"Blue Powder"

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Psychlone

I've been seriously digging this song lately, and I was idly wondering where the title came from. The only thing remotely close to this I can think of is the phrase "blue powder monkeys" from "The March of the Black Queen", which is on Queen's second album. (Didn't Steve say he was a big Queen fan?) Anybody care to hazard a guess?
RAI

With Steve you never know.
His mind travels in weird places...
Which is a good thing.
:D
Matthew

I have no clue. When I first saw the title, I thought it was drug-related. But Steve is something else, so I'm sure it has it's own meaning.
Ryan Layton
Banned

yeah i thought it was about drugs too but as far as i know, steve has only done pot once and decided it wasn't for him. i ruled that one out early on.
Psychlone

I think the only drugs Steve uses are manufactured naturally in his brain... and if it were drugs, wouldn't it be "White Powder"? :)
davester1234

well, considering the opening words are 'this is a ballad dat I wrote, its all...its about peace and love, and good happiness stuff', I'm not so sure its about drugs! LOL!
lydian7

davester1234 wrote:well, considering the opening words are 'this is a ballad dat I wrote, its all...its about peace and love, and good happiness stuff', I'm not so sure its about drugs! LOL!
Actually I was thinking the same thing. In Vai's diaries he mentions a time when he was younger, and he was smoking some weed laced with cocaine or something. He said the drug induced a nightmarish dream-like state in him for a while. I know Steve hates drugs now though, and he condems the use of them (as do I, the mind is a precious thing that shouldn't be damaged). But I wonder, is this what 'Blue Powder' is about? He did say that the whole of passion & warfare was based around dreams and experiences he had when he was younger. I'm only speculating, but I think there's some truth in this theory! :)

Whatever it's about, it's one of my favourite Vai songs (I like it even better than FTLOG!). He really paints a vivid musical landscape with this piece, it's absolutely exquisite! :D
davester1234

I agree. and maybe u guys are right about the drugs... :)

i know the term 'blue' can be used to describe passion, lust, sex, hot fantasy...I don't know if that applies or not.

This looks like a job for Mikey! 8)
Psychlone

Even if he did have a chemical-related experience when he was younger, I'm SURE he wouldn't glorify it... I think Steve's head trips are all self-induced. His anti-drug stance is well known (bravo, Steve). So it looks like the "Blue Powder" mystery goes on...

Maybe Steve was thinking of Kool-Aid... you know, packets of blue powder...
Tom

"Powder blue" is kind of a color, maybe Steve reversed the term to put his peculiar spin on whatever the sensibility of that color might be... Powder blue is baby blue, innocent and wholesome. That point in the song at 2:00, where there is an abrupt shift and an almost "backwards" feel, is a very Vai sort of twist, into, I don't know, a not-so-innocent and wholesome territory. What a song! From the squeaky extraneous string noise at the open to the clangy echo at the end. One of my very favorites.
lendl

when I first saw the title and heard the words in the intro I thought it was maybe about a mountain. Powder being snow? I don't know if I explained this right but that's what I thought of snowey mountains.

-Lendl
RickAllen

Barenaked Ladies have a song called "Powder Blue". Steve's could be just a cool title. Kool-Aid before you add the water is blue powder.
Ffats

It'd be funny if he came on here and told us it was just about Kool-Aid :D
lydian7

I'm English. What the f*%k is Kool-aid? lol.
Ryan Layton
Banned

YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT KOOL-AID?!

Maybe its just an american thing. It is a a powder mix of sugar and flavoring that you mix with water and drink. its just like any powder mix drink, except its mascot is a cool pitcher full of red kool-aid that dances and says 'oh yeah'.

wonderful stuff