What does 'G3' mean?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lydian7

I've been following the G3 concerts ever since their debut. I remember reading about them during the hype in the lead-up to the first G3 concert, and how Satch concieved the name. If anyone's interested, the 'G' in 'G3' represents the name Ghidrah (a three headed monster from a Godzilla movie). Quite appropriately titled I thought, three monster guitar players, one stage! :wink:

Last edited by lydian7 on Mon May 10, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychlone

"Guitar" works too.
lydian7

Psychlone wrote:"Guitar" works too.
Yes, but that's slightly boring. :lol:

The first artwork that came out (at least in english guitar mags) showed a big image of Ghidorah in the background, with Vai, Satch, and Eric Johnson in the foreground. Pretty cool, I wish I'd have kept the poster!

tim_knox

i like that, if that is what satch meant then that is what he meant, it fits and it is a real good analogy to the three guitar players. I always thought it was guitar also (3 guitarists) ya that is boring but it makes sense. I would pay a lot of money for the poster of that monster and Ej Vai and Satch in front.
lydian7

I really wish I'd kept it now :cry:
rockininthefreeworld

I think it be: "greatest 3" :?
RAI

Ok, but if "Ghidrah" already refers to the number "3", why is the 3 added to "G3"?
That would then translate to "Threeheaded monster 3"...
:?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Ghidrah's management wouldn't let G3 use his likeness after Ghidrah's embarrassing defeat to Yngwie years earlier. Ghidrah swore that he would never work with guitarists again.

The fingers on Yngwie's fretting hand were burnt during that encounter.

It's still a bad idea to mention Ghidrah around Yngwie. He gets very emotional and says "FOCK!" a lot. (Ghidrah and Yngwie were childhood friends y'see... At one time Ghidrah played drums for Yngwie.)

;)
shacks

:lol: Nice one Mikey! The above is another fine example of a truly awful album cover which YM seems to have with every new release! Employ a decent artist!!...like moi for instance...
The Prez

Back in the day Ghidrah and me jammed. Ghidrah likes to play a lot of things by Lars of Metallica now. He tried to be a singer but he burnt the audience. :wink:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Yeah - all his heads had "lead vocalist" syndrome...
davester1234

The Prez wrote:Back in the day Ghidrah and me jammed. Ghidrah likes to play a lot of things by Lars of Metallica now. He tried to be a singer but he burnt the audience. :wink:

Last I heard, he was taking protools training sessions with Bob Rock.
GreenMeanie

Mikey wrote:Yeah - all his heads had "lead vocalist" syndrome...

Ha ha ha ha :lol: That is funny Mikey!

J