Pig.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
V41

Is this song actually about a Pig, or is it about something/someone else?

What do you guys think?
davester1234

Its about being a PIG :wink:
Psychlone

I think this song might actually be about someone who is carnally desirous of a pig. Or am I way off base?

"Stain my tongue with your mess..."
"Sicker than I've ever been when I see myself inside of you..."
"Those filthy little lovers...piggy pigs!"

Either way, it's really, really... just... whoah. This song is like being slathered in mud.
davester1234

Psychlone wrote:I think this song might actually be about someone who is carnally desirous of a pig. Or am I way off base?

"Stain my tongue with your mess..."
"Sicker than I've ever been when I see myself inside of you..."
"Those filthy little lovers...piggy pigs!"

Either way, it's really, really... just... whoah. This song is like being slathered in mud.
desirous of a pig?? You mean they 'want' the animal itself sexually? hehe, maybe...remember steves a vegetarian LOL!

My take is that its about unleasing the carnal sexuality we all have within us with our mate. Its about letting go of everything else, and being a porker in the sack. :)

Of course, that's all in the context of the "sex and religion" album as a whole, in which Steve's finding the balance between two very important things: sex and religion. For all I know, I could be WAYYY wrong. Steve has a really creative mind. Sometimes its hard for me to keep up. :)
Last edited by davester1234 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lycanthrope

this is one song im actually not too fond of - i love that album, but this song doesn't do it for me.

haha... i know - random opinion - who needs it ? :)

yon.
Alexander Kinnaird

"Pig" is a story about a boy who is ostracised by his peers and whose isolation from society leads him to develop a closeness to a pig (though not in a sexual sense, merely in the way that people feel close to their pets). The boy grows very fond of the pig and greatly enjoys their companionship until one day the time comes for his only friend to be slaughtered. The boy is very protective of it and in order to prevent other people from taking away his friend's dignity the boy kills it himself (I'll save you!" [gunshot]). This is what I remember Steve explaining in an interview (please don't think I'm crazy enough to make up that stuff myself :D ). This song is one of my personal faves, though heavy music is my second favourite genre after the guitar instrumental. I can certainly understand why many people wouldn't dig it. You have to admire Steve's artistic integrity in releasing something like this and risking alienating such a large portion of his fan base (which he certainly did). "Sex & Religion" was my first exposure to Vai and it's still one of my very favourite albums. I think it will remain his most underrated work to the end (only one of it's songs on the anthology :( ). Still, I can listen to it as much as I like myself.

Seweeee! :P
Ryan Layton
Banned

i have the exact same oppinion as Alexander. Right down to S&R being my first vai album and one of my favorites.

if you listen to pig, just listen to the words and dont try to make them any kind of mediphore. it is just a boy who loves his pig and goes crazy and kills it thinking that its the only way he can avoid the pain of someone else killing his best friend when he isn't ready to let go.
davester1234

Alexander Kinnaird wrote:"Pig" is a story about a boy who is ostracised by his peers and whose isolation from society leads him to develop a closeness to a pig (though not in a sexual sense, merely in the way that people feel close to their pets). The boy grows very fond of the pig and greatly enjoys their companionship until one day the time comes for his only friend to be slaughtered. The boy is very protective of it and in order to prevent other people from taking away his friend's dignity the boy kills it himself (I'll save you!" [gunshot]). This is what I remember Steve explaining in an interview (please don't think I'm crazy enough to make up that stuff myself :D ).

Seweeee! :P
that's wicked!!!! :D never knew that!! And all this time....hehe
Psychlone

Hm, yes, that makes sense. "Running ain't about to do anything for you, my little one". Strange song, though. You REALLY have to be in the mood for it. Like I said, slathered in mud. My favorite part is when Devin snarls "I'll rip and slaughter he who takes my pig from me!"

Yeah, I think S&R is underrated. Devin does some amazing harmony work on it. But I can understand why it never caught on... it is quite out there.
davester1234

wayyy out there! Its one of my fav's. He said in an interview that the songs weirdness was inspired by the song Remedy, by the Black Crowes.

Here's the full lyrics, i got them from a website, don't know if they're 100 percent. I was sure the term pig was used as a metophore for sex, as I figured it put the song in context of the album. :lol:

I thought the 'they try to get inside of me' meant people trying to repress sexual desire and stuff, the word liberate refering to taking back the sexuality that defines us.

Stain my tongue with your mess...again, I thought....hehe

Anyway, here's the lyrics. This song feels brand new with these new ideas you guys have posted!

Why try to hide?
Runnin' ain't about to gonna do anything for you my little one
Oh they try to get inside of me,
why do they bother anyway?
We mustn't worry, anything

Tell me what you see, pig, are they here?
I'll rip and slaughter he who takes my pig from me

Chorus:Here little piggy go, pig! Live in muck,
I love my pig!
Those filthy little lovers, piggy pigs!
Liberate! See my big panic!

Don't ask me why
Sicker than I've ever been, when I see myself inside of you

But, I love you, my crude flesh,
stain my tongue with your mess
Suckle, suckle,
oh, gross, it's the roast(chorus)Seweeee!!!(Solo)

I'll save you!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Great discussion!

The lyrics are on Vai.com: http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/lyrics_pig.html

Some of them are hard to understand because they get a little buried in the craziness of the song. You can hear them better if you listen with the volume low.

It's strange - many people find Pig to be a humorous song, but I always found it disturbing.

There's a dark panic and desperation in the lines:

"Pig...are they here?
I'll rip and slaughter he
Who takes my pig away from me..."

Further, I don't think the lines:

"Ooh they try to get inside of me
Why do they bother anyway?
We mustn't worry, anything..."

refer to a repression of sexual desire. Instead I think the faceless "they" figures are not only planning to kill the pig for food, but have attempted to explain to the main protagonist that the pig is for eating and not for domestication or friendship. He can't even imagine the awful thought of it: "Oh gross, it's the roast".

The main character of the song has developed a fondness for the pig, much like one would with a cat or dog. He appreciates the carefree inhibition of the pig, who "lives in muck" and has little concern for the human attributes of cleanliness or decorum. It's can't - it's a pig, and that's its nature. Therin lies the dichotomy - because the protagonist identifies something human in the pig.

Hence the lines:

"Sicker than I've ever been
When I see myself inside of you
But I love you, my crude flesh
Stain my tongue with your mess
Suckle, suckle"

Refer the the protagonist's identification with the pig's inhibition. To me, the "stain my tongue with your mess" and "suckle, suckle" infer an almost insane desperation as the boy holds the pig to his chest and tries to comfort and protect it. I think it's certainly a double entendre, but not the main message in the verse.

In the final disturbing twist to the song, the protagonist realizes that the pig's demise is inexorable, and decides to liberate the pig with his own hand rather than let the pig die at the hands of "they" who feel no anthropomorphic connection with it.

Hmm.. I'm starting to sound like "The Architect"...

Ergo... concordantly.. I digress...

Mikey :D
vai.com
davester1234

You know, if we did this with every Vai song, I guarantee that we'd ALL learn some great stuff. :)

This is a brilliant discussion! I realize now that I knew nothing about what I thought I knew. what a cool feeling.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Steve and I were talking about interpreting lyrics the other night. I suggested that one's interpretation of art says more about the listener/viewer than it does about the artist.

Listening to Steve's music is like an aural Rorschach test. :)

There are some goodies on the new record too ;)

Mikey
vai.com
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mikey wrote:Steve and I were talking about interpreting lyrics the other night. I suggested that one's interpretation of art says more about the listener/viewer than it does about the artist.
Well, in the end the lyrics are also the interpretation of the artist..And it depends on the artist if a given song is subjectable to multiple interpretations. For instance, the lyrics of Stings 'Russians' is pretty clear and doens't leave much to the imagination. (great song, btw).
Either way, the artist had his/her own idea behind the lyrics and that says something about the artist. And if the listner has to dive into the lyrics and 'fishes' his own message out of it, which not neccasarily is the same message the writer intended, then wouldn't it be so that the 'emotional point' so to speak, didn't came across?
Sex vs a love for a pet is (thank god..:)) a huge diffrence.
Listening to Steve's music is like an aural Rorschach test

Oopps.. google.com ofline... :?
davester1234

Mikey wrote:Steve and I were talking about interpreting lyrics the other night. I suggested that one's interpretation of art says more about the listener/viewer than it does about the artist.
You know, I've never thought of it that way. Now you've really conked me over the head with something that never dawned on me before!

If that's the case, it may be true that you can see into a persons vulnerabilities when you analyze their inferences and assumptions about art.

I suppose that's the reason why they hold up pictures of black ink blobs to various types of subjects for them to interpret...allows the analyst to peer into the subjects mind to determine what's going on. :) Steve's music really is like those inkblots isn't it? :)

Simply awesome. thanx for that Mikey. this has been the coolest thread in a while :)