VAI-Tunes Audio and Video Downloads (UPDATED 4 OCTOBER '06)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

VAI-Tunes Audio and Video Downloads (UPDATED 4 OCTOBER '06)

#1 Post by Mikey » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:20 pm

What would you think about a pay-per-download section on Vai.com that contained exclusive songs and video not available anywhere else?

Songs would be .99c and videos would probably cost the same (depending on length).

You could pay with a Credit Card or Paypal. We may even feature bulk downloads.. like, for example, 12 songs for $10 etc.

There will still be a free videos section on Vai.com featuring Steve's promo video clips and more.. but we thought we'd expand it, while covering our hefty bandwidth costs.

Audio would most probably be in 256K MP3 format, or 192K AAC. Video would be in Quicktime 6.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Manu_777

#2 Post by Manu_777 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:38 pm

Steve doesn't earn allready enough money ?

jmchambers5

#3 Post by jmchambers5 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:49 pm

I think it'd be a good idea. It'd be a great way to get otherwise unreleasable material out, and 99c is change, who cares?

Evil Betty

#4 Post by Evil Betty » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:11 pm

Manu_777 wrote:Steve doesn't earn allready enough money ?
Huh? What is the point of that comment?

Your attitude blows, dude.

Grow up.

E.B

P.S. I think it's a great idea. 99c is pocket change that I take out of my jeans and put in a jar every night.

davester1234

#5 Post by davester1234 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:36 pm

I say this, and this is just MHO:

If it works for Steve and the site, it works for me. :)

It would be cool if the 'pay' items are stuff you can't get anywhere else. For instance, I'd gladlly pay for a 1 minute clip of Steve noodling, or showing off some of his gear, or anything else that interests him or that he feels is appropriate.

I bet things like that would both help with the upkeeping of the site, and keep everyones interest. If it brings the fans a little closer to Steve, it's bound to be successful.

wintonsmith1984

#6 Post by wintonsmith1984 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:56 pm

It would be really great !!! 8)

Bono

#7 Post by Bono » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:02 pm

Depends...I for one am not really bothered about music vids, but any of the following is a big yes:
Any live stuff (I am longing for the Ultra Zone Bulgarian official release...)
Any unreleased stuff/alternate stuff (How bout Steve re-doing the crossroads stuff?)
Tours of stevie stuff (like Steve showing us his guitars, studios, home etc). 99c per thing is fine with me...thats about 60p in English money...best thing you can buy for 60p over here is a plectrum lol.

Edit - another thing you're going to have to think about is file sharing...if something is available on a p2p network, I'd guess most people would download it rather than paying for it. Personally I'd pay for it but its still a worry...

John

#8 Post by John » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:37 pm

Awesome idea - I would definitely pay.
Also having the videos in .avi format would be really cool btw.

justcb7

#9 Post by justcb7 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:42 pm

i dont like the idea of paying for this the videos have been down for ages and just been added back on well sort of im not trying to be mean genuinely im a huge vai fan for 13 years i love the music as we all do but providing rare stuff for the site that is free would be verry welcomed by the fans manu 777 has got a point though im not gonna shoot him down in flames by doing it for free would strengthen the fanbase, the ammount ive spent on vai suff is unreal trust me and a hell of a lot of money on following tours.
i think that the otherside of the coin is that its steves music, and no such thing as a free dinner, but he has enough money lets not foreget everyone on these boards has the london dvd pretty much, and are more than likely gonna have the new g3 dvd, steve has favoured nations as well, not sure its the best idea for the fans. ps zappa had this idea 15 years ago.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#10 Post by Mikey » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:43 pm

Filesharing is an issue, however I'm hoping that most people will do the honorable thing and just pay 99c. It won't be hard for people either because they don't need to have a credit card. They can use PayPal.

Prince did a similar thing with his website for a couple of years, and surprisingly little showed up on filesharing services. That was because people paid a pretty penny for a yearly subscription, and were less likely to give something away for free after they paid for it. There was also a sense of strong support for the artist.

We're not considering putting music videos up there - especially anything we've had here for free. But unreleased music videos might be an option.

Here are some other things we're discussing:

- Demos/early versions of songs
- Unreleased songs
- Concert footage
- Rehearsal footage

Keep your thoughts and opinions coming! It's feedback from you that will help shape this area of the site... and help me deliver exactly what you're after!

Peace and thanx,

Mikey :)
vai.com

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#11 Post by Mikey » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:47 pm

justcb7 wrote:i dont like the idea of paying for this the videos have been down for ages and just been added back
Read my original post. Nothing that has already been available on the site for free will be included in the pay-per-download section. The free videos section of Vai.com will continue as normal - and rotate videos on a regular basis.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

John

#12 Post by John » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:57 pm

Mikey wrote: Here are some other things we're discussing:

- Demos/early versions of songs
- Unreleased songs
- Concert footage
- Rehearsal footage
RIGHT-ON! :D
A yearly subscription would be a cool thing.

SlickXQ

Awesome idea

#13 Post by SlickXQ » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:17 pm

I'd gladly buy some of these downloads. Only, would it be possible to say, have a sample of a song or video before it was purchased. Just incase its not what one wanted to keep they wouldn't have to have payed for it(not that I wouldn't like anything vai did lol) you know, like a 30second clip or something.
-Nik

davester1234

#14 Post by davester1234 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:19 pm

yeah, a yearly subscription would be cool. a one time pay would fit us in for the year.
But of course, there would have to be a steady stream of udpates to keep people happy. Otherwise there might be a mutiny :shock:

But Mikey's been doing an excellent job thus far, so unless he plans to leave the vai camp, I don't see that as being a problem

SRVoodoo

#15 Post by SRVoodoo » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:27 pm

I think it's a great idea!
We're always starving for new material.
I think that "slick" has a valid point about the video preview.
Although,... it IS only .99!
I dunno.
"If you build it, they will come"
Peace
..and love and good happiness stuff :wink: