Best Steve Vai vocal track?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lydian7

I think stevie's greatest vocal achievement, and a song that epitomises Vai's artistic spirit, is without a doubt 'All About Eve'. I find it close in compositional style to 'Dyin' day', and I love the atmosphere that the constantly changing keys conjure up. It's very harmonically complex, always shifting it's tonal centre, yet it works incredibley well! :)
Bono

I really dig 'I know you're here' from the G3 DVD. Apart from that, maybe light of the moon. I think Steve has a better singing voice than Satch (although Satch was awesome in 'Rockin in the Free world'), but neither of their voices touches their ability on the guitar 8)
Psychlone

Even if Steve isn't the greatest singer in the world, have you noticed that he keeps getting better? I'm really enjoying watching him find his tone...

That being said, "I Know You're Here" does have some pretty nice vocals on it. I also really like his treatment of "Little Wing" on the Astoria DVD. At first he kind of shouts "Well she's walkin'!" and you think, "Oh, crap. This is going to be lame." But then he sort of croons "Through the clouds..." and I just went, "Phew." I think he actually brings out the vocal melody a little more than the recorded version... Jimi couldn't really "sing" either, but that didn't stop him!

Oh, and props for "just going for it!" on "Genocide"
RickAllen

I like Brother the best.
Tom

Psychlone wrote:Even if Steve isn't the greatest singer in the world, have you noticed that he keeps getting better? I'm really enjoying watching him find his tone...
Me too! Like I think he said somewhere recently he's still finding his singing voice, (to paraphrase) it's like taming some unruly beast. In my opinion "I Know You're Here" is the best overall so far but I also like "Alive in an Ultra World" and "Rescue Me or Bury Me." Other vocal performances from FG and TUZ have grown on me, more than I'd expected initially but more slowly. With the later stuff (such as that aforementioned beginning to "Little Wing" and some parts of "..You're Here") -- it sounds to me a little like some native New York accent or attitude is starting to color the vocal sound, which, might be expected I guess.
Gulliver

"When I Was A Little Boy"
lydian7

Bono wrote:I really dig 'I know you're here' from the G3 DVD. Apart from that, maybe light of the moon. I think Steve has a better singing voice than Satch (although Satch was awesome in 'Rockin in the Free world'), but neither of their voices touches their ability on the guitar 8)
I think Steve has a natural gifted voice, lots of power behind it. To my ears he sounds better than most professional singers, and he always sings expressively (which the majority of singers tend not to do!). lol, Satch's voice stinks, and I think he knows it! Doesn't stop him having a bash though :wink:
Ryan Layton
Banned

I like Alive In An Ultra World and I Know You're Here. Little Alligator was pretty cool too: NOW GET ON WITH IT!
davemeetsworld

"I'll be around" is one of his best vocal achievements, but all about eve is my favourite vocal track, no contest!
lydian7

davemeetsworld wrote:"I'll be around" is one of his best vocal achievements, but all about eve is my favourite vocal track, no contest!
Did you here the swedish girl-band version of 'I'll be around'!? Classic, lol! :D Yeah, I think that song's one of Vai's best vocal ballades. Didn't he write it around the David Lee Roth period? I'm sure I remember him saying that somewhere? :roll:
Matthew

"All About Eve" is one of the best songs with vocals I've ever heard.
marvin

i like all about eve, but silent within (theatrical song) is one of the best songs (vocally and musically) :twisted:
GuitarStrings

I think Steve is a definitely a great singer, in despite of what many people said.
He puts so much passion in his singing, just like when he plays guitar.
Maybe he is not Pavarotti, but he's singing is so appropriate with what he wants to explain.
lydian7

marvin wrote:i like all about eve, but silent within (theatrical song) is one of the best songs (vocally and musically) :twisted:
My favourite part is the middle 8 lydian section with the oodles of layered vocals. That section is so lush, it's almost reminiscent of a west side story piece.
Joost
Newcomer

RickAllen wrote:I like Brother the best.
So do I...
It's an incredibly beautifull song...