How did you discover Vai ??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Thereasonulive

I remember when I was learning to play guitar,just starting out, and my mum got me this book called "how to bluff rock guitar" and they had famous players like Jimi, Joe, Jeff beck, Eddie V, Brain may and..ta da, Steve vai! it sed "a good starting point would be to listen to For the love of god from Passion and Warfare" so when i had the CD as a present i listened to For The Love Of God while i drifted off to sleep and... tears of joy filled my eyes when i heard it. I was just stunned!

I was lying just thinking and weeping "where the @!"£$%:?\:@{~ have i been all my life!?!" i listened to the whole album and tried to learn every note of the album, especially For the love of god, i would listen to that finger bleeding solo in FTLOG while i played along to it and just played as fast as possible and still being nowhere near the speed steve was. i didnt leave my room for 9 days (thank god it was summer!) until i played the whole CD perfect. From then on, i got everything he was involved in, from his creative work with frank (muffin man) zappa to Real reflections. Sadly i didnt get the 10 CD-box set :(. but i will never stop listen to his music...ever. :D

So i'd like to thank my mum who got me that book ( check it out "How to bluff rock guitar") my genius idea to buy a guitar rather than to go to spain on holiday and finally, not forgetting, Steve (genius beyond words) Vai.

So Steve, if your reading this message, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for opening my eyes to a whole World...no, a whole universe..no a whole Dimension of music, everything from aggressive metal shredding sounds to blissful sweet tender sounds that you can create with your brain.

I cannot thank you enough, if it wasnt for you, I'd be stuck in my room playing Greenday and Nirvana 8 hours a day. haha
Ray Lindsley
Newcomer

I have always loved blues guitar and in the late 80's I saw Crossroads. Steve just blew me away when I saw the headcutting duel. It inspired me to take up guitar playing and I have been a huge fan ever since.
S.V_is_god88

I discovered him by flicking through a copy of total guitar (uk). I kept seeing his name pop up and saw he was very highly regarded. I then bought his anthology and never looked back.
Magnifico

my guitar teacher intruced me to steve vai's work by teaching how to play the first part of for the love of god, I was so amazed by that piece that I went on a journey to hear every thing he ever recorded!

only thing missing on my "vai wish list"is seeing a vai show but i have no idea when thats gonna happen since i live in Israel.
Stukman
Newcomer

I had bought the Satch's live in San fransisco dvd then my friend went out and got the first g3 dvd, at the time we both new about steve vai but we hadnt seen him live or much of him at all. I remember on a school morning my friend comes up to me and goes :shock: OH MAN U HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS GUY PLAY HE'S FREAKIN NUTS!!! that day after school was life changing for me musically. Ill never forget that day.

Thank you steve!!!
baladev
Newcomer

I first discovered Vai in 1997 after a schoolmate of mine lend me his G3 cassette tape. I was not interested at first because the album cover is not guitar virtuosity-looked and I was currently hooked to nirvana music. I was a guitarist in my band then. I first listened the side B of the tape and I hear the 'Answers'. My first impression of that song was it is played by a virtuoso and born-to-be-guitarist fellow. More after that song it was like The Queen is playing, then I hear tapping and speed picking I was totally amused and jaw-dropped. Then 'For The Love Of God' was sung, I was totally amazed at this piece of music, it really sounds from a successful concert of a guitar virtuoso. Since then Vai was not removed from my life anymore. I am more impressed of Steve than Satriani. Mabuhay! (Long live!) :) 8) :P
Glorious

I must be the latest cookie.I got there with Real Illusions:Reflections but the first songs I heard were For The Love Of God and Boston Rain Melody.I remember coming across Steve Vai's name a dozen of times but never paid attention to it.His music came to me when I started attending my private guitar classes.God bledd Internet!Lol...It's amazing how life changes in a blink of an eye.
norway_guitarist

First I heard of him... Think it was when I was searching for "guitar duel". Just saw his name and downloaded the video. It was just awesome! I didn't believe it was possible to play a guitar that well :o
And now I'm trying to learn some of his songs (simplified of course).

He is the world's gretest guitarist ever!
fyrie

I first saw him on the Just Like Paradise video. I didn't play guitar at the time, so the heart guitar is really all that stuck with me at the time. When Slip of the Tongue came around I had picked up the guitar. When he threw the guitar down on the stage and did the tapping run, I was like... HOLY F***!!! I've been a fan ever since. I have to admit though that even at the moment, it wasn't about the technique for me, but rather the sound. Brian May was the first guitarist that made my ears perk up because he sounded so different. Vai was the second.
galan

I think my 4 year old sister geve me the passion and warfare cd for chritmas, she just picked it out from a bunch of cd's at the record store!
valkor

Early 1990, I remember MTV doing some special and they had some guys talking about Steve and how Passion and Warfare was coming out.
I remember seeing "TOTAL RECALL" at the Movie theater,falling in love with sharon stone. Then picking up PASSION and WARFARE and everything was clearer. I still have my old light without heat Tshirts and old school newsletters and Steve even sent me an autographed picture back in the day!
The Reaper

In 2003, I heard For The Love of God and Bad Horsie. I thought both songs were incredible and I was interested in hearing more. Then I saw Steve's performance on G3 Live In Denver which made me hooked. I was really amazed so I went and bought the Anthology. I became a Big Vai fan once I listened to that album. Then history goes on from there and I saw Steve in March(best show I've ever seen).
ZaHACKieL

I am 21 and i've been listening to Vai since I was 10.....I was a big Satch fan (i still am) and I knew Vai because he was satch's student and that stuff, but one day I found a sex & religion cassette and went to bed....next morning I was like :shock: :shock: ....saying, OMG....what was that?? such great music!! after that, I became a huge fan!

ZaHACKieL
cnc74

My dad is a Berklee grad. So, I had no choice but to grow up with music. My parents had me listening to classical, and instrumentals while I was in my crib.
Anyway, when I was 10, I saw an ad for Flexable in my dad's guitar magazine. I thought the pic was so cool with the neck of the guitar bent over. I told my dad, "I want that record". The rest is history.
:guitar :guitar :guitar
Seraphim

I follow his music since Zappa days!!!
When I saw him playin the guitar at that time i "saw" that he's gonna be a guitar-hero and a hell of a composer!!!
My feeling never get me wrong!!!

:idea: BTW (The same happens when I saw Mike Keneally live in the 1988 tour...) :idea: