remember, but there was a tall one and a short one. Well the short one's boyfriend was there too, and after the show, the chicks were kinda flirting with Billy and Tony on some couch backstage, and the guy was there watching the whole thing. I was feeling bad for him. It wasn't like they got their salad tossed or anything, but still...lol
But they were cool chicks, we hung out quite a bit the second night, it was great. They were friends of Billy's actually.

jem7v

hehe

#33 Post by jem7v » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:48 pm

yeah,,,it was the short one that was with tony when i saw them,,in dublin.....i can remember them chatting before the show about greenpeace,,and working to save the planet,,and all that stuff.........by the way,,,,how were u backstage????

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#34 Post by Mikey » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:03 pm

;)

John

#35 Post by John » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:41 pm

I ran into Dave that afternoon and he put me on the guest list. How cool of him!
Btw I took part in their green peace conversation in London the second day when we were waiting for the show to begin. Is that what you're refering to?

Anyway, as far as the DVD, Mod777 suggested that we gave our ideas in this thread, what do you all think? I'd love to have an audio commentary, and the man also said that he has some pretty cool footage from the S&R tour live in LA that he wanted to include, I hope it works out! \m/

kettil

#36 Post by kettil » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:11 am

John wrote:...and the man also said that he has some pretty cool footage from the S&R tour live in LA that he wanted to include, I hope it works out! \m/
Yay! We want some S&R footage!

:D

rfb
Newcomer

#37 Post by rfb » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:09 am

kettil wrote:[
Yay! We want some S&R footage!
Yes. Yes, we certainly do!

- rfb

jem7v

greetings

#38 Post by jem7v » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:39 am

john,,,i was right to ur left next to the tall chick.......
the carmeras were rolling when sardinas was playing his set,,,will any of that be on the dvd,,,or maybe he was recording it for his on project,,,,did anyone think that sardina,s bass player looked like cheech????????? from cheech and chong!!!!lol.....before the dublin gigs,,i met sardinas and his drummer(fraiser)at the bar,,,very cool guys........

erm

#39 Post by 962 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:11 am

the Britney thing must've been on both nights, cause he definitely said, I've only ever been to one Vai show, and it was definitely on the friday! cool!

Thanks for posting band-member names. that's been bugging me since December 7th, 2001!!!!!

If the recording is going to be released on VHS too, Steve should add some Eric Sardinas Band footage as a special feature to the DVD. Updated discography, maybe a brief profile on the band members, just like on Dream Theater's millenium DVD.
Maybe a little extra from Steve, saying what he thought of the show, what he wanted to do with it, what he thought of the band, what he thought of the venue and the crowd.
Maybe a brief outline of what equipment Steve uses, like Joe did on his Live In San Fran DVD...........I know, we all know what stuff Steve uses, but not everybody buying the DVD will be visitors to the site.

Was there any footage taken of sound checks?

John

#40 Post by John » Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:15 pm

Here's the setlist of the London shows (in album order):

Shyboy
The Attitude Song
Liberty
Erotic Nightmares
The Animal
For The Love Of God
Blue Powder
Bad Horsie
The Crying Machine
Bangkok
Bull Whip
Jibboom
Giant Balls Of Gold
Blood & Glory
Whispering a Prayer
Incantation
Fire (Hendrix)
Little Wing (Hendrix)
Chameleonn (by Billy)
Dave solo piece
Keyboard solo
Drum Solo

962 - yeah they filmed the soundcheck. :)

hmm

#41 Post by 962 » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:24 pm

They filmed sound checks? they HAVE to put that as a special on the DVD!
:P
that set list is certainly differently to the friday night - Liberty was pretty much at the end, cause Eric came up on stage and joined in with that one. They also played the intro to Deep Down Into The Pain. Among other things, and the list was longer than that cause it was a LONG LONG show! but that isn't far wrong! :D

jem7v

#42 Post by jem7v » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:54 pm

as far as i can remember,,,the set list was the same both nights,,,,,even the 2 shows in dublin the set list did,nt vary,,,,,,,remember 962,,,that set list is,nt in the order the tunes were played......its in album order,,,,,by the way john,,,how the hell can u remember the set list,,,,,you must have wroth it down during the gig????????????

John

#43 Post by John » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:18 am

Nah, I wrote it down when I got back home...

My guess is that the soundcheck footage only provides Steve extra material for the editing process. I don't think it will be used much (if at all), I assume it was rather a precautionary measure in case they screwed up some of the harder parts both nights. I think they only filmed the second one, but I'm not sure.

kevycanavan
Newcomer

Dub

#44 Post by kevycanavan » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:26 am

I was staning front row centre as well on night one (Dublin) and just behind on thew second night. I remember that tall chick that left with Tony MacAlpine the first night...and with chris frasier the second!

I was standing outside Vicar St all day. Those two chicks showed up too and i was talking to them for a while. One of Dr. Vai's roadies then came out and took them backstage, leaving me standing there all day on my own, Cunts!

jem7v

#45 Post by jem7v » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:48 am

yeah,,on the the first night in dublin i stuck around after the gig,,and vai signed my jem7v,,,,was way cool,,,and last summer i brought my chromeboy into the satriani gig at the red box,,was at the front,,and at the end he took it on stage signed it and handed back to me,,,was very very cool,,,he even commented"nice guitar"..hahaha....in london they filmed the 2 nights,,im sure of it.........