NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Message
Author
User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#1 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:52 am

Has anyone heard any gossip/rumours/news about a new studio album from Steve in 2018? I haven't listened to the Guitar World interview yet so don't know if it was mentioned then.

I'm desperate for a new studio album. TSOL is now five years old. What happened to the ALS-type album, just drums, bass and guitar?

Someone cheer me up.

User avatar
b2
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 am
Location: Bergen in Norway
Contact:

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#2 Post by b2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:49 pm

Not heard or read anything. But of course a new studio album would be very welcome.
Would love a "Alien Love Secrets" type album.

But Steve has included some "simpler" songs on other albums.
Like "Frank" on "The Ultra Zone".
Or "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" from "Real Illusions: Reflections".
Both these songs I love.

Not sure what I "want".
Any new music from Steve is always welcome.
I also love many of his more complex songs, so... just play the guitar! :mrgreen:

I hope also Satriani will release a new album in 2018. Not heard anything there either.

User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#3 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 am

It's just that he said he would do an ALS album in the future but nothing has happened since. That was years ago. Was hoping for an update.

I'd obviously love a full-on studio release, but considering how long Steve takes, that could be years away. He just seems to want to do everything except new music!

Not listened to much Satch stuff lately. Last few albums have been unbelievably poor in my opinion.

User avatar
b2
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 am
Location: Bergen in Norway
Contact:

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#4 Post by b2 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:30 am

Vai has a 3-5 year interval between studio albums.
Satriani maybe around 2 year interval.
And 2018 could be the year for a new album from them both.
No pushing, demanding, begging here... just hoping :guitar

Satriani always comes up with some new catchy melodies and good songs.
From his latest album "Shockwave Supernova" my favourite songs are:
- "Lost In A Memory"
- "Stars Race Across The Sky" (very nice guitar tone)
- "Goodbye Supernova" .... this song is amazing. The way Satriani "speaks out every line". (phrasing)
The phrasing is so human speak/sing like.

But yes, maybe less "over the top" playing and less heavy songs from Satriani the latest albums.
More blues and rock maybe. But his melodies, phrasing and guitar tone always gets me.
Pluss his few really spacey-dreaming songs, like "Goodbye Supernova".

User avatar
Bryceybhoy
Member
Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:28 am
Location: Glasgow

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#5 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 am

Shockwave is the only Satch album I've downloaded in years. I liked parts of Super Colossal, but too many of the songs just evolved into 6 minute jams along the same melody. I just got tired of listening to that.

He's got great melody no doubt.

I agree, 2018 could be good. But would be nice to get an update from the mods if there's any news on a new studio album anytime soon.
:guitar

Zongadude
Member
Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:16 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#6 Post by Zongadude » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:46 am

I don't see a new studio album from Steve coming in the near future, but yeah, I would love to ! :)

Anyway it's been some months we haven't had any news, and Steve doesn't seem to be touring at the moment, so.... maybe he's in the studio :)

Prezidentman
Member
Member
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#7 Post by Prezidentman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Steve's mentioned the new album a bunch of times...for example, you can listen to him talk about it briefly here:
https://youtu.be/m9v1QyrJiq8?t=3758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't wait, should be interesting! Just hope we don't have to wait years for it.

Here's a great recent video worth watching. I think the version of FTLOG here sounds very close to the record..interestingly enough Steve didn't have his Legacy amps with him. Really like the tone he got from those Orange amps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbE8ApGM2f0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Satch has also got a new record coming early next year with Chad Smith and Glenn Hughes called "What Happens next".

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#8 Post by lydian7 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:56 pm

b2 wrote:Vai has a 3-5 year interval between studio albums.
Satriani maybe around 2 year interval.
And 2018 could be the year for a new album from them both.
No pushing, demanding, begging here... just hoping :guitar

Satriani always comes up with some new catchy melodies and good songs.
From his latest album "Shockwave Supernova" my favourite songs are:
- "Lost In A Memory"
- "Stars Race Across The Sky" (very nice guitar tone)
- "Goodbye Supernova" .... this song is amazing. The way Satriani "speaks out every line". (phrasing)
The phrasing is so human speak/sing like.

But yes, maybe less "over the top" playing and less heavy songs from Satriani the latest albums.
More blues and rock maybe. But his melodies, phrasing and guitar tone always gets me.
Pluss his few really spacey-dreaming songs, like "Goodbye Supernova".

Satch has only left a year and a half gap before this latest one. The track 'Thunder on the Mountain' sounds epic (soundclips on Satriani's website). It's produced by Mike Fraser, Joe's producer on Crystal Planet!

Shockwave was a pretty cool album. Lost in a Memory, On Peregrine Wings and Goodbye Supernova are my favourites.

I seem to remember Vai saying he wouldn't leave it another four years before releasing the next album. It's been almost six.

Prezidentman
Member
Member
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#9 Post by Prezidentman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 pm

lydian7 wrote:
I seem to remember Vai saying he wouldn't leave it another four years before releasing the next album. It's been almost six.
Well, at least we got Modern Primitive last year. But yeah, this new record can't come soon enough.

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#10 Post by lydian7 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:18 am

Prezidentman wrote: Well, at least we got Modern Primitive last year. But yeah, this new record can't come soon enough.
MP doesn't count, the material's like 30 years old! :lol:

But seriously, I know there must be a butt-tonne of work going in to creatively restoring old material to be in a releasable state, and I thought it was a wonderful album. Great to see Townsend contributing.

Which reminds me - didn't I read an interview with Devin about a possible collaboration album with Steve? That would be all kinds of awesome.

Prezidentman
Member
Member
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#11 Post by Prezidentman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 pm

lydian7 wrote:
Prezidentman wrote: Well, at least we got Modern Primitive last year. But yeah, this new record can't come soon enough.
MP doesn't count, the material's like 30 years old! :lol:

But seriously, I know there must be a butt-tonne of work going in to creatively restoring old material to be in a releasable state, and I thought it was a wonderful album. Great to see Townsend contributing.

Which reminds me - didn't I read an interview with Devin about a possible collaboration album with Steve? That would be all kinds of awesome.
I follow Devin pretty closely and all I've heard him say is that he's open to the idea of doing more stuff...even to the idea of doing some shows playing the S&R material, but that was pretty much it. He did sing on that one song on MP and they have performed together at the Starmus show in Norway recently for the first time in over 20+ years, so that's a something. The thing is both him and Steve are some of the busiest guys in the business so that alone would probably be a major challenge and I don't see them forming a band or anything :lol: But hopefully, they will continue to collaborate to some degree, coz they truly are some of the most unique and talented artists of our time.

User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm
Location: UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#12 Post by lydian7 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 am

I think it was a click-bait headline that caught my eye a few months back about 'Townsend and Vai to Reunite!' or whatever.

I remember being excited at the Retinal Circus when Steve came on to the screen. That was such a memorable experience. And at Steve's Story of Light gig he was playing Epicloud before the show began. And then, of course, there was Devin's vocals on The Lost Chord, and Steve on Devin's Triumph.

I think it would be an interesting project for Steve and Devin to collaborate. Steve has stated in the past how much he considers Devin a true musical genius, and Townsend has offered similar praise of Steve. Hypothetically, I can see it being a problem in that both artists are usually in complete control of the creative process - though Devin allowed more input on Transcendance from his band members than previous albums.

I hear so much of Steve's harmonically modal influences in Devin's work, but he takes that inspiration in to completely new territories. I think a new collaboration after so many years would be interesting and monumental.

Prezidentman
Member
Member
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:33 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#13 Post by Prezidentman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am

lydian7 wrote:
I hear so much of Steve's harmonically modal influences in Devin's work, but he takes that inspiration in to completely new territories. I think a new collaboration after so many years would be interesting and monumental.
Definitely. That would be very cool. But yeah, they're both so unique and different..who knows if this would even work beyond the odd guess vocal/solo appearance on each others records. Also, I really think a lot of this sort of stuff comes down to the schedules and logistics. Devin has been in an pretty much non-stop album/tour cycle for the last decade. If they did work on something it would probably have to a be very quick sort of a side project. We'll see. Would be awesome, though!

User avatar
b2
Member
Member
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 am
Location: Bergen in Norway
Contact:

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#14 Post by b2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:30 am

Nikki Sixx, "Deeper with Steve Vai":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrivjUoOD8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hear/see from around 41:30 and out. Or the complete interview.
Around 42:30 Steve talks about something that could be a new "Alien" record :mrgreen:

dc27
Member
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:30 am

Re: NEW STUDIO ALBUM FOR 2018?

#15 Post by dc27 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 am

Personally I don't really care for a record of just noodling. I think Vai has nothing to prove technically, and I'd much prefer something more compositional like the final instalment of Real Illusions. Alien Love Secrets was a great record, but it has its place imo :ugeek: :lol:

Post Reply