How did you discover Vai ??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
wilch

Matthew wrote: I hold that exact issue in my hand. Thats where I heard of Joe Satriani for the first time in the 90's. Unfortunatley, the cover is missing as well as the poster.
I still have the poster :D
Did both of your cover's fall off? There's a second cover that has "...NOT!" on it after you open the first "SHRED IS DEAD..." one.

wil..
Matthew

Yes, both are gone. A few of the ad's in the front are gone as well.
Massacre

I was reading a page in GW mag. And they where talkin about steves whammy bar work.
screwball

My cousin who's crazy about the guitar lent me Crossroads to watch because I started to learn the guitar about six months ago and I just thought that steve was an amazing guitarist. Now I have got 4 of his CD's and still collecting. :lol:
the love of god 999
Newcomer

my teacher was a big fan,i am a fan of my teacher,so i became a fan of Mr VAI.that simple :twisted:
ds23pallas

I first heard about Steve in 1993. November 1993, from the following two magazines.
Blimey - I remember buying both those magazines, I had that first one on my wall for a long time :D

I first heard of Vai after listening to Surfing with the Alien; I was blown away by Satriani and started reading more about him, then I discovered Vai and hated him. Took me a couple of years to get into Vai, mainly by way of Passion and Warfare. After about 6 weeks Passion and Warfare was pretty much the only thing on my stereo and since then I've grown to like Vai a lot more than Satch. (There was a time when I'd never have thought that!)
shacks

For me it was 1990. It was actually seeing the Satch Big Bad Moon video on TV and from that I bought Satch's FIABD album and my appreciation for instrumental guitar music began. Not long after P&W was released, I bought it then the two D L Roth albums and the rest is history...
EyE

It was in 1985. I was 14 then and i was listening to this radio-show (Import Radio) where they played 3 tracks of "Flex-Able".
Viv Woman, Call it Sleep and Junkie. Man, i was hooked!!! Since then i fallowed his career.
EyE

BTW, At the same time i started getting hold on Satch to. First song i've ever heard of Satch was "Rubina". Got Not of this Earth on tape and it over and over again. Remember the FlexiDisk in Guitar World with "The Crush of Love". Thought the intro of the song was out of this world.
guinea_pig
Newcomer

hrm, hum, i actually discovered Steve Vai through a game, F1, im so ashamed... sorry steve! :oops: sigh, through a game.... Formula 1, i heard one of the songs and he had me, to me, he's one of the greatest guitarists in the world..
jenarom

I remember Steve first from "Yankee Rose", Crossroads, and Whitesnake, but at that time I wasn't exactly "Steve Vai aware".

What really got me into this was a song from White Lion, called "Blue Monday", which is a tribute to SRV, from WL's guitarist Vitto Bratta (whatever happened to him?).

I was so impressed by that song, that I asked a friend of mine (guitar player) if he knew if there is such a thing as instrumental rock. He told me that somebody recommended him a guitarist called Steve Vai, and said: remember the guy that played the national anthem at the MTV baseball game some years ago?

It was 1991, and I went to the store and bought P&W.

I was blown away. Hooked for life.

From Steve I got to other players, like Satriani, Johnson, etc. I have over 200 instrumental rock CDs, and I don't even play the guitar.

It's the only music I have in my car. Almost no radio. Just Vai, and other guitar players, but Vai is always there.

Since P&W, I buy Steve's music the day it is released. I'm always anxious to listen to new Vai music.

Now, I got my brother, wife, kids, and some friends listening to Vai music. It really changed my life. Thanks, Steve!
Blazeneon
Newcomer

I was 13 in 1986, and listening to the Radio 1 rock show with Tommy Vance. He was playing the usual stuff, THEN, along came "Yankee Rose"!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I then proceeded to purchase everything I could find, including the entire FZ back catalogue in the hope Steve was on more records!

Been a devoted fan ever since!

Blaze. 8)
Angiezey
Newcomer

In fact they were talking about a guitar contest on a radio station.The prize for the winner would be playing on stage with Steve Vai who was comming to Mexico.I was curious about it but I did not know how the story ended.At that time as now I was hooked with Brian May´s (Queen) guitar playing.A few years later my little brother started collecting rock music and then once I heard the cd Sex and religion , it was "In my dreams with you" first, then "State of Grace", next from another cd the magnificent "In the love of God", and some more which are extraordinary guitar masterpieces .I just definitely love his playing, his style is unique.I was so lucky to see him live in Mexico in 2000 and his show, after Queen, is one of the best I have ever see.These lines are for Mr Vai in case he reads them or somebody tells him about our messages:Thank you Steve for sharing your art with us.Thank you for your impressive music.And yes, I am a woman and I do not paly the guitar but I love it. I am hooked with your music .
Best wishes from México,
Angiezey
jem777dy

I have only recently heard Steve Vai. My high school teacher who also gives me guitar lessons brought Steve Vai to my attention. Now I worship the man. Passion & Warfare is my single most favorite album of all time. I recently purchased my teachers old guitar, a Jem777DY and it kicks ass!
Rootwitch
Newcomer

1986 or '87, I was 16 or 17, and just started taking guitar lessons after a few years of teaching myself. I was heavy into VH, and my guitar teacher gave me two tapes, and said, "Check this guy out, I think you'll like him". One was DLR Eat 'Em and Smile, the other was a bootleg of Steve's band (777). It was about 2 hours of Steve, Stu Hamm on bass, and Chris Frasier on drums. Ripped my head off. Hooked ever since.