VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:20 pm 

on alive in an ultra world Disc 2...what does the french guy say...anyone have a translation????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:05 pm 

Why don't we ask the man himself, John...
John, what did Steve give you to read???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:37 pm 

i really want to know.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:22 pm 

UHM.. we KNOW you really want to know.. and if you're patient.. THEN HE WILL TELL YOU...

Just wait until John sees this, and he'll reply. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:02 pm 

this was discussed a while ago on Jemsite...I hope it's okay to link to there...

Here is page two of the AIAUW thread with people discussing thought about the CD when it first came out. On Page 2, user WickedBlade loosely translates http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... c&start=35

On page three, John puts in his .02 http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... c&start=70

hope this helps
~Kenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:03 am 

Hey!
It's a poem Steve wrote about a day he spent in Paris with Pia while on a promo trip. Here's the story more in detail: http://www.vai.com/FanForum/answers_07.html
I've heard both really positive and negative comments about it. The thing is, it was supposed to sound a little funny and cheesy (I was even suggested by Phil to show up on stage with a bottle of wine and a baguette), I did my best but I'm not an orator or anything, so please be indulgent! lol

Here's the text:

Je n'oublierai jamais ces jours merveilleux, qui sont si clairs dans mon coeur et ma mémoire.
Les choses simples semblaient si profondes.
Puis il y a cette photo : le soleil brille au dessus de la Seine, le ciel rempli de couleurs que des artistes ont tentés de capturer pendant des siècles.
Tu es debout sur le pont ; la tour Eiffel à ta gauche fait figure d'une vieille amie, parlant des amoureux avec lesquels elle a posé dans le passé.
Cette ville appelle le respect. Elle a brillé au fil du temps, avec ses victoires.
La richesse de son art et de sa culture scintillent dans nos yeux heureux, pendant que nous mémorisons les bruits et les saveurs des rues piétonnes
Et si jamais nous ne pouvons plus nous voir et nous embrasser dans la magie de cette ville, la mélodie ne changera jamais et me rappellera toujours Paris avec toi.

and in english:

I'll never forget those wonderful days, that are so clear in my heart and my mind. The simple things seemed so profound.
There is that photo: the sun is shining above the Seine, the sky filled with colors that artists tried to capture for centuries. You are standing on the bridge. The Eiffel Tower on your left is like an old friend, talking about the lovers it has posed with in the past.
Beautiful city that calls for respect and admiration. It stood the test of time, throughout its victories. The richness of its art and culture reflect in our delighted eyes as we try and memorize the noises and smells of the walking streets.
And if we don't get to meet and kiss again in the magic of this city, the melody will never change, and will always remind me of Paris with you.

Note: I didn't keep a copy of the original text, so I translated it back from french to english. Subsequently some parts are very likely to be different than the original!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:46 am 

That's so interesting that the recitation was supposed to sound "funny and cheesy!" (Rather Zappaesque.) I love that song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:12 am 

Hmm, actually I screwed that up, cheesy is definitely not the right way to formulate it. It's a romatic text, and the song is romantic, but I was also told by Phil and Mike K. to make it kinda humorous, but still sweet, fluid, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:30 pm 

As Vai would say its 'sticky sweet'.