the Hidden Moves...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
spcastlemagic

Pi2plank wrote: 1) What could Joe Satriani's "Hidden (Super) Moves" be??? ??
Satch is a very laid back, melodical player and you forget about his Hidden Super Move until you listen to mystical potato groove thing: the hammeron arpeggio on 6 strings.

Satch can be boring but when he does that it's :shock:
Evil Betty

Regarding the original post: I think it's a complete misconception a lot of people have that Joe "taught" Steve all the "moves" licks and skill he has today. The martial arts master/student analogy you used above is amusing, but not in any way an accurate reflection of their relationship. It's well documented that Joe was also learning guitar at the same time as Steve. He was a couple of years older than Steve, and it makes sense to assume that he was only an embryonic version (chops-wise) of the Joe Satriani we know today. He wasn't a fully-formed guitar master that bestowed infinite wisdom on Steve. Reading many interviews, it's obvious that Joe had a very big influence on Steve during some of his formative years. But then so did Berklee, Zappa (maybe the most) and DLR.

Obviously I'm a bigger Steve fan because I'm here and not on Joe's messageboard but both Steve and Joe are amazing.

E.B.
KGNOKODOMO

hello:
i must say i first knew satriani with surfing with the alien, i remember it was new years eve and i was listening to it in may walkman, as soon as i heard "always with me" i got shocked, it is so beautiful i could not belive this could be done in guitar. i remember listening that song 10 times that night i even tried to make all my brothers listen to it. and i remember by that same time i heard "attitude song" from vai and i was like: oh that is ok, a bit weird. but as i started to learn the instrument i began to understand vai's music more and more, and i found satriani's music is good music i respect him very much as a player, but i found vai's music , not better, but to me he has more tools to express on the instrument, if you check both players have some repetitive licks that make you say oh!! that is satch, or oh!! that is vai. just i think vai has explored more the possibilities of the instrument and its limits of expression, i guess he is on the middle of the way, yet to discover so much more. but he goes on and on forward
and sorry to say (to me)satch has been in the same zone of the instrument for all this years and the only thing he seems to be exploring is whammy pedal. check out hislates record and see what i mean, for me he seems to be moving side to side not moving forward.
i stopped buying satch cd's since the extremist.
of course take this as only my point of view, please nobody be ofended by this words.

peace
Ryan Layton
Banned

i think kgnokodomo has a point. vai keeps pushing himself but satch says 'ok, im a blues rocker with some wicked chops and a whole lot of knowledge, lets write some kick ass tunes'. satch doesn't suck and hes not lame, but hes found his area and he wants to push that area to its limit. vai however, focuses on not being stuck in an area and is always exploring.
KGNOKODOMO

oh!!!
i forgot to say:
that is why i dont think , satch may have his special secret move to show to vai , i am sure (and again i dont mean to disrespect mr satch) that technically vai is way beyond mr satch, in other words i think there is not any move that vai cant copy to satch (technically speaking) and i am sure any person here who can play always with me and for thelove of god knows what i mean.
note that i am never saying vai is better than satch, that would be stupid!!!

by the way i am a big fan of martial arts movies!!(specially bruce lee´s ones)

am i in the wrong board?
:oops:
brainpolice

"note that i am never saying vai is better than satch, that would be stupid!!!"
Thats fine. Ill say it for you. Vai is way better then Satch.
phil27

Who cares who's better? To me they both have something to offer. All this rubbish about who is better is all a bit childish.
Pi2plank

I think it's a complete misconception a lot of people have that Joe "taught" Steve all the "moves" licks and skill he has today.
- I think you missed my point there. It was not about Joe=Master, Vai=Student...When a guitar player reaches the playing that Steve and Joe has, he cant possibly say he's the best because he knows that some other guitar player might have some techniques he doesnt know although he knows some techniques the other guitar player doesnt know...So when the lights are out, & the audience is gone...what new techniques could these guitarists probably do?...maybe they've not yet shown it to the world because they havent perfected it yet, or its still too personal...so that was what my 1st Q was about...

- Now about my Q#2, I read somewhere in an interview during their G3 tour(Joe,Vai,&Yngwie) about Vai saying that he was standing between two giants (that would be Joe and Yngwie)..BUT he himself didnt say that he was a giant too...I mean how come Steve doesnt give much credit to himself when I know he deserves more credit than he should have?...BUT he always has positive something to say about others like Yngwie and Fripp...
Who cares who's better? To me they both have something to offer. All this rubbish about who is better is all a bit childish.
This thread was NOT about who's better between Steve and Joe...I believe thats in another thread...IT'S about what other possible potential(techniques) could they bring out from the guitar...IT'S about Steve's insight on how he sees other guitarists...........& about (Kill Bill Vol.2)Pai Mei's five point finger exploding heart attack move w/c could have probably started this thread in the first place.... 8)

-Pi2plank
phil27

pi2plank wrote:This thread was NOT about who's better between Steve and Joe...I believe thats in another thread...IT'S about what other possible potential(techniques) could they bring out from the guitar...IT'S about Steve's insight on how he sees other guitarists...........& about (Kill Bill Vol.2)Pai Mei's five point finger exploding heart attack move w/c could have probably started this thread in the first place....

I was referring to this:
brainpolice wrote:"note that i am never saying vai is better than satch, that would be stupid!!!"
Ryan Layton
Banned

"note that i am never saying vai is better than satch, that would be stupid!!!"
again... not a good way to make friends on the board
brainpolice

This is a Steve Vai website afterall :) I think its rather in context to say that. NOt a good way to make friends? Maybe on a Satch Baord.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

brainpolice wrote:This is a Steve Vai website afterall :) I think its rather in context to say that. NOt a good way to make friends? Maybe on a Satch Baord.
You're missing the point. It's not a dicksize contest. Who is 'better' is a subjective opinion and not relevant here or anywhere. If you think Vai is better, good for you. I don't think either is better, they are both briliant in their own realms.

Really, you're beating a dead horse here.
phil27

Jeroenn wrote:
brainpolice wrote:This is a Steve Vai website afterall :) I think its rather in context to say that. NOt a good way to make friends? Maybe on a Satch Baord.
You're missing the point. It's not a dicksize contest. Who is 'better' is a subjective opinion and not relevant here or anywhere. If you think Vai is better, good for you. I don't think either is better, they are both briliant in their own realms.

Really, you're beating a dead horse here.
well said mate. Playing guitar is not or shouldn't be a competition.
munchocruncho

Steve, in my opinion, Is definately better.

When searching for hope to be a virtuoso i came up with this theory after asking myself: How is it possible that 2 of the greatest guitarists knew each other growing up:

But i think their are two kinds of guitar greatness. Theres the Born great, and theres the Became great. Joe was born with greatness, steve practiced 9-10 hours a day to become great. If steve didnt have determination he wouldnt be so good, you dont own a john sergio record, and he took lessons from steve(i dont know if johns good or not thats besides the point.)

So most people would say to be steve vai you need natural talent, and i believe thats wrong and that steve wasnt born with the ta----- Forget im just rambling on and if i keep talking pretty soon cheese and stuff will get in to the convo.
phil27

:roll: :lol: