How did you discover Vai ??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Glorious

What a scary discovery,Seraphim! :D
1118916GB

I downloaded the 7 String demo and was like "Whoa who is that? It sounds so awesome". In the middle of the song he does this nice lick that sounds really out there and I said "I have to find out who this guy is"
firebird
Newcomer

I first discovered Vai at the concert Real illusions:Reflections - 16 nov. , Sofia, Bulgaria.
I received a gift from one of the best Bulgarian guitarists - a ticket for the Steve's concert.
This concert was amazing, fantastic, I have never heard a guitar like this, and I have never seen a virtuose like Steve. I was listening Whispering a Prayer - Steve, in blue light, was incredible... His music touched a string in my soul...
I understood I have received much more than just a ticket, but a real treasure - Vai's music :-)
I'm so thankful for this gift, this is the best gift, that I have ever received :-) :-) :-)
Seraphim

Glorious wrote:What a scary discovery,Seraphim! :D
LOL
Scary??? Not to scary...!!! Scary have Steve Vai when discover me... :lol:
I have a picture with him but I can't put here, because is forum is full of that pictures... :lol:
Ok, I gonna put, no, let's don't... 8)
adds3566

I Liked Van Halen and when DLR left the band I checked out his new album Eat 'Em and Smile having heard Steve doing his talking guitar part on the first track and the rest is history!
rock'n'rollqueen
Newcomer

Intresting. I honestly don't remember. My brother is a musician and I remember that I used to watch the viodeos of Vai's workouts with him. I remember The Crossroads as well. Great movie! One of my favs! Also, some videos like "For the love of God", which is still my favourite Vai's number. Anyway, it was all a long time ago. Some 15 years ago.
lotus_girl

when i was little and had to share a room with my brother, i had to listen to his music when i went to sleep all night till morning... did i say that my very first adult song that i liked, was when i was 4 years old, was always with me always with you.
pbak

I first saw Steve with Frank at Hammersmith back in June 1982.

I then read an article in a music magazine in the early 90's, bought

Passion & Warfare and have been a huge fan ever since.

My favourite concerts were with the Orchestra in Amsterdam in 2004.

Looking forward to the release of Fire Strings some time soon.
czarkhan
Newcomer

Iam a Van Halen Fan, when David lee roth left he formed his new group and introduced mr.Vai...and I sai WOW!
abdullah_salman
Newcomer

M not such an old fan of VAi like a very new fan :) Well a friend of mine put on the G3 vid of For the Love of God n man his performance i never saw nethn like it n frm tht onwards i'm a big fan of his
Leanne_777

I discovered Steve outside my house in the bushes...............Seriously though, my brother was into him and I caught the fever!
{TKG}MALICE

i first heard steve on bill and ted, i was sittin there, and i had just gotten into guitar, and all of the sudden that song came on with kiss and such, and i was like ... omg... i gotta learn to play that, and i looked it up and it said steve vai, and i was hooked ever sence
Freek Show XS

Well One Day i was talkin to a friend about guitars and i brought up Joe Satriani. He mentioned Steve Vai so i went out and bought a G3 DVD and the rest is history.
Funnily enough i had heard Steve before and never knew it. Like
Bill & Ted and Vice City
So there you go. Recently i found out a friend of mine had worked with Steve. :guitar
if6was9

I had one friend that played me 'Now You're Gone' from Slip of The Tongue. I really liked that tapping part in the solo and i decided to do some research on the guy that played 'that nice part'. Then i got 'Live at Astoria' and from there i started getting everything that i could put my hands on.
Tomsangel

I once had a really hot guitar teacher, long hair, nice little beard, long nose... (i sometimes accuse him that he wants to look like Steve) and he was really into this kinda Vai thing. And coz I had a huge crush on him (guitar teacher, not Vai at that stage) I went along to a Vai concert (I didn't know one song then). AND I LOVED IT. I was just standing there with my mouth hanging open for the whole twoandahalf hours. I couldn't believe that someone could do that to, no with a guitar. That was five years ago, almost six and since then...