VAI: Piano Reductions Vol. 1 - PRE-SALE DISCUSSION ONLY

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Sliver

When I first started reading about this I was excited beacuse I figured it would be Vai's take on "An Evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess" but when he said it was going to feature Mike Keneally only, I must say I am a bit dissapointed. If Vai would've played on it - and because I know he plays the acoustic guitar exquisitely - this album would've been a masterpiece.

Now it's just mediocre, a regular, not ...much.

:roll:
Picabo

Mike Keneally on keyboards: just mediocre, a regular, not ...much??? :shock:

You must be kidding...
rdnzl

I think you should listen to it before you judge it and call it mediocre...
Moderator777

rdnzl wrote:I think you should listen to it before you judge it and call it mediocre...
I couldn't of said it better. 8) Mike is beyond a great musician and the album puts an interesting twist on Steve's music.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Bono

I must admit I have mixed feelings about this...although I am very eager to hear Vais song given the piano treatment...I can't help but feel it won't sound as good without Steve and the band playing it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I doubt I'll enjoy any of the songs as much as the originals. Having said that, I'll still buy it and count down the days to its release 8)
sonny sixshooter

Bono wrote:I must admit I have mixed feelings about this...although I am very eager to hear Vais song given the piano treatment...I can't help but feel it won't sound as good without Steve and the band playing it. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I doubt I'll enjoy any of the songs as much as the originals. Having said that, I'll still buy it and count down the days to its release 8)
To some extent I understand your feelings. However, after seeing the Metrople show in Holland, I have no objection about other people doing Vai songs! Especially since it's Mike Keneally!

- Casper
Revontulet777

Hey Guys, in MKtrading.com (Mike Keneally Show Trading) I found a live piano version of Salamanders In The Sun by Mike

enjoy it!

http://www.mktrading.org/mp3/19980612/Salamanders.mp3
Mr. Canadian

I think this is gonna be the best archives disc so far. I haven't been thrilled as of yet with the box to tell you the truth.
Sliver

well, maybe what I failed to express was how much of a landmark it could have been if only Steve had played on it.

Without him, it isn't as important in comparison.
Mr. Canadian

Sliver wrote:well, maybe what I failed to express was how much of a landmark it could have been if only Steve had played on it.

Just because Steve doesn't play on it doesn't mean it's not gonna be any good. Steve's a composer too. And think of this recording as a pianist playing Steve's compositions solo piano. It highlights not only Steve's compositions in a different context, stripped down in a sense, but it also will show Mike's ability to play them and interpret them. To me, it's interesting and exciting to hear this. Fresh & different, for Vai. But not a new concept. Pianists have always interpreted music solo like this. Look at Glen Gould, Keith Jarrett or some of the other remarkable pianists out there playing songs that they enjoy and putting there unique stamps on the forms. Also, on the other end, there are countless examples of where the composers didn't perform on all their stuff either and the music was incredible regardless. This disc is like a composer/pianist focus type of thing. I guess it's different for those who 'only' wanna hear Steve play guitar all the time. Just because he's not performing on this disc shouldn't detract from it. The music will speak for itself.
EyE

Sliver wrote:well, maybe what I failed to express was how much of a landmark it could have been if only Steve had played on it.

COME ON!!!!!!!! You gotta be kidding!!!!!!! Mike Keneally is a BRILLIANT MUSICIAN! I've got the cd of John P with Jordan R also, it' a great cd. But i think the Vai "PIANO" reductions will be different from that. The intension behind this cd isn't the guitar but totaly focused on the PIANO.

"Without him, it isn't as important in comparison." I think you missed it! It is his music so he'll be all over it. You should be more open for projects like these.
Zongadude

Just read the news, oh boy !
I've been waiting for this release for ages ! :D And now I read that this is just volume 1 ?

SO there will be a volume 2 ? WOOOOOOHOOOOOO ! :) :) :P :P 8)

(Btw, Mike is a freakin' genius and a very nice person, musician, whatever. ok ?)

:!:
shacks

Vai.com have just sent me a mail saying the release month is November.

'Pre-order and sound samples coming soon'

shacks
Last edited by shacks on Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

Mike Keneally is a genius. I can't wait for that album!
tmwc

My Credit card is ready and waiting!