how good a pianist is Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
ax murderer

in the cover sleeve for 'the infinite steve vai....' for fire garden suite, it lists mike mangini on drums, and steve vai: everything else. some of the piano parts in that piece are truly awesome (from what i can tell, i don't actually play, but it sounds great) i was just wondering if these parts actually are as difficult to play as they sound, and whether steve actually played them!
Naffis-kun

Yeah. You´re right.
The fact is that every really good musician is able to play many different instruments.
Or that´s how I think it is.
For example, my music teacher plays mostly piano but he´s also a very good guitarist, a drummer, a singer...
LucySorets

Steve does not play that piano

See http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6362
ax murderer

yeah, i can play guitar, bass, although i'm apparently a guitarists-bassist ie. i break into billy sheehan style solos all the time, and i'm only really good when i play with a pick. ah well. i play drums and sing too. i'll probably teach myself piano this year as well. i'm kind of glad it's not steve that plays that, 'cos that really WOULD be unfeasable (as if his guitar playing isn't). it sounds really good for a computer playback though. he's quite a good producer, that Vai bloke, isn't he?
Corrado

Something i know about Steve and piano:

About the piano part of "Fire garden suite"... Steve asked Chick Corea to play it, but there was no chance... so he used his self-made sinthesizer part.

Zappa told many times to the young Steve to learn playing piano because it helps very much during the composition phase.

In the show in Roma (Italy) during the Ultrazone Tour, Steve took the 3-neck-heart guitar and started playing the intro improvisation for "Fever dream", but then his guitar strap got broken for the guitar's weight.... while Thomas was changing it, Steve went to Mike Keneally's keyboards and played the piano melody of "Principessa"... which has been recorded the following day in Modena.

Corrado.
GuitarStrings

If I am not wrong Steve played some accordion when he was very very young.

As a pianist, Steve said that he couldn't play even one complete song.
I think he is good doing some orchestration on the keyboard etc..
LozMan

I have to say that I agree with Frank. From personal experience, composition is so much easier when I'm sitting at a keyboard, because the cadences and whatnot are easier to recognise. It also helps that the piano is possibly the most versitile instrument ever. I have just sat my Grade 6 piano exam (curses!) and although it was a headmelter, I am glad that I've continued with it for so long, as I don't think I could have got any marks in my GCSE compositions at all without it.
Go learn the piano, you'll thank yourself
mobiusjet

dont forget his stint in high school, as a tuba player.. (btw low-brass rocks) but yes i agree that most musicians play many instruments.. lets see i play guitar, bass, cello, tuba, baritone. trumpet, french horn, saxophone, flute, drums (kit and military style snare) and sing as well... (busy child-hood in cadet music camps etc.) but i play them all from time-to-time at the local high-school.. its aweseom they let me walk right in and jam with them on their stuff... but then. i AM alumni.. got a bit of a rep ;P
gogo

Of course steve plays piano, I mean he is not Mike Keneally but steve wrote all his songs and a lot of steve songs have piano