Why must it be so loud?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Ibanezwizard

Hi,

The last Vai gig i went to (Alive..) UK tour 2001, my ears rung for about 24 hours afterwards and I stood (like a dick!) with my fingers in my ears to make it bearable. Im not a wuss, ive been to many loud concerts from Metallica, DT, Satriani, Foo fighters etc. But that gig at the Apollo was just wrong, I swear you could feel the hall resonate on some notes!

This time im wearing earplugs-proper high quality ones. I suggest others do the same.

Mark
Petie

I agree, both of the Vai gigs I've been to ripped my head off with excessive volume. In an outdoor gig it would be more forgivable but these were in an average-sized club and it's just not necessary or comfortable. It's a bit disappointing to pay so much for a ticket then have to squash out most of the definition and clarity with earplugs.
Jka
Newcomer

In Finland G3-tour sound was Almost perfect for me(with earplugs). It wasn't too loud at all but Billys bass volume was too low during his solos.
Ibanezwizard

Hey Petie,
It's a bit disappointing to pay so much for a ticket then have to squash out most of the definition and clarity with earplugs.
You can buy 'musicians' earplugs which are designed to drop the volume. I have some which are pretty cool. All the definition is there (its not muddy), just reduced volume.

Planet waves make really cheap ones (about $3) which reduce the sound by 20db and are for musicians.

Mark
trev

i just dont understand how the sound men cant cop on to it like, they can be trained all they like but if they cant do a simple thing like turn it down their not worth a fuckin slap it really gets to me
soron
Newcomer

Just attended the concert here in Oslo, Norway.

Damn, I've been to concerts with G3 before (smaller locations), but never have I heard the sound as loud/distorted as now.

This time they played in Oslo Konserthus (Concert Hall), quite a suprise for rock gigs like this.. Robert Fripp was the only one who had the sound adjusted to these sourroundings.

Bet the sound engineers of Vai and Satriani (or all of the bunch) are f....n' deaf.. and they took the solos so far, as it got to be annoying (the volume contributed to this).

Thank God we had a 20minute break half the way... :x
Pro-string strummer

...uh... yeah i totally agree that the volume is too low TURN IT UP... :P :lol: 8)
mrblack

thanks for the warning...i'm bringin' my plugs...my girlfriend's too! 8)

protect your ears...they are not invincible!
phil27

Jka wrote:In Finland G3-tour sound was Almost perfect for me(with earplugs). It wasn't too loud at all but Billys bass volume was too low during his solos.
When I saw Billy with Mr Big a few years ago his solo sound was too low then.
guyzif

Iv'e never been to a gig that loud, I saw DT this year and it was so loud but perfect.
mobiusjet

well... ive never been to vai concert or a joe one for that matter... but i just put on an outdoor show on the waterfront last week..(all-ages free cover etc..) and DAMN we had noise complaints from across the harbour (not kidding) a mile away and had to shut down.. THATS loud fun show though.. i had some MASSIVE harmonics mwahaahaha gotta love 800 watt PA systems (we had 3 of em)
peace out...
PS btw... the ticket for noise pollution for that show which had 18 bands playin... 15000 dollars.. canadian so like... 10000 us
guyzif

Sounded like fun.
zappadons

Well I was at the G3 gig in Glasgow and the sound was perfect.
Vaiper

hurt a lil when satch hit the high notes though lol
Pro-string strummer

I think the rubber ducky should fly NORTH rather than flying south, but what about the SEAGUL!!!