Any other Jibboom contestants out there?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Jehle
Newcomer

Waaaay back a few years ago, Steve had a contest where about 160 odd guitarists on Tonos.com soloed over the backing track to Jibboom. I entered, sucked, and lost, but it was a lot of fun and gave me a kick start in recording again.

Anyone else out there a Jibboomer?
Guitar Wizard

Yep,

It was only 2 years ago I believe... 2001...seems longer I guess. I did a version. I didn't win though. I really wanted that guitar. :evil: I need a new guitar. We started an MP3.com station and I put a few versions on the station.

STEVE VAI'S Guitar Apprentices Radio

http://www.mp3.com/stations/stevevaisguitar

On www.vai.com, they say stay tuned for another contest like the Tonos JIBBOOM thing. That will be cool. Can't wait. I hope there is a chance to win another guitar!

:)
5thD

Yep, Michael Lee Hill here, I'm the guy who won that :-)

I remember the first time hearing Steve play, I was around 15,16 at the time, Guitar Player Magazine had these little pull out plastic records things and I remember they featured Vai's "The Attitude Song", Well that was it! I have been a Vai fan ever since.

So to get to actually meet him him like that, at a G3 show to boot just still blows my mind. It felt like I was on an episode of Fantasy Island or something. Still does.

I do have to say, There were some monster guitar players that entered that contest, after listening to a few of the entries, I really felt like I didn't have a shot in hell at winning it, so I was as shocked as anybody.
Guitar Wizard

Hey Michael

Congrats on the win! Good for you! I have a couple of questions for you though.

- How is the guitar? Was it an anniversary issue? Do you still play it? Did they ship it to you? Did you have to pay for anything like the shipping and handling?

- Also, did you get the free one on one lesson with Steve Vai? What did he "teach" you?

Congrats again. (Even though I am soooooooooo jelous :( )
Junebughunter

Wow that's awesome dude...I can't believe that...PLEASE tell us the story!

The week I would have recorded it my puter crashed so I couldn't enter. But I would not have won anyway
5thD

How is the guitar?
It's awesome! I love it, It's my most prized possession.

Was it an anniversary issue?
No, it's the black bumpy Jem with the mirror pickguard, Breed pickup's, Steve signed it on the back of the headstock "To Michael Lee, Steve Vai". I've had a layer of clear shot over the Signature so it's there for good!

Do you still play it?
Oh Ya! It's actually one of my two favorite guitars along with this guitar Pawar Guitars built for me, after winning the contest they offered me an endorsement so I played one and fell in love! The Jem is like a Lamborghini, It's just built for speed, the Tones as well as the neck & action, the Pawar a Lexus with 20 great vintage spanky tones.

Did they ship it to you? Yes

Did you have to pay for anything like the shipping and handling? No

Also, did you get the free one on one lesson with Steve Vai? What did he "teach" you? This is going to sound so stupid that I almost don't want to repeat it but you asked, Steve said "So there was a lesson or something involved with this contest?" I said ya, I think so, Steve then said "I hate to tell you this but I don't think I can teach you anything, how would you like to just talk for a while?" I said Uh, That would be great :-)

Now I have to say, that worked out so well because I'm totally a self taught player and I'm totally theory illiterate, I was sort of stressing over the whole lesson thing, I was thinking it would take me a Month of Sundays for Vai to show me just one of his songs, if I could even play it. What was I possibly going to learn in a 20 min. lesson?

I wished I could just talk with him, pick his brain, but I thought what kind of a dick would I be if I walked in there and said "Ah, Ya know what, I don't want a lesson" so my plan was just to sit there and smile and repeatedly say "I'll never be able to play that",

it kinda all worked out :-)

Congrats again. (Even though I am soooooooooo jelous )
Thank You
5thD

Junebughunter - Wow that's awesome dude...I can't believe that...PLEASE tell us the story!

Ah what the hell, This is out of my own Journal, It's a pretty cool story for Vai fans....

After the Vai contest Mp3 file had finished downloading, I transferred the tracks to my ADAT/my home studio and as I was listening to Vai's backing tracks, it occurred to me that a guitar riff I had just wrote days earlier seems like it should fit well, I fired up my guitar amp and threw a microphone in front of the speaker, I just had to hear if my guitar part would fit over Vai's tracks! It fit perfectly! I was so inspired by what I heard, I thought, "I am going to record some solo's!" The solos were recorded on the 1st take, one pass through. To say this whole session seemed inspired would be an understatement, I listened back to the song, I thought to myself "Well, that's it!" I sent in my version of Vai's "Jibboom" for the contest the same night, at about 5:00 the same morning.

I have to say my heart sank when I learned that hundred's of guitarists had entered the contest, and you could even listen to all the entries online! It became clear how many great players were out there! I would consider myself lucky if I even placed as a runner-up. The entries were narrowed down to the top 10 and there it was! I made it into the top 10!

The entries were then narrowed down to the top 3, I could hardly bring myself to look and see if I had made it, I looked and to my surprise, there was my name again!

There was only one more step and that was the announcement of the grand prizewinner and that would be announced on March 15, 2001. Well, the 15th came and went and there was no announcement!

I decided I should call Tonos on the 17th and it was then that I found out I was the Grand Prize Winner!

As you can imagine, I could hardly contain myslf, it worked out that I would be flown to meet Steve Vai at a G3 show on July 8th, 2001.

I arrived at the concert venue around 12:30 in the afternoon, I met Vai's tour manager and rhythm guitarist Dave Weiner shortly after. Dave told me Steve would not be there until around 6:00. Seemed like I had all day to just hang out! I have to say it felt a little strange and surreal being there all by myself.

The thought of meeting Steve Vai was strange to me. 1st of all, it was a trip to Vai's website that began a spiritual awakening for me (For Real) and now I was being flown to meet the man himself. 2nd of all, I had begun to understand that there were many different level of souls here on Earth and that there are some very advanced beings that are incarnate here as beacons of light to those still in darkness. I am still convinced to this day that Steve Vai is one of these beings.

I had full access to anywhere I wanted to go at the show except for the dressing rooms; the food catering room quickly became my favorite place :-) Imagine my surprise as I was grabbing a sandwich to see Billy Sheehan, the world-renowned bass player and founder of one of my favorite bands Mr. Big, standing right next to me! Billy was playing bass for Steve Vai on this tour. I remember, thinking to myself, this is too cool!

As 6:00 grew closer & closer, I became more & more anxious. Shortly before 6:00, Dave Weiner let me know that Steve was in the house and that our meeting would be held in Vai's dressing room, Dave said he would come to get me as soon as Steve was ready. I began to just sit and meditate in an attempt to calm myself, 5 minutes or so had passed which seemed like an eternity when Dave came out and said "Well Michael, you ready?"

Dave walked me to Steve Vai's dressing room and when I entered I noticed Steve was not there yet. The dressing rooms size blew my mind. it was huge! It had a couch, with two Victorian style chairs at either end. I took a seat in one of these chairs. Since Dave and I were the only ones there at the moment, I took the opportunity to look around the room, there was a countertop that wrapped around the other three walls and this countertop was almost completely filled with lunchmeats, breads, vegetables, and every type of cheese.

A couple of minutes had passed when Steve walked in the room, and right past me! He was talking on a cell phone and from his angle I don't think he could see I was in sitting in the chair right behind him. He continued talking for a minute or so and all I could think was Oh my God, That is Steve Vai!

When he was finished talking, Steve turned and seen me sitting in the chair, he said, "Michael, how are you?" Well, let me tell you, I thought I would be beyond nervous but he had a way about him that made me feel comfortable and at ease.

Steve walked over and sat down on the couch. We talked for 45 minutes or so! One thing that shocked me about Steve was how humble he was, after seeing him perform countless times and from his performance in the movie "Crossroads", I had constructed a mental image of Steve Vai as being somewhat cocky and arrogant, in a Sting (the singer, not the wrestler) kind of way. Nothing could have been further from the truth. Steve Vai was genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met.

We talked about a wide range of subjects such as recording techniques, his days with David Lee Roth, other musicians we both admired, but the thing that really blew my mind was how complimentary he was of my playing! He told me that what I had done "Blew him away"! I just about had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! He added "A lot of really great players had entered the contest" but he felt my version of Jibboom was the most creative! He even gave me permission to use my contest version of "Jibboom" on my new CD!

One of the highlight's from my meeting with Steve was when I asked him how he played the riff for "Big Trouble" from the DLR era, Steve says "Let me show you" and he goes and grabs his guitar and plays it for me! So, I'm sitting there in a chair thinking....Steve Vai is jamming for me in his dressing room?

Afterwords Steve said he thought it was odd that I asked about that song in particular because he had just been recently thinking about how much fun that song was to play live! I also remember Steve saying that tune had a "Slinky" vibe about it, I said ya, I love smokey, bluesy, riffs & grooves like that, Steve goes, "Ya Slinky!"

I also remember Steve saying DLR would make him turn up his amp so loud it would actually scare you when he first hit a note, and he said DLR wanted it even louder! Billy Sheehan added "Ya, That was the only tour I've ever worn ear protection on!"

I watched two thirds of the show from the soundboard; I watched the remainder of the show from the side of the stage! After the show, I spoke briefly with Steve again and thanked him for everything, had my picture taken with him and that was that!
Last edited by 5thD on Wed May 07, 2003 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junebughunter

Wow, that is just amazing...I wish I where you, congrats man, even though that was a couple years ago...!!!

I am almost speechless after reading that story, that is just incredible...great story
5thD

Anyhow, If you want to check out the Website it's WWW.Michaelleehill.com

One last thing, Mike Keneally and Rich Pike are co-hosting a new Radio Show called None Radio (WWW.Noneradio.com), check out the playlist....There spinning one of my tunes, That is too cool!

I'll keep you posted on any developments. Who would have ever thunk it?
Last edited by 5thD on Mon May 12, 2003 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
templing

blah blah lol i hear this story every saturday from mike lol jk jk mikes a great guy maybe someday he'll let me use his studio lol. he forced me to buy a jem vsbl too jk jk hi mike mark :lol:
5thD

Mark! What's up, Fancy meeting you here?

Mark & I teach at the same music store, he just bought a killer new Jem and had the balls to blame it on me. Does your wife know you bought the Jem yet? :-)
5thD

the "Jibboom" contest, I met this one guy that was a finalist, he's the guy that I thought was going to win for sure. Brian Rodgers, I talked with him a few times afterwords and he sent me his version as a Mp3, It's smoking. I still listen to it often.

Another dude that I thought might take it was that guy from Jemsite site....I think?, Bob Oakwood was that his name?, anyhow, I thought he was awesome.
Junebughunter

Anyone have any links to the Jibboom covers/solos (what would I call them?), I would really like to hear some of them
Drew

5thD wrote: Another dude that I thought might take it was that guy from Jemsite site....I think?, Bob Oakwood was that his name?, anyhow, I thought he was awesome.
Yeah, the guy posts over at jemsite... his version kills. I haven't heard your version yet- is it available anywhere? I'd be curious to see how good a solo i have to cut to have someone hand me a jem in return. ;)

-D
5thD

Drew- I haven't heard your version yet- is it available anywhere?

Yep- it's available on my new CD Frozen Thought which can be checked out here WWW.Frozenthought.com

Or if you want, leave me a personal message with your E-mail address and I'll send you the Mp3.