Steve Vai 10 Day Fast

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

Steve Vai 10 Day Fast

#1 Post by BigBadMoFoGangsta » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:29 pm

As long as I have been a fan of Vai I've just recently learned that he engages in the yearly ritual of a 10-day fast. To be able to fast for 10 days without food requires incredible discipline I imagine. I have only ever fasted a a maximum of probably 3 days in my life. When I did this I actually had a lot of bellyfat to the tune of about 20 extra pounds, so I was trying to lose weight faster than I could on a reduced calorie diet.

I would love to execute a 10-day fast at least once in my life to prove that I have the discipline to do so. However, I have reached a very healthy body weight over the past 3 or so years by simply engaging in a technique called IF or Intermittent Fasting. Along with jogging 3+ miles 2 or 3x a week. In other words, I no longer have any extra belly fat.

So, while I would love to execute a 10-day fast at this point in my life just to prove I have the discipline I am wondering if I have become too skinny to do so.

Which brings me back to Mr. Vai and his 10-day fasts. Steve has never been overweight in his life to the best of my knowledge. In fact, that's kind of an understatement. He's always kinda been on the skinny side in my opinion. How does one, including Mr. Vai, safely engage in a 10-day fast yearly, strictly in the name of discipline (not weight loss) when you already have such little fat reserves to begin with? I would love to experience those feelings of euphoria but I think there's a very fine line between euphoria and ending up dead. Maybe the lines aren't as close as I am envisioning them.

As much as I love Steven's music I find this new revelation (for me anyway, :) ) fascinating and would love to hear Steve talk about it more.

Steve, if you happen to get wind of this message, feel free to expand upon this subject. And anybody else who wants to chime in.

Thanks for reading

Jeries

Re: Steve Vai 10 Day Fast

#2 Post by Jeries » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:36 pm

I've heard him talk about this-

He does a long one and a short one I think once a year- or maybe 2 short and one long a year--

it was a coincidence that the long fast coincided with him tracking the leads of P&W/FTLOG and he recorded it during his fast- he didn't do it purposely or try to get that mind set/etc.

I think he drinks watered down juice and water.

Also- Don't do it.

BigBadMoFoGangsta

#3 Post by BigBadMoFoGangsta » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Jeries wrote:I've heard him talk about this-

He does a long one and a short one I think once a year- or maybe 2 short and one long a year--

it was a coincidence that the long fast coincided with him tracking the leads of P&W/FTLOG and he recorded it during his fast- he didn't do it purposely or try to get that mind set/etc.

I think he drinks watered down juice and water.

Also- Don't do it.
Hi there. I'm sorry for the delayed response. I posted this message awhile back and forgot about it. Thank You for your post.

Yes, I think drinking juice would make the fasting easier. If that is indeed what he does. And he probably needs a lot of glucose in his bloodstream to play that fast.

A 10 day water fast (no juice) would be difficult but I know lot's of people have done them. But you have to know the risks. I probably never will but I always think about it. Time will tell.

Bryceybhoy

#4 Post by Bryceybhoy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 pm

Did he not do a 14 day fast when recording Alien Love Secrets? And I think he did one during the recording of P&W. Not sure.

I would be very careful about a 10 day fast. Starving your body for that long is very dangerous and you must take proteins and vitamins otherwise your body will be missing vital minerals. I've wanted to do it too, but you really need to know what you're doing.