How Advanced is Vai's Theory?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
kochchoo

I had a question regarding not on theory in general, more of how well he can listen to a song and write it down on a music score.

I mean, is it so advanced that he can do this in one or two tries, or several times? What type of music can he do this with? Can he take a complex piece like a classical or jazz piece and do this? Or more simplistic music pieces like a children's song or a simple pop music.

I took a college course in beginning music theory and I had a hard time with melodic sequences, which was basically listening to a simple melody and trying to determine the notes through intervals. But I managed to get a B because he dealt more with analyzing pieces like identifying the chord inversions, passing notes, and etc. in a classical piece. There was a guy in my class that got it dead on both the melodic and rhythmic sequence.
Psychlone

Look at the things he notates in "Little Black Dots"-- more specifically, the tempo-mental section.

Steve is a theory GOD. I get the sense that we don't even shown us how much he can do, technically.
rockininthefreeworld

Yes, I agree with Psychlone
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Steve's knowledge of music theory is incredibly advanced. He has transcribed music from Zappa to Malmsteen to Holdsworth. That should give you a gauge of his level of skill.

Still, it's not something you just do after listening for one or two passes. The time it takes to transcribe a song depends on its complexity.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
The Prez

Well, he's advanced enough to do what he does on the guitar, nuff said.
kochchoo

Mikey wrote:Steve's knowledge of music theory is incredibly advanced. He has transcribed music from Zappa to Malmsteen to Holdsworth. That should give you a gauge of his level of skill.

Still, it's not something you just do after listening for one or two passes. The time it takes to transcribe a song depends on its complexity.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
If this is true, I have a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go to get to his level. That just really depresses me. :cry:
Massacre

That's why they call him "Dr. Vai"
Logic

almost makes you wanna chuck your guitar in a river somewhere
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

"It should be a challenge. And even if you don't get there, you oughta enjoy the ride..."

8) (Just a quote I thought that fits nicely)
davester1234

Massacre wrote:That's why they call him "Dr. Vai"
agreed
Massacre

You know that's why I like Steve so much, he's really educated. I respect that. Most guitarist can't read music if there life depended on it LOL. And it show's how much he care's for music. Not only that but he composes (did I spell that right lol) like a genius.
Bono

Massacre wrote:You know that's why I like Steve so much, he's really educated. I respect that. Most guitarist can't read music if there life depended on it LOL. And it show's how much he care's for music. Not only that but he composes (did I spell that right lol) like a genius.
I agree...the theory knowledge of Vai, and Satch for that matter, astounds me and this is such an important aspect which makes them both not just great guitarists, but great musicians - thats what seperates them from a lot of guitarists out there today.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bono wrote: I agree...the theory knowledge of Vai, and Satch for that matter, astounds me and this is such an important aspect which makes them both not just great guitarists, but great musicians - thats what seperates them from a lot of guitarists out there today.
Do you think that the theoretical knowledge is the reason for them to be the great musician? Because I honestly don't. It helps, a lot, sure, just like their technical skills...but all the theory in the world can't train your 'artisic muscle' so to speak.. There are great musicians who can't read a note either.

(..IMHO, and 'musical greatness' is of course highly subjective, but Joe and Steve rule anyway.. :) )
spanishphrygian

All I can say is that I am glad that Steve sugested going to the Library! (Frank Zappa sugested this, and my instructors at the University said to check out the Library too!) There seems to be no end to the knowlege. I just feel that this needs to be said. I am sure that everyone already knows this though. haha.

Meanwhile, Steve must have perfect pitch to be able to transcribe all of that stuff at the age of 17!!! We all know he is a genius. I am very glad that we have access to his music and influence becuase it makes life good.

Then again, I wish I was a genius too! lol

At least we are all lucky enough to appreciate and enjoy Steve's gift as he shares it with us all!

Long live Rock!!!
Ryan Layton
Banned

nah, no perfect pitch, but very good reletave pitch.