the Hidden Moves...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Rochus

#31 Post by Rochus » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:11 am

munchocruncho wrote:Steve, in my opinion, Is definately better.
Theres the Born great, and theres the Became great. Joe was born with greatness, steve practiced 9-10 hours a day to become great. If steve didnt have determination he wouldnt be so good, you dont own a john sergio record, and he took lessons from steve(i dont know if johns good or not thats besides the point.)
Vai said that somewhere himself. It was amongst the lines of:

"If someone who really had talent practised with the same determination I had they'd be far better than me."

Now, If someone would be kind enough to find that article :wink:

Fretboard Wizard

Re: the Hidden Moves...

#32 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:27 am

Pi2plank wrote: 1) What could Joe Satriani's "Hidden (Super) Moves" be??? ??

-Pi2plank

I have thought about it some, and I must say, Satch does some very awesome two handed tapping, and I've never heard vai do two handed tapping....by this I mean playing chords witht the left hand, and doing melody and harmony with the right hand. Satch may have easy backgrounds going on, but he has great super moves.

Fretboard Wizard

#33 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:02 am

Just to set my previous post up properly, I'll say that I'm a very big Satch fan, and a very big Vai fan. Vai's music is more appealing to me. It does a lot more for me than Satch's music. On the other hand, when I'm in a different mood, Satch's music does more for me. Overall though, I really like Vai's music better and I'm getting tired of Satriani doing the same thing every album. I like all of his stuff up until Crystal Planet. Everything after that is just ok for me. The new album "Is there Love in Space" really got my attention though. Satch, to me, is more like a jammer, easy going pentatonics, easy backgrounds (though great legato and secret moves), and Vai on the other hand is more like a precision orientated crafter. That probably sounded weird, so by this I mean, Vai is always looking to go some place with his music, where Satch just seems happy jamming. Like someone said earlier in this thread, Vai has complicated things going on for every instrument, unlike Satch. Which is exactly why I prefer Vai's music over Satch. I still don't think Vai can two hand tap though...can he? I'm sure he has the ability to, but does he? I lack two of his albums, so maybe that's why I don't know.

brainpolice

#34 Post by brainpolice » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:42 am

U sure? Vai cant two hand tap? Vai has some of the craziest tapping ideas ive ever heard. Maybe you should listen again. :P

Fretboard Wizard

#35 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:15 am

Actually, most artists I listen to can eat Vai for lunch when it comes to tapping....I don't mean this in any bad way, I'm just saying Vai isn't the craziest tapper. All the tapping I have seen and heard him do is just legato tapping. (this doesnt go to say that it is easy). Legato tapping is just standard tapping and pull off with your right hand. You tap with your right hand, and pull off to ring a note that your fretting hand is on. It's the normal tapping everybody knows. Now, if you listen to Victor Wooten, or other bass players in his league, you will find that they rarely do legato tapping, but rather, staccato tapping. (chords with left, lead with right). It's a lot more rythmic. I've never seen Vai do this. If you aren't familiar with two handed tapping, (which, by the "two hands" would seem like normal legato tapping, but isn't), then check out Reggie Wooten. Anyways, I never said Vai CANT, I said he doesn't. At least not on the albums I have. I only lack two, so he may on those albums....which is why I asked if anyone knows. You kidding? A genius like Vai could probably do anything.

Fretboard Wizard

#36 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:18 am

I'm sorry, now that I read my post above, I actually did say he couldn't. Oops, sorry! But then I clarified that he probably could. I just figured that if he didn't two hand tap on all the albums I had, then he wouldn't probably on the other two. Sorry! My mistake! :D

salamancafiesta

#37 Post by salamancafiesta » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:45 am

Fretboard Wizard wrote:Actually, most artists I listen to can eat Vai for lunch when it comes to tapping....I don't mean this in any bad way, I'm just saying Vai isn't the craziest tapper. All the tapping I have seen and heard him do is just legato tapping. (this doesnt go to say that it is easy). Legato tapping is just standard tapping and pull off with your right hand. You tap with your right hand, and pull off to ring a note that your fretting hand is on. It's the normal tapping everybody knows. Now, if you listen to Victor Wooten, or other bass players in his league, you will find that they rarely do legato tapping, but rather, staccato tapping. (chords with left, lead with right). It's a lot more rythmic. I've never seen Vai do this. If you aren't familiar with two handed tapping, (which, by the "two hands" would seem like normal legato tapping, but isn't), then check out Reggie Wooten. Anyways, I never said Vai CANT, I said he doesn't. At least not on the albums I have. I only lack two, so he may on those albums....which is why I asked if anyone knows. You kidding? A genius like Vai could probably do anything.

I have a video of Steve with Alcatrazz. Power Live. In it Steve Vai plays the typical 5 and 4 string Yngwie sweep arpeggio patterns using 2 handed tapping. He does it a lot on this video. If I got time and find a mpeg tools shit so I can slice it Ill upload it to my site

Psychlone

#38 Post by Psychlone » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:12 am

Yeah, Steve's never done anything like "Midnight" or "A Day at the Beach" (although he CAN tap like a mofo, check out "Mysterious Murder of C.T.'s Lover", the solos in "Bad Horsie" and "Juice", and more which eludes at the moment), but you know what never gets mentioned? His UNBELIEVABLE arpeggios.

Seriously, listen to the end of "Taurus Bulba" when he's winding things up or to the section in the intro to "I Know You're Here" where he bursts out these psycho-fast runs up and down the entire neck. It sounds like his guitar is going to explode. I think that this is Steve's secret finishing move. Has anyone else noticed this underrated skill of his?

Fretboard Wizard

#39 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:42 am

Dude you don't have to tell me to check his stuff out, I only lack two albums! :D And yeah, I am aware of the fact that Vai is a great tapper, but there are still dudes out there that can tap better.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#40 Post by Jeroen » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:04 pm

Fretboard Wizard wrote:Dude you don't have to tell me to check his stuff out, I only lack two albums! :D And yeah, I am aware of the fact that Vai is a great tapper, but there are still dudes out there that can tap better.
Maybe true that there are loads of others who can technically perform taps better than Vai. But I've never heard anyone use that technique so tastfully as Vai does. Example; G3 Live DVD, Get the hell out of here (and the orignial version too BTW), after the lick exchange with Tony, he goes into this great run. Blows my brain everytime I see it, it's damn near perfection. (and indeed probably not complex or overly difficult...but it works!)

Fretboard Wizard

#41 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:17 pm

I'm not saying that Vai's tapping isn't complicated or hard...know what? Screw it, he is one of the best tappers I've seen....legato tapping...*snicker*....

V41

#42 Post by V41 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:52 pm

Fretboard Wizard wrote:I'm not saying that Vai's tapping isn't complicated or hard...know what? Screw it, he is one of the best tappers I've seen....legato tapping...*snicker*....
I don't get it. It's funny because he only does legato tapping...? Maybe he hasn't found a reason yet to do any other kind of tapping in his songs. Or maybe he can't do any other kind of tapping. Who cares? His songs could be awesome on a one-stringed cheap acoustic, because he has the ability to write and play beautiful music, and that's what makes him great, not how well or unwell he can tap.

He's also one of the most instrumentally skilled guitarists ever, in being able to play a variety of styles and techniques well. Maybe if he put all of his efforts into tapping he'd be better, but he's obviously not too concerned with it, so why should we be?

Fretboard Wizard

#43 Post by Fretboard Wizard » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:01 pm

I wasn't laughing at him at all, I know he is a great tapper. I was making fun of myself because I contradicted my original post which stated that other artists can tap better....then I said, screw it...for fun!

V41

#44 Post by V41 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:48 pm

Fretboard Wizard wrote:I wasn't laughing at him at all, I know he is a great tapper. I was making fun of myself because I contradicted my original post which stated that other artists can tap better....then I said, screw it...for fun!
Ah, I see. I misunderstood. Okie dokie then.

b2

#45 Post by b2 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:36 pm

YES! I think you have watched too many chinese movies lately :D But it was a nice question and also very sweet :wink: