Live At The Astoria, London DVD Discussion

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
adds3566

Yes the t.v is ntsc compatible, i have played ntsc videos from the states through it, and i do have my playstation through the scart lead, like i said the dvd plays and sounds great but it's in black&white, thanks for the reply anyway, Adds.....
GitarooMan

So you've played other NTSC dvd's on your ps2 and they work fine? Sony essentially disabled the playback of dvd's via RGB by causing everything to play back with a green tint. If your other dvd's play without this tint maybe your cable isnt RGB and perhaps if it were this might help with the black and white problem? I currently use S-video cables as this gets around the green tint playback problem so I cant test my NTSC dvd's to be sure.

Perhaps the ps2 puts out Pal60hz and not true NTSC, or the other way around, and this is the problem?

I'm boring myself now :lol:

Hope you sort the problem.

EDIT: I just tried my Satch NTSC dvd and this plays back in colour only in 3.58NTSC mode, not Pal Or 4.43NTSC. If that means anything to you.
BaaMoo

Mikey wrote: Thanks for your post. Europe is certainly NOT a commercial backwater.

The delay with the DVD is production/technical - not because there is less consideration for the EU market.
I didn't mean to imply that it WAS for commecial reason. If you throw enougth time and resources at somthing it will happen but this would be uneconomical. I guess the point that I'm making is that I don't imagine Steve Vai himself will be stitting over the footage 18hours/day, everyone especially Mr Vai has tons of other things to do too.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that its better to burn out than fade away. No thats not it. Its that we don't have a God given right to see/hear Steve Vai play, he lets us (ok we pay for it but its still his choice) and when it happens its a blessing. I'm going on too much.

Can I just ask...Why did Steve Vai choose to film in London?

Cheers
ds23pallas

Play.com are now listing a release date of 23rd Feb. I suspect that in a few days this will be put back again.

Come on Mikey - give us a release date!! You cannot possibly tell me that there is no commercial release date. The publishers must have a date for Europe, they couldn't run a business without that sort of control.

Personally I am completely pissed off about the whole thing, I've already waited months for a PAL version and it's still no closer. I'm all but ready to forget buying the thing at all and I suspect I'm not the only one over here to feel that way.

I cannot possibly see how 'technical issues' can delay a PAL conversion for months - surely it isn't THAT much different to creating an NTSC disc. Heck the disc is region free!!

I can accept that there may be troubles with the duplication/publication plants but even so that gives no reason not to set a release date. The plants must have been able to supply release dates or else you wouldn't be using them right?

Perhaps there are some (strictly) commericial reasons for this delay that Epic/whoever are keeping from us...
Vaitalitarion

:lol: :lol: Strictly commercial *cough*zappa*cough*

I sent an email to Amazon asking them where the hell my dvd is. And its been a sort of descent into madness. They told me it would be in the mail two days ago, today I saw they snook the release date a few more days away. We need a figure head like Michael Moore to physically go to Amazon hq and kick up a storm with good questions. I dont care what people say. England is a big stupid mess. We're the last for everything, and its easily one of the richest 3rd world countries. NOTHING works.
:twisted: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH :twisted:

Ahem, can't one of you higher powers contact the retailers and tell them to quit with the inconveniences on punishment of beating them to death with the dvd they are selling, but they don't have.
Henrique Henriques

Can you believe that MY ASTORIA DVD is still not here.
I didn't get it yet, and on the 12th it's gonna be 2 months since I have ordered it!
I have been back and forwar with the people at music today, and they keep saying that they will send it but still nothing.

:evil:
:x
Is there a lawyer in the house? :?:
ArnieBall

Gtdork wrote:Can you believe that MY ASTORIA DVD is still not here.
I didn't get it yet, and on the 12th it's gonna be 2 months since I have ordered it!

Same with me from another online store : Pre-Ordered on Nov 9th, shipped on Dec 10th... lost in the mail :evil:
Reshipped on Jan 29th... hope it will arrive very soon now :!: :!:
GitarooMan

Ultimately, Steve Vai is responsible for us not having our DVD. That we are still in the dark as for a UK release date is his choice. If you are angry as I am, be angry not at the stores but at him. Then, when he sees ticket sales and interest go down in the UK, he'll know why.

I could go on, but really, who's listening eh?
badasstommyboy

GitarooMan wrote:Ultimately, Steve Vai is responsible for us not having our DVD. That we are still in the dark as for a UK release date is his choice. If you are angry as I am, be angry not at the stores but at him. Then, when he sees ticket sales and interest go down in the UK, he'll know why.

I could go on, but really, who's listening eh?

i highly doubt that steve actually said.."ok lets make those european people wait a little longer, hahaha i'm so evil"

I'd put money on that vai would want us to have the dvd as soon as possible. When he comes to the UK, his ticket sales won't go down at all, thats just stupid. Personally, yeh i'm a bit bummed that i havn't got my dvd yet, but it doesn't mean i'm gonna stop liking Vai. I think thats very silly that you even think something like that.
GitarooMan

You've misunderstood my post. No big deal.

I've decided to cancel my Astoria dvd order anyway. I'll get it another time.

I wonder if Steve has used the time between R1 and R2 releases to address the layer change issue people have mentioned occurs during Deep Down?
badasstommyboy wrote:
i highly doubt that steve actually said.."ok lets make those european people wait a little longer, hahaha i'm so evil"

I'd put money on that vai would want us to have the dvd as soon as possible. When he comes to the UK, his ticket sales won't go down at all, thats just stupid. Personally, yeh i'm a bit bummed that i havn't got my dvd yet, but it doesn't mean i'm gonna stop liking Vai. I think thats very silly that you even think something like that.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

For those experiencing problems with Music Today, please forward me your correspondance with them, including all emails you sent them and received from them, along with your order number.

Please send to merch@vai.com, and I'll follow up.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Al M

Is there any sign of a REAL UK release date on the horizon?
BaaMoo

GitarooMan wrote: I could go on, but really, who's listening eh?
The Audience is Listening.
JoRo
Newcomer

I don't understand what the fuzz is all about. I live in Holland but i already have the DVD. Any good music store will order it for you (the US version that is). So if you dvd player isn't very old, it'l play the US version of DVD. Just to let you know.... the DVD is great!!!!!!
Only one question for Steve. On "the animal"you seem to change guitars very very fast (Evo II and Evo). Was the DVD shot on two shows???

Greetz

Johan
Lake of desire

Yes, the DVD was shot in two different shows. Sorry for answering a question intended for Steve, JoRo, but I just thought that this way you get your answer much faster. :lol: