Earplugs

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
zappadons

Hi

I am attending the G3 shows in Glasgow and London.

I heard alot of reviews saying that the sound was way to loud.

What I want to ask is about ear plugs. Are the necassary? I have been to a heap of concerts and have never once worn ear plugs.

I saw Satch in Glasgow on his Joe Satriani tour (circa 1995) and didnt wear any ear plugs. I havent seen Steve live yet (cant wait) but loads of folk are saying the ear plugs are needed.

I feel this might spoil the experience.

Can you give me advice?
shacks

I have been to many a live rawwk show over the years and I have found recently I have started to suffer from early signs of tinnitus which is a constant buzzing in the ears. I think using those little spongy plugs is a good idea to cut out the piercing sounds which makes you feel as though your ear drums are going to explode. Using them certainly wont affect the overall sound and your enjoyment of the show. Iam sure there will be people out there that say ''dont be a puff and go without''. When I was younger I wouldent have ever dreamt of using them but as I get older I realise things like good hearing is pretty important to me!!!! :lol:

shacks

PS enjoy the shows!
Last edited by shacks on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ds23pallas

I've seen many rock/metal bands over the years and I can safely say that none of them were anywhere near as Vai was on the S&R tour :-(

Everyone I've spoken to who was at that gig said that it was the loudest they've ever been too. Maybe that was a one off but I'll certainly be taking my earplugs to G3.

Joe Satch was nowhere near as loud the last time I saw him (Joe Satriani album tour) although to be fair I was sitting directly in front of the PA stack for Vai..
GuitarStrings

Hey I've found this very cool company which makes Professional Earplugs... check it out:
www.howardleight.com

What? no no I don't work for the company. LOL
shacks

Thanks I already have some on order! :lol:

shacks
sonny sixshooter

Ten years ago I was too cool to wear earplugs, now I have tinnitus. Not much but it's there. Sometimes I have to use them at private parties as well. Not cool.
So kids, wear earplugs!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I would strongly suggest you wear them.

Mikey
vai.com
burnrate

At the very least, take the ear plugs with you so that you have a choice. Start the concert with them in, take them out for a song and see what it's like. If it's uncomfortable, you're damaging your ears.

There are lots of variables (type of room, quality of sound guys, etc), but I often find that concerts actually sound better with ear plugs. Sure, you loose some of the high end, but you also loose a lot of the white noise as well.

It's like a less evil version of smoking -- it's a pretty high price to pay for being 'cool'.
Moderator777

You never know what you're going to hear. Volumes vary from venue to venue. My advice is ALWAYS bring earplugs to ANY show. I keep a pair of earplugs (in a small plastic tube) attached to my keychain in case I need them unexpectedly. When I attend a concert I suspect may be loud, I bring many inexpensive earplugs to distribute to people around me. They will thank you and many times buy you a beer for being so nice. ;)

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
zappadons

Well i went to the Glasfgow and London shows and dint wear them

I thought the sound at Clyde Auditorium was perfect.

RAH is a different matter, :roll:
slater

I've been to a lot of rock concerts and never wore earplugs. In looking back over all the concerts I've been to (well over a 100), I can count on one hand the concerts I thought sounded exceptionally well for the volume the band was playing at. Unfortunately, G3 (in a small outdoor amphitheater) was not one of them.

I love it loud, but didn't realize until much later that earplugs help in hearing all the notes being played as well as protection. I recommend you bring some.

Slater
Big Bad Bill

Why don't they just turn it down? Ear-bleeding volume is just completely unnecessary and the delicate mechanisms of the ear simply can't handle it. Ear plugs are a great idea-I always use them even in noisey pubs/clubs. But no matter how good they claim to be (ie. attenuating all frequencies equally which is impossible) you're still putting something between your ear drum and the vibrating air, so it's bound to change the way things sound. Thus the best option is for the sound engineer to turn it down.

High volume is usually a sign that the band are less that confident of their musicianship-like distortion it can hide lots of sloppy playing. So why on earth are guitar demons like Vai, Satch and Yngwie so loud? I suspect it's just the way the sound engineers have been taught or think we, the audience, want it. When I saw Vai sound checking in Manchester, he didn't actually step off the stage into the auditorium to hear the sound pressure levels, so perhaps he's unaware of it.

Having said all that, Vai and Satch aren't that loud compared to most other bands. Maybe one day each seat at a concert will have it's own headphones and EQ so you can adjust the sound to your preferences................
The Eterna Player

Satch in switzerland G3 was just too loud, extremely loud, I felt like my head was going to explode, I got the ear plug but I Didn´t use them , shame on me. I would use it the next time.
Plook

There is a limit to having it "In your face" and "blood dripping down your earlobes" The only concert I've been to that was at a really tolerable level was at Sting at the Pacific Coluseum in 93. Everything else is just way too loud. That actually was the best sounding concert I've been to.

I ALWAYS wear plugs to concerts, without exception.

I'm going to a drum clinic on Monday with Kenny Aronoff and I'm gonna bring my earmuff hearing protection. I honestly think it sounds better with them.
gogo

I never heard that before