question for mikey

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Lycanthrope

hey man

im kind of new to the forum so, forgive the ignorance:

what exactly is your relationship to steve vai? i notice a few remarks about you being on tour with him? and photographing his guitar? seems you have quite a close, maybe personal friendship with him?

i was just curious - as you seem to be in a really privileged position

best wishes,
yon.
davester1234

in case Mikey misses this, I believe he's Steve Vai's Artistic Director.

He gets to do many cool things, ONE of which is run this awesome site for the fans.

Ultimately, I like to think of Mikey as being the "link" between Steve Vai and his fans; :) The way we keep up to date and current about all things Vai. :) He's also Steve's everyday voice to us.

Mikey makes being a fan an easy job! :)

He's a pretty cool guy too if you get to meet him. :)
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Hello,

Yes, I'm an Art Director/Creative Director by trade, and I do Vai.com for Steve - as well as other little design projects here and there for him. Vai.com isn't my full-time job, but it's certainly a passion!

I feel incredibly privileged to be able to work for Steve - it's a blast.

I did tour with the band on the G3 tour last year which was tons of fun. I took photos of the shows, and a bunch of other things. I'd love to tour again somtime, but it all depends on many things - including whether there's space for me on the bus and what else I have on my work schedule at the time.

Photos from G3 are coming! really! :D

Mikey :)
vai.com
Lycanthrope

Mikey wrote:Hello,

Yes, I'm an Art Director/Creative Director by trade, and I do Vai.com for Steve - as well as other little design projects here and there for him. Vai.com isn't my full-time job, but it's certainly a passion!

I feel incredibly privileged to be able to work for Steve - it's a blast.

I did tour with the band on the G3 tour last year which was tons of fun. I took photos of the shows, and a bunch of other things. I'd love to tour again somtime, but it all depends on many things - including whether there's space for me on the bus and what else I have on my work schedule at the time.

Photos from G3 are coming! really! :D

Mikey :)
vai.com
i think i speak for everyone here then - could you , i duno.. im just blown away by the lengths steve went to play when he was a kid..there's just a lot of mythology and rumour behind the amount he practiced and what he knew..and you know, being the most innovative guitarist in the world (and a personal favourite of mine) ... we are all racking our brains to know his secret...
what was his drive as a kid, what did he know, where did he learn most of his theory.... could he technically get up with a group of jazz players and know all the substitutions to a particular song.. .is he a master of HIS domains or all domains? ... i duno my question is leading off on a tangent, but i think you get what i mean..

can you tell us anything?
yon.

is the guy bad at anything on the guitar? ie... good at rock/jazz/blues..etc but shitty at say country music? or is he THE master?

tell me he's human!!!!!!
Matthew

Country. Steve cops an OK Country-sounding passage on "The Audience Is Listening" :lol:
davester1234

I like steve because he NEVER sounds generic. If its country, its country VAI style...same with blues. That's because he's one of the few guys out there that has really been able to make a unique style.

I heard him take a lot of flack on other forums for not playing the blues the way Robert Johnson did. The question is, why would he want to? He's steve vai, not r.j. :)
Henrique Henriques

Hey Mikey!!
Do you Play the Guitar? Do you play anything?

HH.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

yep - I play the guitar. I was also classically trained in piano, but I've not played for a long time.
rockininthefreeworld

Mikey:
What is your relationship with steve?
What Gear do you have?
Bye,Good luck!!!
bytorsnow

Hey mikey!! I realize Steve is touring europe/austrailia,but is there any plans of steve doing a solo tour here in the states in the near future.