VAI-Tunes Audio and Video Downloads (UPDATED 4 OCTOBER '06)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Xavier

Mikey, I've bought all of Steve Vai's CDs and videos from credible stores but I'm wondering about how much money Steve sees from the purchases of his merchandise?

I was told most bands make their money from touring not CD sales. Only bands like Metallica make approximately a dollar from each CD they sell while others only make less than that.
epi-phoney

Another way to save on bandwidth with be to setup a bittorrent of some media with an upload limit. ;)
Corrado

great idea.
you could sell through vai.com some "non-album" things... songs that can't be in a normal Vai album but which are valuable for fans.
i have all the cds, dvds, the box set, shirts and so on.... so this new chance of listening to Vai is very welcome!

Corrado.
genixia
Newcomer

Great idea! Can we start with all the Japanese bonus tracks? (And whatever happened to the Fire-strings recording?)

256Kbps mp3 sounds perfect.
MikeF
Newcomer

Mikey, this is an outstanding idea. I'd participate. However, while bandwidth is a problem, I would prefer that the audio be wav and not mp-3.
lestato
Newcomer

I like the idea of exclusive videos available at Vai.com. How about transcriptions we could download and print off?
RickAllen

I think it's a great idea. Also I think we should be able to download entire concerts. Metallica are offering that now and so are Barenaked Ladies. Barenaked Ladies are charging around $13 per show. Though you can also mix and match I think. That would be great if you could go download the show you went , or the one you wish you could've gone to. Same goes for video. Though I'm not interested in "MTV style videos" Just live stuff or studio stuff. Also there's no record company getting all the $$$.
jem777dy

I believe that it is an excellent way to promote rare songs and footage of Steve! :)
Jai0705

So, this thread has been goin for awhile now. Can you give us an update Mikey? Is anything in the works yet for this?
Jai0705

MikeF wrote:Mikey, this is an outstanding idea. I'd participate. However, while bandwidth is a problem, I would prefer that the audio be wav and not mp-3.
This is almost impossible due to the sheer size of .wav files. Do you really find that quality improves that much with .wav? I can never hear much of a difference from .mp3 or .wav. Anyway, as far as practicality is concerned, mp3 is really the only way to go as far as audio on the web.
JDouglee

Do like Metallica did...use FLAC files. They compress WAV files for transmission over the internet. No lossy MP3.

MP3 doesn't sound so great to my ears, but maybe keep it for dial up users.
u2

I don't think this is a good idea though because umm...there are soo many people out there like me who do not work or have a job and they won't really know how to use online paying like paypal etc and they would really love to share the same ability to view audio and video online.
ScreamJem7

I'd welcome the idea.

A buck per file isn't that expensive when you consider the fact that you're getting an exclusive video.

True fans will pay to get the files. It's not that expensive when you consider that some folks are paying up to $2 just to download a Nelly or Britney ringtone for their cell phones.
vaigod

Yo Mikey

I think its a GREAT idea barring the fact that the videos would be in GOOD quality and its stuff that is NOT already out there. I would def. pay for a service like that. Maybe even at times have buy 1 get 1 free?? LOL.
I would love to see really old old Vai material. :D

Just my lil opinion...

~D