Why must it be so loud?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Ivar

I've read the last reviews of the new G3 tour and almost everyone has something to say about the volume.

Is there a good reason why this show must be so loud?

p.s.
I strongley suggest to put the volume a couple of notches down if there is no good reason.
william pacheco
Newcomer

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!!! thats crazy talk :shock:
Ivar

Believe me, I'm not the one that complains easy when it's about sound volume, but the last show (G2,5 Lichtenvoorde) Mr. Satriani's sound was to loud. It actually hurt my ears, at some high notes I thought my eardrums would explode.
NatiFable

Joe was to loud? Wow, usually it's Steve that likes to collapse people's skulls! :D

peace and light
Magmas

Man if you think that is loud... I saw the smashing pumpkins at their second to last show (their last big show) at the united center in chicago, and it was so loud that everything was distorting, i mean vocals and drums and everything, but the PA was not distorting, my ears were! Plus, I was 3 rows from the very back! I saw Tool a bit later and they played at about half that volume. Now THAT was excessive. I bet the people that brought earplugs got a great show though!
Vegas_Blues

I saw Fates Warning, Dream Theater and Queensryche at the Joint here in Las Vegas, and it was the loudest show Ive ever been to :o

Whel Labrie or Tate would scream a high note, my ears would distort, owwwwww! And on really low notes that Myung hit, it was so loud and so deep that it vibrated my whole body and made me dizzy.

The Hard Rock has always been known for it's obnoxious sound system though...........*cleans out his ears*

Here, G3 was at the HOB and sounded perfect.

Vegas_Blues
tim_knox

yah i went to G3 this year and i thought everyone's was just a little too loud i mean i love rocking out, but you can still do that with the volume turned a little lower so i could hear all the technicality and virtuosity!!! During the jam i was sooo dead and drained that i couldn't even enjoy it, which stinks because i looooove Vai and it was the first time i saw him live.

I saw Eric Johnson at the Paradise in Boston and his volume was perfecto, exactly how i wish every show was, loud enough but yet not toooo loud!!! awsome show!!!
Massacre

Man! That's the whole point is to have it loud. If you don't you will hear the crowd. :roll:
Massacre

Vegas_Blues wrote:I saw Fates Warning, Dream Theater and Queensryche at the Joint here in Las Vegas, and it was the loudest show Ive ever been to :o

Whel Labrie or Tate would scream a high note, my ears would distort, owwwwww! And on really low notes that Myung hit, it was so loud and so deep that it vibrated my whole body and made me dizzy.

The Hard Rock has always been known for it's obnoxious sound system though...........*cleans out his ears*

Here, G3 was at the HOB and sounded perfect.

Vegas_Blues
Yeah man I hear ya there, when David Lee Roth played at the Joint, My ears were killing me.
tim_knox

you can have it loud enough to not hear the crowd but not THAT loud.
tim_knox

i love loud shows i have gone to a bunch but that was a show that i wanted to be able to heard EVERYTHING, i dont know
burnrate

Steve, Joe and company play mostly for musicians, so I would be surprised that they are playing that loud. Musicians tend to be pretty sensitive about their hearing, so I'm surprised that it was that loud.

David Lee Roth? Sure, why not? Steve Vai ... probably not.
sonny sixshooter

I'm not a musician and trust me, it is loud!
trev

i have the same problem every concert iv gone to bar one or two the sound has been way too loud it really really annoys me though coz its to the point where u cant hear it and it hurts, like come on you fookin sound men yer gettin paid for a reason.
it really really pisses me off i pay money to hear a show only to find its so loud that i cant hear a thing its ridiculous!
7string

Hi,

what I think is that really feeling the music is the best way to get it.
I mean I like it when I feel those bass and midsounds vibrating in my body, you know? 8)
The main problem is that they put the high tones so loud that it squeezes your ears and you think they will explode. So only the loudness of the high tones is much too much.
Only a sound with much bass and much high isn't very comfortable to listen at.
So Mister soundtechs, pls put those high eq. knobs a bit counter clockwise and it will be OK!
Listen to the music, Even better: Feel the music, but do not squeeze it!

Carl 8)