superman ?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
RaiVai

hey all,
does anyone know that song that sounds like the melody for super man ?
i beleive its on the infinte vai cd.
i cant remember where ive heard it, either that or the astoria dvd ??
either way... does it have a name?
or maybe its just a transition piece from songs ??

please help,
ryan
RickAllen

Blood and Glory. It is on Astoria. I don't have the other cd, so it may be there also.

-Rick
RaiVai

thanks rick :lol:
Rye
lydian7

Yeah, it's 'Bood & Glory'. It was the 'Song for England' Vai composed on the plane to England during the Ultra Zone tour, and can be found on the 'Alive in an Ultra World' CD. I actually attended a Vai soundcheck in Wolverhampton england when this song was being rehearsed for the first time. I even got to hold EVO :D

...I think the melody to 'Blood & Tears' seems similar to 'Superman' because John Williams (the composer of the Superman theme) uses 5th intervals in his melodies, it's a trademark of his. So whenever you hear that 5th intervalic leap, you associate it with a Williams theme... hence the heroic sound quality.

Also Steve uses the dorian mode to achieve the folky-english textures. I think it sounds very appropriate to england. I imagine English castles and cavaliers from the middle ages going to war (maybe with a few orcs and goblins thrown in for good measure!).

~Ryan
Psychlone

"Blood and Glory" sounds like what you would play to fire up the troops, and "Liberty" is what you play after you have won the day!