Pig.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Psychlone

Oh, one last thing... at the end of it, just before he screams "I'll save you!", you can hear Devin babbling something along the lines of "I won't let anyone hurt you... I won't..."

Say, this would make a great movie. "A Boy and His Pig"... I can just see it on the Disney channel. Kind of like a twisted "Babe". :twisted:
davester1234

How do you guys think this fits in to the context of the album?

Everything seems to have a grand purpose. What do you think Steve's ultimate purpose was with this song?
Ryan Layton
Banned

maybe how love can make you kind of crazy. i guess it could be looked at as what drives people to rape people.
davester1234

hmmm. If so, maybe my 'carnal sexuality' idea is not as off target as I thought
Logic

Mikey wrote: Hmm.. I'm starting to sound like "The Architect"...

Ergo... concordantly.. I digress...

Mikey :D
vai.com
One of the kewlest monologues-dissertations, I have had the fortune of listening to.

Yours in fellowship.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ryan Layton wrote:maybe how love can make you kind of crazy. i guess it could be looked at as what drives people to rape people.
Hmm, I don't know but I'm not sure if rape is the result of love to the point of crazyness?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Some more lyrics to discuss:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5473

Mikey
vai.com
Ryan Layton
Banned

Ryan Layton wrote:
maybe how love can make you kind of crazy. i guess it could be looked at as what drives people to rape people.

Hmm, I don't know but I'm not sure if rape is the result of love to the point of crazyness?
it could be something along those lines. something maybe like lust, not really love?

the boy loved his pig and didn't want anyone to kill it. he wanted to protect it from the other people. he eventually figured that the only way he could save the pig from the other people would be to kill it himself. that way he got what he wanted.... the pig didn't die at the hands of the other people.

if someone (someone as crazy as the boy in the story) lusts over someone then they want the person to be theirs. they don't want anyone else being with that person. i guess they could eventually be driven kinda mad by all this and think rape is rational and a good way to get what they want.

it kinda fits. it was the first thing that came to mind really.
V41

Kind of like Charlotte's Web, in a sense...

We must remember that "lust" does not necessarily always have to do with sexuality; it is wanting something too much. In this case, the boy wants his pig too much. He obviously cares for it; if it's lust, then it is a care that is dangerous to his health/being. He doesn't have anything else, and when he finds out they want to eat the pig, he kills it himself.

Kind of like a father killing his son so he can't be drafted, in a sense.

I'm glad you guys got so into this. I was away from the boards for a couple days or so and now there are like, 20+ replies. I'm delighted. :D

Why not analyze the meaning behind the entire album?

Take "An Earth Dweller's Return," for example. Steve seems to have an affinity for aliens and the occult--this probably has to do with that. Any comments?

"Here & Now" seems a lot less... I don't know, 'in depth' than the other songs with lyrics. It seems kind of pop'ish, even, like another version of Van Halen's "Right now." Just telling people to get in the moment and do something. I may be wrong...

"In My Dreams With You" seems to me to be about a male who desperately wants sexual relations with a female; the whimpering/breathing at the beginning of the song seems to illustrate that desire. He can't have her, so he illustrates what he wants in fantasies. Again, any comments?

"Still my Bleeding Heart." I don't know about this one; someone said it was about someone? He says "like a soldier," so it probably isn't actually a soldier... hm.

"Sex & Religion." Wee. Here's a quote I affiliate with this song; "Let your religion be less of a doctrine, and more of a love affair." I forget who said it.

"Dirty Black Hole." Like Pig, I'm not sure what this one is about. Seems like... escaping the things or thing that make us weaker/degrade our values... hm. I don't know, though.

"Touching Tongues." Just an awesome instrumental, IMO.

"State of Grace." This always makes me think of the Buddhist monk and quotation on the back of the instructions.

"Survive," uh... this one's about... surviving?

"Pig" has been discussed. Not to say we should stop discussing it.

"The Road to Mt. Calvary." Somethin' to do with Jesus.

"Deep Down into the Pain." This would take me a while to type out and I'm sort of in a rush... uh. What do you guys make of this one?

"Rescue Me or Bury Me." My favorite on the CD... but... what is this about, exactly?

Hope that isn't too much topic content for one thread. :oops:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

By all means discuss the lyrics - but create a new thread for each :)

Keep things easier to read and respond to :)

Mikey
vai.com
Matwey

V41 wrote:"Rescue Me or Bury Me." My favorite on the CD... but... what is this about, exactly?
It seems to me that this song possibly represents the response of(don't laugh) the animal from the song "Pig" if it could think the way humans do and explain it in the form of speech. ;) (..though not sure if this animal could pull out such a great guitar solo Steve did! :lol:)

My favorite on "S&R" too. :)
guyzif

Mikey wrote:Steve and I were talking about interpreting lyrics the other night. I suggested that one's interpretation of art says more about the listener/viewer than it does about the artist.

Listening to Steve's music is like an aural Rorschach test. :)

There are some goodies on the new record too ;)

Mikey
vai.com
Stop doing that you tease :wink:

As for pig I never really got it, now it's so much clearer. Even though it's my least favourite song i'l go back and heve an other listen to it.
Alexander Kinnaird

Did you know that this song is impossible to play? It was put together on computer because of the time changes.
davester1234

Alexander Kinnaird wrote:Did you know that this song is impossible to play? It was put together on computer because of the time changes.
u can play it, its just that your timing may be slightly off at parts. I could totally be wrong, but if I remember, steve was refering to the drums when he said that. I don't specifically recall though :)
olldigitall

I always wished that Steve would write more literature (i.e., short stories, poetry, maybe even a novel, etc.) because his imagination is absolutely amazing AND he is very good about portraying said ideas.