NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Prezidentman

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#16 Post by Prezidentman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:52 am

dc27 wrote:Personally I don't really care for a record of just noodling. I think Vai has nothing to prove technically, and I'd much prefer something more compositional like the final instalment of Real Illusions. Alien Love Secrets was a great record, but it has its place imo :ugeek: :lol:
I get what you're saying but I don't think Steve has ever released a record of "just noodling" and I don't think he ever will. That's not who he is and his music has always been more complex than just instrumental shred. I think what he just wanted to focus on the guitar more on this new album.
Let's face it, he's done a lot of compostional records over the last couple of decades but hasn't done a record like ALS since 1995. It'd be happy to hear any new music but I'm really excited to get another record like Alien Love Secrets because to this day I think some of his best music and playing is on that record.

RAIN
Newcomer

#17 Post by RAIN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 am

Real Illusions 2005
Story of Light 2012
2018? Nope, not holding my breath. He's busy, he's happy, great...but he's not a recording musician anymore. Happens to most of them.

dc27

#18 Post by dc27 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm personally not that interested in the whole technically-focussed record that's been talked about, let alone the idea of a three album release simultaneously. It'd be cool, sure, but what is it FOR? He's got nothing to prove. I'd be much more interested in the final Real Illusions record since, in my opinion, they're the only two records in the catalogue that I never get sick of hearing, playing or dissecting. I'd even go as far as to say they're two of the best albums, period. Everything from the composition, to the aesthetic concepts, to the engineering is flawless.

There was a newsletter a few weeks ago saying the next release would probably be Volume 2 of the Piano Reductions, which is super cool. Apart from the last RI record, I'd love to see Vai do the whole 'bonus dvd' thing like TSOL but with a bigger focus on engineering and compositional conception - kinda like the TrueFire course but on how the record was made. But that's just me :lol:

b2

#19 Post by b2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:48 pm

A good melody ... add Mr. Vai and a guitar ... and I be very happy :mrgreen:

Guitar is my favourite instrument.
When used in a less dense orchestration it is possible to hear all details.
The noise coming from different guitar parts and playing style.
It is just like coming closer, so what you hear will in more details visualize in
your imagination. The instrument get more real, more organic, more dynamic.

Of course I can enjoy all kind of orchestration.

I am a sucker for good melodies.
A good melody is THE real treasure for musicians. (My personal option.)
They can be very hard to "find".
And if you find one you could play it on a bagpipe and it still would be good.

But a good melody played on guitar, by an excellent player like Mr. Vai... very nice.
Always interesting to hear new "paths" Steve finds around the guitar neck.

lydian7

#20 Post by lydian7 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:12 am

dc27 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 am
Personally I don't really care for a record of just noodling. I think Vai has nothing to prove technically, and I'd much prefer something more compositional like the final instalment of Real Illusions. Alien Love Secrets was a great record, but it has its place imo :ugeek: :lol:
I disagree with this statement 100%. It takes a long time to write memorable melodies, and an even longer time to present that emotional message through performance. It's mostly not just a case of things coming to you in a dream or a flash of inspiration and the song's there - although admittedly it is cool when it happens - you have to let the harmonies and melodies live in your mind for a while, nurturing them, letting them grow naturally. That takes talent and a lot of effort.

Every song on Alien Love Secrets has a strong melodic thread, and that goes for the solos too. Steve Vai has never been a 'noodler', contrary to popular myth. He composes his solos like a classical composer composes for orchestra, with each and every note carefully considered, holding emotional meaning. He's both cerebral and visceral at the same time, as opposed to just the latter as is the case with other great guitarists, such as Vaughan or Hendrix.

Speaking of collaborations, how cool would it be for him to reach out to Plini for a guest slot? They both have equal admiration for each other, and I think it would be a good generational bridge. I'd personally love to hear what magic that combination would yield! :guitar