Vai's opinion of Randy Rhoads

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Mr. Johnson
Newcomer

Hi guys, I'm new here. Does anyone know what Steve thinks of Randy's playing? Randy is one of my favorites of all time and it would be interesting to know what Steve thinks of Randy's style. One virtuoso talking about another. Thanks
Tony

A couple of years ago there was an article about Randy in a German guitar magazine. It's a little hard for me to translate, but they wrote that Steve once said something like:
"Randy had Heavy Metal quality, something you don't find often..."
I think he meant that he did some really innovative things.

Rocking regards,
Tony
The Extremist

Randy Rhodes was one of the greatest heavy metal guitarists without a doubt. He was up there with the likes of Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.
RickAllen

Randy was a near-perfect rock guitarist. Who could not think highly of him? He made two classic rock records. He deserves way more credit than he's been given. He had just the right ingredients.
davester1234

at a young age, randy made some of the most tastefull guitar music imaginable.

That's worth its weight in gold if you ask me.
Tony

I haven't heard much from Randy up to now...
Do you guys have any listening tips? CDs or songs?
Btw: Is Randy playing the solo on Ozzy's "Mr. Crowley"?
davester1234

he absolutely is.

You NEED to go buy "blizzard of ozz", "Tribute", and "Diary of a Madman".

In that order.

You will never be the same, I guarantee it. :)
mobiusjet

ahhh blizzard of ozz great pick dave
RAI

I think Randy was a bigger influence on heavy metal guitar than EVH was.
If you listen to any guitar solo from the any of the bands from the early 80's on, see how many of them sound like EVH, and how many are more in the style of Randy...
I know alot of guys say that hearing "eruption" is what made them want to play guitar, but somehow no one really sounds like EVH was their main influence...
guyzif

It would be interesting to see how rock music would be today if he was still alive.
davester1234

Randy was one of the few players that qualified as being the macaroni and the cheese for me when I was growing up.

His music has SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much replay value. Him and Ozzy were hands down the best rock singer/guitarist duo I've ever heard. Ozzy wasn't neccessarily the BEST singer, but man did those two have an unbelievable chemistry/friendship that translated into their music.

songs like revelation(mother earth) were like rock concerto's...they'd take you through a range of emotions and were executed to perfection.