Error in Vaideology book?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
JukeboxMagic
Newcomer

Hi,

I’m currently studying Steve’s new Vaideology book and loving it so far. :ugeek: :guitar

There’s something I don’t understand on page 21, when Steve writes: « You may have noticed that the A on the high E is indicated as a M9. Although this note could be considered the M17th from the G root on the low E string, it would only be theoretical to call it this. »

Why would this be considered a M17th? Wouldn’t that be a M16th instead? A M17th would be B, not A. :?:

Is that an error, or is there something I don’t understand?
Jeries

Extended chords don't really go past 13th

The 9th would be an A

I also think in theory because he's saying an octave above that one- if we could voice it that way- (and because the root is not involved the 9 is the correct name- he's just voicing it different)- you are right the A above that would be the 16th not the 17th- but you also can't really have even numbered extended chords. And, a guitar has 6 strings- and a 15th chord would be playing every note in the scale at the same time....I'd really have to see the exact chord and know the key too.

I'd say he should have just left it as a 9.
RSWRecording
Newcomer

That's funny, I was looking through the book the other day and had the same question but didn't think much of it and forgot about it. Interesting book with lots of great info!
Jeries

Chords are built on opposite notes

1 3 5
Doesn't matter if it's major or minor

Every scale degree has a place in scale

A 7th chord is 1 3 5 7

9th
1 3 5 7 9

11th
1 3 5 7 9 11

13th

1 3 5 7 9 11 13

At 13 every scale degree has a place

C D E F G A B C

13th Chord would be

C E G B D F A
Which is every note

Likewise- if we hypothetically went above that It would have to be an odd number- I guess you'd call it a 17th and then perhaps flat it depending on the key to get it where you want- but you'd never do that- because that note is the 9th- the 17th would signify it's distance from the root- but that really doesn't matter-

If I played a CMajor13- which is- all the white notes on the piano at the same time- the entire scale- as long as the lowest note is a C- none of the other voicing really matter- and if it did- you'd be better calling it a different chord. You can't really be specific in terms of voicing outside of a 13th-

Now that I think about it- if every note gets a name in a scale/key
Meaning
This is wrong:
G A B C D E Gb G
- every note gets a name, it would have to be F#

There's really no such chords over a 13- because at 13- every degree gets it's own name, so his 16th/17th/whatever is just a specific inversion of a 9th

So even "theoretically" calling it a 16th or 17th is just wrong- that degree, already has a name and number and it's proper place in the key- you can't double it mattering in a different voice outside the root.

I was thinking if it's possible to have a 17th chord hypothetically if it has an accidental/different note than the 9- but- I think every time I add it in- to an example- it changes it to a different chord better represented by something else- Like an Minor13th Chord with a #17 is just a G/the Minor 3rd. if you Flat it than it doesn't fit in the key-

I don't know- I can't call it a 17th chord- it's a 9...which he does say in the first place.

I shouldn't have had the 'theoretical' in there