the Hidden Moves...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Pi2plank

the Hidden Moves...

#1 Post by Pi2plank » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:05 am

I'm a fan of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani BUT if I have to rate them both, I would say that I'm a bit more impressed with Steve Vai than w/ Satriani. I read somewhere in an interview about Steve saying that Joe is the best electric guitar player on the planet or something like it... Now I'm wondering...

-Ive seen chinese martial arts movies about masters & their students..& the students are able bodied. physically fit...always whining about their training And their masters are frail and old BUT one day the student sees the master practicing and the master demolishes a pillar of rock w/ his palm..then the student is surprised about this super move and then asks his master to teach him about this ..then beats the crap out of the bad guys w/ the Super move.......-

ANYWAY...What if Steve & Joe are alone in the studio & they're trading riffs and then Joe pulls out a Super Move & then Steve would be like "Wooo...How'd you do that Joe"...and then Joe would be thinking([grin] do you remember your 1st guitar teacher?..hehe..CLASS DISMISSED..)...But back on the real world, Steve would be on the spotlight and Joe would just try to be a cool guitar player BUT when the audience is gone,both of them are alone(or back on their homeworld) its a different story...

So I'm thinking of answers instead I got 3 Q's...
1) What could Joe Satriani's "Hidden (Super) Moves" be??? ??
2) Was Steve just trying to be kind by saying Joe is the best...????
3) Or have I been watching too many chinese movies lately ????

-could be the chinese movies.....

-Pi2plank

Picabo

#2 Post by Picabo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:22 am

Just like you, I'm more impressed by Steve's playing than Joe's but I don't think Steve is telling that Joe's the best just to be kind. I think he just remembers what Joe did for him. As much as Steve does impress me, I don't think he'd be the same if it wasn't for Joe.

The way I see it, they're more like TWO masters that grew up together! :)

tim_knox

#3 Post by tim_knox » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:30 am

Satriani has really really good blues chops!!! And Vai himself says he cant play straight up blues. Personally i think Joe is an incredibly well rounded just great guitarist and Steve has just found his style and has taken it to incredible levels. And i doo like Steve's music better I dont even have a Satch cd :shock:

brainpolice

#4 Post by brainpolice » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:31 am

This is all opinion i guess, but i like Steve way better then Satch. To me, satch doesnt have very much taste. He has great legato and phrasing, but he has poor taste. whenever i listen to satch i get the impression that its background music, with him soloing over it. I dont get that idea when i hear Vai. What i mean is, theres nothing interesting goin on with the drums, bass, or keys or anything. Its all just background. Steve on the other hand has plenty of things going on for everyone.
To me, Steve will always be doing INTERESTING stuff, while Joe continues to do semi-interesting things with boring background music going on.

jemgirl

#5 Post by jemgirl » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:05 pm

they are both good in there own way, its just a matter of taste.
just like eric clapton or jimi hendrix etc.etc. they are really good, but maybe you don`t like them, there is not sutch a thing like, the very best guitarplayer.
personly steve`s music sounds better in my ears than joe`s music, but i like them both. 8)

peace,

patricia

Bono

#6 Post by Bono » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:02 pm

I'm more impressed by Vais playing than Satchs, but I'm more impressed by Satchs music than Vais, and for me it's all about the music which is why I slightly favour Joe...but its almost impossible to decide whos the better player.

Edit - Saying this, Satch is still an incredible player and Steve still writes incredible music. I always find it hard comparing the two and trying not to slag either of them off at the same time.

Psychlone

#7 Post by Psychlone » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:08 pm

My two cents is that Joe is the more melodically accessible player, but Steve is the better player. In other words, people might think Joe is better because they don't understand the full extent of what Vai is doing. For instance, I was just confused by a lot of "Passion and Warfare" when I first encountered it because I just didn't understand what was going on. But now I listen to "Blue Powder" or "Erotic Nightmares" or "Boston Rain Melody" and my God, Steve is BY FAR the number one guitar player of all time (yes, better than Jimi, if only on sheer technical knowledge).

Bono

#8 Post by Bono » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:34 am

Psychlone wrote:My two cents is that Joe is the more melodically accessible player, but Steve is the better player. In other words, people might think Joe is better because they don't understand the full extent of what Vai is doing. For instance, I was just confused by a lot of "Passion and Warfare" when I first encountered it because I just didn't understand what was going on. But now I listen to "Blue Powder" or "Erotic Nightmares" or "Boston Rain Melody" and my God, Steve is BY FAR the number one guitar player of all time (yes, better than Jimi, if only on sheer technical knowledge).
I know exactly what you mean - I know lots of people that respect Steve for being an amazing guitar player but not necessarily like his music. Bit like me and Yngwie - he's one hell of a guitar player but I don't like that much of his music really.

The Extremist

#9 Post by The Extremist » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:54 am

I can personally say myself, i listen to loads more satriani than Vai, although Vai is one of my favourites, Satriani owns him some how. Steve's music is sometimes really intense listening and trippy but amazing stuff.

But Joe takes the simple things and makes them amazing and thats what i like about Satriani, he does the simple things at the highest level and really blows me away.

Vai has a harder style to learn, its really hard to grip to, but Satriani's style can be done if enough pratice is done i think, so i think Satch >> Vai....Dont ban me.

Pro-string strummer

#10 Post by Pro-string strummer » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:17 pm

Vai's music is great... and he's a great player... I think paul gilbert and yngwie are amazing players... but not too keen on thier music unlees racer X and mr big come back

Vaiboy

#11 Post by Vaiboy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:26 am

I found the original poster's movie analogy very entertaining. It conjured images of both players dressed in martial arts gear while exchanging poorly synched dialogue. Heh.

Steve is my favorite player. However, I probably listen to Joe more often. To me, it depends on my mood. I consider Steve's music more challenging and I have to give it full attention in order to really enjoy it properly. Joe's music on the other hand, I can enjoy more easily, wherever, whenever.

Although I believe Steve to be the more technical player, I don't know that I consider one's music better than the other. That is very subjective.

I'm just happy I can enjoy both and I don't have to choose.

KGNOKODOMO

that is it man!!!

#12 Post by KGNOKODOMO » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:35 pm

Psychlone wrote:My two cents is that Joe is the more melodically accessible player, but Steve is the better player. In other words, people might think Joe is better because they don't understand the full extent of what Vai is doing. .
that is it men!!!!! is about understanding!!! it might sound a bit like " music should not be an intellectual thing" , but in fact it is, music besides being enjoyed, should be understood!!!! and thay is precisly how we have a bunch of jerks bashing vai´s chops, just because they dont understand them!!!! good point psych.....!!!
5 thumbs up on vai

peace!!!

V41

#13 Post by V41 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:23 am

I'm not really sure how to answer about secret techniques and such. I've watched a lot of Chinese martial arts movies, too, but... I'd have to give it more guitar'based thought first, and right now it seems everyone would rather discuss Steve Vai and Joe Satriani as just players... so I'm going to do that. Though to see Steve demolish a stone post with his playing would be... uh... more than interesting.

Steve's music is a lot more complicated than Joe's. Joe's is easier to listen to. My brother is a big Joe Satriani fan and he plays his music all but constantly... I've noticed I can stand and listen to it and get into it without much trouble. But a lot of Steve's stuff you have to listen to once or twice to remember all the notes. Joe tends to repeat phrasings while Steve's solos are more varied, perhaps more "wacky" if that word is accessible.

Their styles are obvious during the G3 Jams. Obviously, both Steve and Joe can play blues; they both play well on Red House during the G3 Jam with Eric Johnson. But when it gets to something more complicated, Steve is more prone to quick runs over the strings and sometimes induplicable tremelo abuse. Joe's playing is easier to follow, but that doesn't make it better or worse.

I suppose it depends on what you prefer to listen to. Perhaps Joe can do all of the quick, crazy things Steve does, but he doesn't feel that's how he wants to play. I've always felt a truly accomplished guitarist would start out and get as quick as they could... but then learn that on a lot of stuff, playing as fast and shreddily as you can isn't the best way to play; you have to be able to apply yourself to all different styles. That's how I feel anyway.

If you listen to Feed My Frankenstein on Various Artists, or if you have the Alice Cooper CD... both Steve and Joe play on that one, and it's obvious who is playing which solo, to me. I think that's a good demonstration of both their differences and similarities.

Anyway, that's all I have to say right now. Hope that helps something... or at least sparks more healthy debate.

brainpolice

#14 Post by brainpolice » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:55 am

Im just surprised this thread came up, because the more Steve Vai i hear, the more boring Joe Satriani seems.

summer_sky

#15 Post by summer_sky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:02 am

i've just bought my first Satriani album.... 'Surfing With The Alien' .... and my initial impression is that Satriani has great technique and a wonderful imagination, but isn't the highly expressive, emotional showman that is Steve Vai.