VAI-Tunes Audio and Video Downloads (UPDATED 4 OCTOBER '06)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

HI Folks,

Here's an update on the downloads store: It's literally just days away. Just ironing out a few little issues before we launch.

Here's how it will work. To puchase music or videos, you'll need to either have a credit card or a Paypal account. I''m trying to make it easy for everyone. Paypal makes the store accessible to those who don't have a credit card. All you need for Paypal is a bank account.

Initially, we'll launch with two or three songs. At least two of the songs will be completely unreleased. We're thinking of including some rare hard-to-find tunes too. All tunes will be provided initially in 256K AAC files. You can play these files with iTunes or any other popular digital music player. 256K AAC is extremely high quality - virtually indistinguishable from CD audio.

In the coming weeks I'll begin adding video. The first video I'm planning to add is a video of Steve playing "For The Love Of God" at last year's G3 show in Montreal. It has a lot of close-ups on Steve's hands. I shot this video with one camera, but I think you'll find it captures all the details you want to see!

Thanks for your suggestions regarding other things you'd like to see. I'll be taking those requests into consideration for the future.

Most all of the downloads will cost 99c. If we include very large video downloads, the price may be a little bit higher. We'll be exploring this as we begin.

Your feedback will be very important during the "beta" phase - so let me know what you think! The more feedback I get, the more I can try to deliver the things you'd like to see and hear!

By patronizing the Vai.com Download store, you're supporting Steve AND Vai.com, and we're very thankful for that. The more popular the store the more we'll put into it!

Lastly, we ask you to not share the files on online sharing services. As I said above, the more successful the store is, the better it will get :)

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mikey,
A practical question. Are these host on a diffrent server?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Yes. The download from this server would be way too taxing.

:)

Mikey :)
vai.com
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool... :)
Got my paypal account ready for take off.

Thanks,
:)
RickAllen

That sounds very cool, especially the Montreal video.(I was there) I think you should make the entire concert available.Thanks.
badasstommyboy

a live version of tender surrender would be fantastic. I've yet to see him play that live anywhere.
davester1234

The davester household is ready for the vai.com online music shop.

Bring it on Mikey, Bring it on :twisted:
mwahahaha!!

How exciting! :D
Andelusion

Hey Mikey, i'm on dial-up 56k unfortunately as i can't get broadband where i live. I'll be wanting to make use of the download section you're putting up soon.

I'm wondering, if you pay for a certain download will you have a specific amount of time to download it? For instance if you get disconnected, the download stops, will you have to pay again to try downloading it? It will take a long time to download especially video on my 56k so i'll be downloading over night.

If i get cut off will i have to pay again?

Cheers.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

You'll only be able to download the file once. If you only partially download the track you'll be able to download it again - as long as you don't close your browser window.

Mikey
vai.com
Andelusion

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Can't wait for this :)
GTR-MAN

I'm all set, got broadband and PayPal. Bring it on! I'm really looking forward to it all, especially the vids. :D
ROCK KITTEN 76

i'm in uk how do i go about getting paypal?
ROCK KITTEN 76

oh set up one now all i need to do is put some cash in there..cool yep i'll be ready soon 8)
Vaiguy03
Newcomer

Whats the latest news Mikey, Im anxiously awaiting this new incredibly cool feature. Everyday when I start my Mac up I check to see if you got it working. So please, take the guess work out of my day and let us know! Thanks for all your doing, it's a really cool idea and I know it takes a lot of work, just know that we all really appreciate it!

Peace
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Not much longer. We've been testing it. Originally I was going to make the audio available in AAC format. But it seems that unless you're using iTunes on a PC, you can't hear it properly on a Windows machine.

So.. I'm going to give people the option of choosing either MP3 or AAC for audio downloads. AAC is better quality, but you'll need iTunes on Windows. Both files will be encoded at 256k.

As I think I said above, when we open the store, we'll have two tracks available. We'll add to that after a week or two of just making sure that everything is running smoothly.

Mikey :)
vai.com