Most difficult Vai song?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Vaism

i dont really see how anyone can not say tender surrender. that song is just so unique to his style of playing that trying to emulate it would be a huge pain in the ass. no one SHOULD play that song except for vai because they wouldnt do it justice :)
mr_vai777

For The Love OF God - Feeling/Emotion and Technique
Whispering A Prayer - Same as Above
Brandos Costumes - Acoustic is SO much harder than electric, trust me i learnt both FTLOG and Brandos Costumes.
Frank - No-one can play this like Vai. It was written for his idol and possibly his best friend.

Theres many more I could mention such as Lotus Feet, The Riddle, Boston Rain Melody and Bad Horsie but I won't go into them :D :P
The Eterna Player

Kill the guy with the ball is the hardest song, especially for those with no rythm abilities.
Feverdream777

I say this with a little ego as possible.

I can play and have been playing Vai's songs for 15 years now. All of them.
I am the only person I know or have met personally that can play all of Vai's songs note for note besides Steve Himself. I am a very accomplished musician and teacher.

The only only songs I don't play regularly are the songs with alternate tunings....but, after my thousands of hours playing and practicing with his music. I still can't play:

Eugene's Trick Bag up to tempo

I realized that it is very specific to the structure and size of his hands, fingers, and arms that he can move that fast and perfectly. Off and on, I have spent nearly 15 years trying to get it up to tempo. I just can't do it.

I can play it perfectly at 135 bpm. Its recorded and performed at 150 bpm

When I play it that fast, it is sloppy to my ear, but people still say Wow.

P.S.

Just in case anyone was wondering, my Favorite Songs to play and Jam to are:

Dying Day
Answers & the Riddle
Giant Balls of Gold
Fire Garden Suite
Feverdream
Oooo
Tender Surrender
Die to Live

etc. etc. etc.

P.P.S

Still haven't mastered Freak Show Excess....that is a hard one too.
Pi2plank

when it comes to technicality, Eugene's trick bag is a killer...i cant play it that clean & that fast...

BUT while i was learning (i'm still not finished w/ it) Brandos Costumes, i realized that a note is not just a note. Let's say i play a B note, ok it may sound fine to the mainstream ear, BUT to the musician its all wrong. why? because if you don't put the right emotion on that note, then it doesnt sound as good, its all wrong for me...that's why i love brandos costumes so much because even if it starts out slow, there's so much emotion in it..btw there's that killer fast riff there (i havent got to that part)..so i'm thinking vai's songs are really difficult cause even if you've got the technique to do it, you may not have the right emotion to do the song justice...IMO, i think only vai can do whispering a prayer...the second time i listened to it, it brought tears to my eyes. There's so much power behind it...
salamancafiesta

davemeetsworld wrote:In my humble opininon, i think that the boy from seattle is one of the hardest vai songs
He mentioned somewhere that that was the hardest song of ALS to play.
Vaism

davemeetsworld wrote:In my humble opininon, i think that the boy from seattle is one of the hardest vai songs
i think it is because of the articulations and little things he throws in there. however for a well rounded guitarist, this song shouldnt be a killer. it has a lot of jazzy chords and quick changes, frequently modern guitar players ignore this part of their guitar education so to speak. so they fast licks are easy for them but throw them a 7th chord and give them a few quick changes and they dont know what to do.
Willie

Although I haven't heard that many albums of Steve's, I do have P&W, Ellusive Light & Sound Vol. 1 and Reflection; Real Illusion and so far 1 of the hardest tracks to play, other than Eugene's Trick Bag, would be the The Audience Is Listening, from P&W, but like I said, there's loads of songs and albums of Steve's that I've yet to hear :)

I don't know if any of you guyswould agree or not, but I would like to hear your thought on that track :)

Peace Everyone :peace 8)
lydian7

Blue Powder. Even Steve himself can't prefectly recreate the magic he captured in the studio on stage. It has very complex nuaces that are almost impossible to perfectly replicate note for note.
guyzif

I have to say all of them one way or another! I cant play a single one!

Still i have studied them on tab over time and from what ive SEEN (not tried to play) id say tender surrender.
The Eterna Player

salamancafiesta wrote:
He mentioned somewhere that that was the hardest song of ALS to play.
Is Hard, but not that hard, maybe is because solo players put too many time working on lead and no rythm, for me, there should be a hard to play, a hard to learn, a hard to go trough with a tons of feelin, a hard to give your own tone, and even a hard to compose for stve, in that case, I read that comment too , and he said that the boy from seattle was the hardest to compose because the complex jazzy sound from hendrix that inspire him was hard to reproduce, he also made comments about the two weeks playing loops just to get the main idea of windows to the soul, there are a couple of real illusions tracks that steve tough were too difficult, he keep saying that the attitude song and frank were ultimate challenges, also that melissa garden was a hell to produce because he was just working with pro tools. to learn, kill the guy with ball, to play with your own tone for the love of god, the hardest on the fingers maybee eugene, but that with a lot of practice and some ugly malsteem lessons you can put on, and sometime imposible could be reproduce alien water kiss again exactly.
Prezidentman

In addition to all the songs above, I think "Pig" is also bloody hard to pull off.
another virtuoso

Whookam wrote:The solo to "Tender Surrender" is a strained hand muscle just waiting to happen! That's the toughest thing of Vai's that I've encountered, I believe.
although its hard to narrow it down to just one, or even just a couple for that matter,tender surrenders solo really is insane. watch a video of him playing it and its insane. i watched one wheres leaning back looking behind him as hes playing it... man its crazy.
Stratwizard

I think it's Freak Show Excess. Some really difficult rhytmic stuff there!
rythm_Futur

Rescue me or bury me!

most of the song is just steve jamming and the sheer lenght of it would make it hard to master. And there are some very difficult nuances in there and some very fast shit.

Tender surrender is just as hard if not more. I can play it but compared to steve it sounds like cats screwing!

One song that is harder then all of steves? well anything by tommy emmanuel! but esspecially ladymaddona/day tripper cover he does. It puts knots in my fingers.