How did you discover Vai ??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
gitarrenandi
Newcomer

I discovered Steve Vai by the Crossroads Festival from
Eric Clapton and after 3 years after i have all CD´s from him and
I was on a Steve Vai concert and i was the best concert that
I have ever been before
tricep
Newcomer

I used to buy Guitar Player magazine many,many moons ago. There was an issue with a plastic record in the middle. It was square. You would pull it out of the mag just like you would an advertisement. On this particular record was Steve Vai's "Blue Powder"...

I was a fan from that time on.

I saw him do his own set in the middle of a Whitesnake concert. I actually even met and jammed with Steve at a NAMM show in Anaheim, California. Nobody really knew who he was then. Lets put it this way--people were not attacking him like they were Jake E Lee, Robin Crosby, and Eddie Van Halen.

We were all multiply plugged into a Mesa Boogie amp. We could take turns playing and listening to eachother through headphones. Steve sat down and started jamming with me. The only outstanding thing that I remember was the circular vibrato motion he used with his fingers. I thought it was weird and really couldnt hear what it was doing. I see he still does it today. It is a great visual, if nothing else.

Steve was not dressed flashy. He did not have the facade that the other guitarist's had. He was not "acting" like a 'Rockstar'

Funny thing...irony, I suppose. He is the only one at the top of the food chain today by comparison.

I have no idea where Ratt and all the rest of the 'stars' have gone.
boswell

tricep wrote: We were all multiply plugged into a Mesa Boogie amp. We could take turns playing and listening to eachother through headphones. Steve sat down and started jamming with me. The only outstanding thing that I remember was the circular vibrato motion he used with his fingers. I thought it was weird and really couldnt hear what it was doing. I see he still does it today. It is a great visual, if nothing else.
Cool story 8)

Have you seen Steve's explanation of his vibrato?

www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/vibrato.html

CIRCULAR VIBRATO

This is my favorite, for it lends itself to the most mellifluous expression. In this technique, your finger moves in a circular motion on the string. Start by pushing the string forward, then pulling it down a bit. In the process, release the tension from pushing. Then pull the string back and follow by pushing it “towards the sky”. What you’re doing is combining both types 1 and 2, creating a circular motion with the original fretted position being the center.

The reason I’m so fond of this vibrato is that it helps keep your intonation in perspective. The note will go both sharp and flat in the vibratory process. The width and the speed are easy to control.

When practicing these vibratos, start slowly and smoothly. Stay slow but get really wide. Then try fast but skinny vibrato, then fast and wide. Think about being as sensitive as you can. Then try it as harsh and fast as you can without having your finger fall off the guitar (actually, let it fall off if you like).
TheRocKsTaR777

I first heard of steve's music through a friend of mine..I used to be really into metallica,santana,hendrix,different stuff..and One day this friend of mine who grew up with me(also a guitarist) came over one day and played his guitar and played flying in a blue dream by satriani,I thought it was really awesome,so he took out 3 cds out of his backpack..flying in a blue dream,crystal planet,and steve vai's fire garden..I was blown away by all 3 albums,never had I heard such music! I was even more blown away with fire garden,so I got really hooked and have followed Vai's music since..bought the G3 DVDs..cds,etc...funny I remember when I first started listening to steve I remember thinking ''this is my new favorite guitarist'' and dreaming of one day being able to play some of his riffs and owning his guitar..I ended getting my jem 2 yrs ago and still look back on the days when I first found out about Steve Vai.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

One day while I was skipping stones across a shallow creek. There was this one stone that stood out from amongst the rest. There was a small light radiating outward from underneath the rock. And it was gently shaking. I was fascinated with the rock so I moved to pick it up. And what do I see underneath the rock? Its Mr. Vai in leprechaun form. He's been trapped inside a little whiskey bottle but he still had his guitar. He asked me if I would help free him and I said yes. He asked me to tap my heels together 3 times while chanting, "Theres no place like home." So I did as Mr. Vai asked and all of a sudden he magically appears out of the bottle. And the rest is history.
Evai

I first heard him from Youtube... Before the old videos were removed, you could search 'Guitar' and Vai would be on the first page.. Pretty hard not to 'Discover' his music that way :)
blsabob

Frank Zappa. Uptown Theater. Chicago. November 1980