shyboy - astoria dvd

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
sap

5min 30sec into shyboy on the london astoria dvd steve and billy are hitting their guitars in front and behind their fret hand with their picking hand. What are they doing? They are also doing this on the G3 dvd. Thanks.
RickAllen

I think they're just trying to look cool. Though I don't think it's that cool, but what do I know about cool?
Ryan Layton
Banned

when they hit in front of the fret hand, they are tapping, when they are holding their picking hand behind the fret hand, they are holding a note, and using the fret hand to do pull offs to it.
keithb

I dunno about that Ryan...I think RickAllen has the right of it: they're just trying to look cool :D Looks to me like they're just holding a chord and hitting the guitar hard enough to make the notes ring.

They do play a lick like the one Ryan is talking about, with 'hand over hand' pulloffs, but I don't think that's the one sap was asking about
Ryan Layton
Banned

it depends on which part of the song he is talking about. there is one part where they are doing the unison tapping stuff, and i do believe they are doing that hand over hand thing, but at the very end they are going crazy and swing their hair all over the place and i think that is when they are doing what u described.
Moderator777

Ryan Layton wrote:it depends on which part of the song he is talking about. there is one part where they are doing the unison tapping stuff, and i do believe they are doing that hand over hand thing, but at the very end they are going crazy and swing their hair all over the place and i think that is when they are doing what u described.
If you read the original post it states 5 minutes, 30 seconds into the Shyboy song.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
Little_Alligator

Uhuh, very helpful Mod777 :roll:

I've always wondered this too since the first G3 video release, it's actually quite addictive as I used to do it to, again, for no real reason :oops:

Anyone any ideas???

Jibboom!

SPM
Matthew

They're playing some hot lixx and making it look cool in the process!
tim_knox

yah, it is a thing that they do to make it look exciting. However, during many part of the show steve does it by himself and when he does it, it seems like the noise actually changes,,,does he just shake the chord he is holding and use vibrato or what?
Quikman4315

Steve does this in a lot of other songs on the Astoria DVD. And i dont think its just for looks. Ill search through the DVD and try and find it were they do it again and listen to it. Peace.

A.M.P.
V41

Maybe they're just really into what they're doing. Sometimes when you get excited or euphoric playing guitar you just want to hit it and make noise--same thing that makes people smash them... besides publicity stunting, I guess.
Psychlone

Do we have to analyze every single thing they do? Just try it for yourself and see what happens. If it gives you the feeling, you'll have learned why they do it. If not, just accept the physicality of guitar playing.
tim_knox

How is analyzing people like Vai a bad thing, people like what he does and sometimes want to imitate. People are just trying to figure out whether it is just a visual trick or actually producing some sort of different sound, there is no harm in that?
Psychlone

None whatsoever. I'm just pointing out that one can actually glean plenty of information about this technique by trying it for oneself. Unless you don't have a guitar, in which case I guess discussion would be the best route. I'm not snapping at anyone, never fear.

Let me also suggest that if you were to incorporate open strings into a chord voicing while using this technique, you could strum behind your hand and make a sound. Like I said, try it for yourself. It's whatever feels and looks good.
Ryan Layton
Banned

Let me also suggest that if you were to incorporate open strings into a chord voicing while using this technique, you could strum behind your hand and make a sound.
like in The Animal!