Live At The Astoria, London DVD Discussion

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
crushingday62
Newcomer

#16 Post by crushingday62 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:04 pm

:wink:did anyone else go to that gig?it woz sooo cool. my forst vai gig was so sweet thanks so much mr vai!

keep the set list a supprise

greg

#17 Post by greg » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:57 pm

I know what I'm getting for Christmas this year.

moebius
Newcomer

#18 Post by moebius » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:00 am

I sure hope the DVD will enjoy global circulation :)

GuitarSlinger

#19 Post by GuitarSlinger » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:11 am

yep i was at the concert when it was being filmed i hope me face gets shown :D steve said he try get everyone in it .... but what a gig, vais version of little wing was like :shock: man dont even get me started i could write pages and pages

John

#20 Post by John » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:21 am

Yeah I was at both gigs. Fantasitic memory!

Nilsefix

#21 Post by Nilsefix » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:01 am

OCTOBER!?!
i cant wait that long dude ;)

WORK QUICKER MR VAI!! WE BEG YOU!!!hehehe

;)
im sure itll blow our minds !!! woooohooo

-=Nilsefix=-

Tony S

#22 Post by Tony S » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:51 am

Does anyone know if this will be released on VHS video as well as DVD?

I was there that night too, and will never forget it. It was the first time I'd seen Steve live - can't wait for the next time !! Kind of memorable in a more personal way for me too as my Dad was very ill with Cancer at the time, and so going to that concert was a real release from the stress of that time. Sadly Dad passed away just one week later. I think seeing the concert again will bring back a real mixture of memories ! But hey, emotions are good, whatever they are.

alienacidsoup

#23 Post by alienacidsoup » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:50 pm

Food, water, shelter and VAI DVD!!!

Yeskin Gallen
Newcomer

#24 Post by Yeskin Gallen » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:50 am

I was at the gig too, it was great! Just one of the nights (I'd forgotten there were 2) it must have been the first night. I saw him on the Ultra Zone tour in London too, and must say I preferred that gig. The gig on the DVD night I saw was a greatest-hits set and I much preferred the unpredictable, quirky set-list we got that previous time.

For those that went to the 2 nights: was the set different? That would be cool.

hagar
Newcomer

#25 Post by hagar » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:15 am

yep was there and took my 16 year old daughter.
Blew us both away.
Cheers

yip

#26 Post by 962 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:34 am

What night was everyone there? I went on the Friday (7th). it was so damn good. Loved the thing about Britney and the thing about Hendrix. that cracked me up, although some people didn't seem to like it too much! hehehe.

Anybody know who the drummer and keyboard players were for that show?

Yeah October seems a while to wait, but remember Steve's working on something else in the mean time! Can't wait to find out what that is!

John

#27 Post by John » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:45 am

Dude, the Britney thing was on the 6th! The drummer was Virgil Donati, and the keyboard player was Tony MacAlpine, who also played guitar.

Yeskin Gallen - yeah the setlists were the same. The cool thing was, the first half of the show was better the first night, and the second part was better the second night! I could feel that Steve was kinda tense the second night, until the Hendrix songs, then he really got into it, and somehow I felt that the whole vibe of the show changed radically (it happened right before Fire, when he was talking to the crowd)! Btw they also filmed the soundcheck the second day, to have extra footage.

jem7v

greetings from Ireland

#28 Post by jem7v » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:56 am

the dvd was recorded over 2 nights at the astoria......6/12/01 and 7/12/03.....and i cant wait for it,,as i was there,,,right at the front row,,,directly in front of steve.......i was beside these 2 chicken lickens,,and i remember them being totally into steve,,flirting and all that shit,,,and steve was loving it...lol...winkin and blowing kisses back at them,,hehe..what a guy,,hahaha.........anyway,,,i remember on the 2,nd night(i was at both,,,also got to see the two shows in vicar,st in dublin on the 9th and 10th)the start of erotic nightmare.....just as everything kicks in,,i started headbanging,,,and when i brought my head back up,,i saw a camera man right in front of me,,filming me.....he just kinda smiled and turned the camera back to steve........now i know for that one moment in time,,,there is probably several camera shots to choose from,,as the was at least a handful of cameras filming that night,,,,,,,,,,but steve!!!!!!!!.....if you get to read this,,,,im begging you,,,,,please please please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use the shot of of me swinging my mop all over the shop,,,,,,it would be hella cool...........cant wait to see it......as they were incredible shows to see.....especially when you and tony mccalpine threw your guitars around each others backs and played,,,,,,,,,also cant wait for the new album and tour,,,,make sure to visit Dublin again,,,,,,,,,,,ill buy you a guinness or 5........se ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

#29 Post by John » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:33 am

Hey, that's exactly where I was too! And I remember those chicks (kinda dark skinned/asian looking right?)

jem7v

greetings

#30 Post by jem7v » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:49 am

your on the ball john,,that was them...........when i saw vai in dublin a few days later they were there also,,,,i hung on after the show,,and met vai as he left the venue,,got a photo taken with him,,,and got my jem7v signed,,,,,cool,,eh.......and i saw t.mccalpine leaving with on of those chicks,,,,,she was clingin out of his arm........haha he certainly was,nt practicing his scales that night,,,,,lol