The Official 'G3 2003' CD & DVD REVIEW Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
RickAllen

I watched the dvd twice.

Here are some thoughts:

First of all it should've been the whole concert in the proper order. I watched mine in reverse order. Joe was great. Stu Hamm should've been there. And I don't think Joe should have a rhythm guitarist, he doesn't need one. But I loved his set anyway. Great songs.

Steve was awesome, triple neck stuff was really cool. I thought his vocals were too low, his guitar was too low, and Tony has a terrible guitar sound. I loved the four of them up there fretting each others guitars. I think they should've included the part in the show where Steve was dancing around and all that stuff(can't remember the song). The best performer of the three. And his singing is good too. He has a really distinctive voice. Loved your set Steve.

Yngwie was fun too. Is that Geddy Lee on bass? Just kidding. I think he should've put in the Orchestra bit. That guy that got Yngwie's guitar was pretty lucky. It was great to watch Yngwie though.

The jam was awesome. Though Joe's guitar was way too loud, Steve's was too low. Yngwie's was just right. The vocals were too low also. Great song selections too. Little Wing was amazing. I think they played together really well. Doesn't Yngwie sing great on Voodoo child? Just kidding. It was all over too soon.

The bonuses were terrible, aside from the fret cam for the guitar nuts out there. Haven't you always wanted to see a lighting diagram? There should've been lots of rehersal stuff, introduce the band members, more of the fan meetings, and maybe some interviews with the 3G's. Maybe even a photo gallery. Oh yeah, the camera work - especially during Yngwie was too shaky for me. I can't stand those quick cuts every 2 seconds. Are they afraid we'll be bored? I think it's too important of an event to make an MTV video out of it. I wish there were more shots from back a little ways and hold the shots longer. More like "Joe Live in San Francisco".

Anyways. I don't mean to be too negative. I'm glad we at least have something. It is really great, I'm just nitpicking. I plan on watching it often. Also I wonder if there were any fixups? I hope not. Jimi would've been amazed to see those three up there performing his music. Also I loved where Steve asks if they're waiting for a camera then notices it and says "Duh!!" Great ending.

I saw the Montreal show and I loved it. Thanks again to Vai.com for the aftershow passes.

-Rick
Simon

I thought the G3 2003 DVD was pretty cool. The sound was pretty damn good throughout. I prefered Joe's guitar sound on this compared to his Live in San Francisco; it was much rawer and lively. The whole thing had much more of a rock n' roll vibe to it, unlike San Francisco which to me came across as just a big guitar clinic rather than a gig. Joes playing was, as ever tasteful and highly listenable.

Steve's part was the most spectacular, in terms of musical depth, cool ideas and variety. Dunno why he put Juice on there because I think it is one of his least inventive pieces of music and sounds kinda similar to Satch Boogie. I would have preferred Tender Surrender or Warm Regards. The guy is still a genius and easily the most stunning of the three G's.

Yngwie's playing is utterly predictable these days and he hasn't broken any ground since 1984. It's cool to see him shred the neo classique at 100mph but that's all he does.

The jam didn't sound as well put together or tight is the '96 one. I think this is mainly to do with the fact the Yngwie struggles to allow the other's any space to breathe (musically! Although he could do with laying of the pies as well!) Eric Johnson was a perfect compliment to the other guys and I think they fed off each other to contribute some great melodies and cool ideas, but this time round Yngwie J was blurting out when he should have but chugging some powerchords.

Anyway that all sounds a bit negative, and it shouldn't do 'cause I did for the most part enjoy the show.
VirtuosoX

Well, after seeing all these reviews, and taking it all in from minute one on my DVD, I have to say that I am disappointed. Lighting diagrams? Fretcam does not work for all DVD players. It works on mine, but not on my friends. He too was not impressed. I love all three of these guys, and I met Steve and Yngwie. I will always support them in whatever they do. But come on, what were we really watching? A edited, cut out version of the greatest show on earth by the best players and musicians in the world gathered in one room!! To me, this was a remarkable event in my life. I will never forget my NASHVILLE meeting and concert. But the show in Denver looks like there may have been a little more mojo happenin' onstage than in Nashville. That is ok, but the fans want to see interviews, backstage stuff, sound checks, etc. The Astoria DVD is FAR SUPERIOR to this. Don't think that I am attacking this at all, because now I have I know you're here on cd/dvd. I thought that it was ok, but could have been MUCH better. Like STELLA said in a previous post/review: Seeing Steve walk out on stage was like re-living it again. I forgot how much I like Joe. Thanks for a DVD of your not so often played performances. I just think that any fan that saw the whole G3 show from start to stop wanted to re-capture that again when the dvd was purchased. But, all in all, I am still a fan, and will always be. Thanks guys, for a good show!!

VX
Bono

RickAllen wrote:Also I loved where Steve asks if they're waiting for a camera then notices it and says "Duh!!" Great ending.

-Rick
I admit I did laugh when I first saw this, but now I kinda feel like he was faking it. He looks at the camera a number of times throughout that little backstage bit. Still funny as hell though. I love the bit just before Yngwie where he is in his dressing room practicing, then points at the camera. Makes me laugh even now...
VirtuosoX

That was a GREAT ending!!! I think that Steve REALLY did not know that there was a camera there at all times. I think that Steve thought the camera had left. Classic moment. Thanks for reminding me!!!

VX
Azyiu

Everyone posts pretty good reviews on both the dvd and the cd, and what I want to say has been mentioned by some already; so I am going to make my review really short! Or at least I will try!

The dvd is pretty awesome! The overall production surely beats the first G3 dvd/ video. However, I'd love to see more the behind-the-scene stuff, or even some sound check footage!

For the cd, I am somewhat disappointed. For one, the cd is more expensive than the dvd?! Secondly, I truly expected to hear Steve's Tripleneck song in its entirety there, instead there is only the second half (the singing part) of that tune! If I knew about that, I probably wouldn't have bought the cd... finally, hey, what's up with Yngwie's "Finale"? It would be "interesting" to see him messing around with his guitar and effects, but not hearing it! I'd rather see that part on the dvd than on the cd. Are they (the record company) trying to blow our ear drums or something?
slapgup

The dvd and cd totally" RAAAWWWKKK" as Yngwie would say. As has been stated before it really bites that they didn't put out the entire show on the dvd. I would be REALLY pissed if Steve hadn't come out with the Astoria dvd as well. And I also feel like saying F**K OFF to the Yngwie slaggers but I won't cuz I'm not that kinda guy..... and that lighting diagram???
Bono

slapgup wrote:The dvd and cd totally" RAAAWWWKKK" as Yngwie would say. As has been stated before it really bites that they didn't put out the entire show on the dvd. I would be REALLY pissed if Steve hadn't come out with the Astoria dvd as well. And I also feel like saying F**K OFF to the Yngwie slaggers but I won't cuz I'm not that kinda guy..... and that lighting diagram???
Well said. Yngwies amazing. Love his singing during Voodoo Child lol
SBL4578
Newcomer

Joe's set is the same songs that he always plays, with the exception of Midnight and Stary Night. I wish that he would not play the same songs over and over again. I can watch the Live from San Fran DVD if I want to see him play Satch boogie for the millionth time. I Know That You Are Here is the best perfomance on the DVD hands down! I have watched it over and over again about 50 times. And I am not sick of hearing it yet! Juice was ok. I thought that Steve's distortion level was too low b/c the artificial harmonics did not ring. And I'm the Hell Outta Here was GREAT!!! I love the playfullness during the middle of the song. I can tell that you guys were having a blast playing! Also the camera work was great. It was a lot better than the London DVD. Although I can not figure out how to make the Bonus Fretcam feature work. Maybe b/c I am playing it on my X-box. Maybe next time you do G3, for the bonus footage you should film your sound check and maybe just jam out. And maybe some backstage hijinks too! I would love to see you guys just improvise. Also, Put every song that you play at the concert on the DVD. I will pay extra for it if I have to. And I am sure that evryone else here would pay extra for it too! Yngwie is ok. I am not really into his set that much. But I can respect his music. It's just not my taste. The songs on the jam at the end are over done. There is too much soloing. Gosh, I can't believe that I said that! I hope that you guys don't attack me for saying that! I liked the jam from the first G3 when you did My Guitar Wants To Kill your Mama. But this one wasn't all that great. Maybe it was the song selection. It was just too busy! It was like three people all trying to have a conversation with you and all of them are talking at the same time! How about next G3 you guys just write your own jam songs and put them on a CD and DVD so everyone will buy them! That would be cool. Just a thought. Anyway, I hope that I was not too harsh. I love the G3 tour and I will go see it again next time it passes through this way. I was just giving my honest opinion b/c you asked for it. Anyway, thanks for the music Steve!
VirtuosoX

The JAM session was good, but a little busy. But that is the good thing. Your head is spinning at the end of it all. In Nashville, we had the pleasure of seeing Neil Schon from Journey come out and jam also, along with a local Nashville Telecaster chopin' head cutter!! The DVD was ok, and since I put in my 2 cents already, I know that I could not do any better. My only gripe is that the WHOLE show is not there. I WOULD PAY $30 for this dvd, anytime!!! If there is a way that SONY could reproduce the whole show ( I am sure that it is recorded somewhere) I would re-purchase it. It is like saying that you can have a Rolls Royce, but without the interior or motor. Feeling kind of cheated. The whole show is THE show!! Every G3, Vai, Satriani, and Malmsteen fan would support me on this. Like I said before, I am glad for the DVD, but disappointed as well. I am not trying to be negative, but honest. Put out the whole show, and you all could make more money and your fans would again purchase this, and all of us could be happy!! If you don't, I will still be satisfied!! Thanks again!!!

VX
slapgup

WHOLE SHOW WHOLE SHOW WHOLE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!
badasstommyboy

i thought it was great, I enjoyed joes set the most. He's just fantastic. Yngwie was quite cool, and so was Vai, the triple neck song was cool, although to be honest, i started to get a little bored of all the tappety tap tapping in Vai's section, and the shreddety shred shred in yngwie section. Joe was the star of this show. I prefer the other G3 dvd,, the 1996 one, it just seemed like they were all having fun and just really enjoying it, for some reason i get the vibe that there was a clash of ego's on this tour, and that the feelings there were not all good ones, quite a negative vibe, although it may just be me. Just my opinion.
Maxx
Newcomer

Ok everyone, Ive heard your input and I agree with the negatives.
As a Satriani -Vai fan I think that Starry Night is the best Joe offering.
Steve is Steve, but what was the song he played live that just rocked, it was about half way through the show, and I didnt recognize it.

Yngwie was the big surprise. Didnt like him during the show in Toronto (too
widdly-widdly) but boy Im very impressed now that I see the DVD. This fat Swede can really play how a Strat should sound. Its that attack that he has that makes him eclipse Ritchie Blackmore with ease.

Steve spent a good 20 mins. talking with me and my son after the show and I love him even more for being down to earth and very conversational
(next to the fan-atics) that wanted to know verbatim what he quoted in some magazine in 1991.

Next time how about Steve morse or Eddie Van Halen for the 3rd.
jenarom

I also vote to have the WHOLE show on DVD, at least.

I've seen plenty of movies that are re-released on DVD with more extras.
Maybe they didn't film rehearsals, soundchecks, backstage, or whatever, so that opportunity is lost.

But, we can still get the whole show. I will gladly rebuy the DVD if it gets released. Maybe in the summer/fall time frame? :)

Another idea, but I don't know if its possible with Sony Epic, is that Steve releases just his complete set on DVD. Of course, I prefer to have all 3 Gs.
badasstommyboy

listening to the Jams a bit more, I really enjoy yngwies blues stuff. Its very different and just really alive.