How did you discover Vai ??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
guyzif

I'd read a few guitar magizines and other guitarists I liked had name checked him. I thought I'd buy one of his cd's just to see. When I buy a new group or artist I get the cheapest cd with the most amount of songs. It was P&W...
guyzif

I'd read a few guitar magizines and other guitarists I liked had name checked him. I thought I'd buy one of his cd's just to see. When I buy a new group or artist I get the cheapest cd with the most amount of songs. It was P&W...
guyzif

Sory about the TRIPLE post. My pc was screwing up.
Ivar

I was looking on the website www.guitar.com and there was an artivle about STeve and his new CD the 7th song.

The same day I bought that album and i was hooked. Not much later I discovered Satriani... It did wonders for my musical taste and guitar playing, I always thought I was an okay guitar player, but thanks to mr. Vai and Satriani I realized I sucked. I still suck, but not as much as I used to.
Upcoming_Shredder
Newcomer

guitar_fan wrote:my dad put on passion and warfare in the car, but didn't do much to me the first time. until one boxing day where we bought the g3 concert dvd in hmv. i have never seen such an entertaining guitarist before. so i pick up the p&w and it just kept growing on me, and the next thing you know, i'm obsessed with vai and satch :mrgreen:
That was a lot like me except my Dad put on Surfing with the Alien, but I didn't care much until I started playing, then I remebered "satriani" and from then on I've been hooked since .
The Prez

My dad showed me the Surfing CD, but he showed it to me because the silver surfer was on it, so i listened to it.
Ryan Layton
Banned

i started playing guitar because of Ace Frehley. My uncle said "well if you are gonna play, you better be good" and gave me a list of guitarst and a hand full of cds. one was S&R and one was P&W. I dug S&R a bit more becasue it had words, then i focused on the guitar playing and concentrated on P&W. The Audience Is Listening hooked me.

I now credit Vai with making me play the way I do. Without him, i woulndt have wanted to learn my theory.
crazy_potato_head
Newcomer

Hey

I heard of Vai from my cousins who brought a video they taped over to the house about 3 years ago in 2001. It was crossoads....need I say more?? I didnt know at the time but i was instantly infatuated with the karate kid beatin someone older than him :P I was like "TAKE THAT OLD TIMER!" and my bubble was bursted when they said "Steve Vai plays/made that u dope!" So i looked into him and got really hooked after seeing the video for tender surrender!!

I was even more impressed learning that hes a weirdo......lol j/k...sry Steve!!
Wazzup
Newcomer

I just discovered him a month ago, I was into John Petrucci etc. when I heard of the G3 project and about a guitar player named Steve Vai. Went to K*a*z*a*a and downloaded the first song I saw, fortunately it was The Attidtude Song and since then I'm hooked on Steve Vai and I'm trying to get al his albums. Best guitarist ever, no doubt.
The bad horsie
Newcomer

I bought a G3 DVD quite randomly one day and voilla!
tim505
Newcomer

about 10 years ago, when I was starting to play guitar. A friend of mine was really into blues, he hated heavy-metal and shred in general. We watched crossroads together, in awe of the ending duel. And I asked my friend "who the hell is that guy playing the devil's advocate?' "Well it's Steve Vai" my friend answered, "I hate his vibrato and distorted guitar sound, he's got no feeling he's just technical that's all" and I told him " Are you joking?! That's the most awesome thing I've ever heard! I LOVE that sound!'. After that I was hooked and my blues friend didn't want to play guitar with me anymore after I had learnt loads of Vai licks LOL.
christianaschiller
Newcomer

my brother started playin guitar, and listening then mimicing, well trying to mimic steve vai and joe satriani.. thats how i heard of him.. i love his music, and i felt inspired to learn how to play guitar but i havent picked up my blue guitar yet.. :twisted:
wilch

Hi guys, I'm new here :)

I first heard about Steve in 1993. November 1993, from the following two magazines.

Article here

and

Article here (page1)

Article here (page2)

wil..
wilch

I'm not sure why, but the very first instrumental cd's I ever bought, and I bought them at the same time, were Steve Vai Passion & Warfare and Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien.

I guess I saw both on that shred hall of fame list and then saw both at the shops together, and bought them that week of getting those two magazines.

I haven't looked back since. :)
Matthew

wilch wrote:Hi guys, I'm new here :)

Article here (page1)

Article here (page2)

wil..
I hold that exact issue in my hand. Thats where I heard of Joe Satriani for the first time in the 90's. Unfortunatley, the cover is missing as well as the poster.